KLS | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KLS

Reaction Score
rt bb fan, she did play defense; however, she's often guarding guards who are a lot smaller and quicker than she is. She's not Gabby on defense and never will be. She has improved her rebounding getting 6 yesterday. Did you mention that other than Kia scoring 9 points, she had zero assists, zero rebounds and zero steals? They both had an off game. They will show up tomorrow. Get off KLS's back. Natalie will play tomorrow as Oregon has a couple of bigs. That should get the others a bit more rest.

Reaction Score
I guess we all agree Lou didn't have her best game, but I don't think it was terrible either. In particular, the turnovers are troublesome. But something that has been mentioned very little in this thread, except for the post above, is that she was getting beaten up all day on offense. That didn't stop her from trying either, but it definitely made her less effective and was the cause of most of the turnovers. Sometimes I get the impression she is getting accused of being "chicken", and that she most definitely is not. Stewie didn't like getting banged around either the first couple of years, and I think Lou has gotten over that more quickly than she did. In fact, I'd say she's probably more hard nosed than just about any one of the starters except Kia. Good thing too, with that whack in the face she took the previous game. And it didn't even phase her. And I'm very impressed by the fact that she never obviously retaliates, which proves she has more self-control than I would have.
Keep in mind, when she attracts that much attention, someone else is being ignored.

Don't understand why you made this post as a comment to what I said? Perhaps you should re-read what a person posts before directing your comments to them. I have no problem with anything you've. stated (good job), but it should have simply been posted as a "new" item.

Reaction Score
rt bb fan, she did play defense; however, she's often guarding guards who are a lot smaller and quicker than she is. She's not Gabby on defense and never will be. She has improved her rebounding getting 6 yesterday. Did you mention that other than Kia scoring 9 points, she had zero assists, zero rebounds and zero steals? They both had an off game. They will show up tomorrow. Get off KLS's back. Natalie will play tomorrow as Oregon has a couple of bigs. That should get the others a bit more rest.
yes ..... with Oregon playing two bigs it should open the outside. I expect lots of made threes for the team this game.

Reaction Score
You make some good points: they're good points because I thought the same at the time :)I didn't understand why Geno would take Gabby or Pheesa out, but not Lou. For example, with either Gabby or Pheesa out, and if the other shoots an outside shot, there is almost zero chance of UConn getting the offensive rebound.

But maybe we're looking at the wrong end of this. Precisely because Geno leaves Lou in so much, maybe, just maybe (I know it's a very long shot) it means that Geno actually might know more than you and me. Maybe Lou supplies intangibles that no one else can give the team. Despite her turnovers, missed shots, and sometimes being slow-footed in man defense, Lou is an incredibly smart player. She adds tremendous stability. In an investment portfolio, we'd say she was "low beta." For reasons that only that stupid and unsuccessful head coach of UConn knows, Geno trusts Lou.
C'mon folks, UCONN is only playing 6, so there is not a lot of room to sit down any regular. Katie is one of our best players and will remain so. Why Geno never sat her down, none of us will know until the book comes out. Or, if we beat Oregon, maybe HBO will ask Geno that question. I do agree with " Beercats'" ( above ) plea that Crystal show up again on offense. What happened to the Baylor game three point shooter? Crystal put up two airballs yesterday. Must be nerves. She is passing well, and drives to the hoop nicely . However, her turnovers remain inexcusable, and she cannot seem to score from the outside. This is really a limitation, when she is the only player who can come off the bench. Is it turning out to be true that this year's UCONN freshman class is really lame?

Reaction Score
Interesting talking about Lou not showing up, but Kia didn't do all that much either. Point being, with this team, every game someone else steps up, has a big game. And tomorrow is a new game. Who's turn will it be?

You guys are a riot. Does defense count, because frankly there wasn't a whole lot of it after Kia went to the bench with two fouls? This board is often way too offense-minded as if that's all that matters.

Reaction Score
I guess if you don't play any defense, you are not tired so playing 40 minutes is easy.

Every once in a while, Geno's hyperbole hit's a nerve of mine.:( I realize he wants to get under Lou's skin and she needs it but I do not see her not 'trying' to play defense. Some days are just less successful than others.

I do think it is still an issue that when her shooting starts off not very well, she tends to let it get into her head. I think her carelessness with the ball was a lot worse than her defense. The good news is she usually follows up a subpar performance with a good one. :oops:
The singular thing that I noticed, outside of her shot being a smidgen off in that 2nd half, was the turnovers and that is so atypical of Lou. She's usually appreciably better with her passes but not yesterday. She isn't a really good defender but she does move her feet and typically, with her length she makes things a bit difficult for whomever she's guarding. Small incremental improvements. I expect her to have a really good Elite Eight game tomorrow.

Reaction Score
The singular thing that I noticed, outside of her shot being a smidgen off in that 2nd half, was the turnovers and that is so atypical of Lou. She's usually appreciably better with her passes but not yesterday. She isn't a really good defender but she does move her feet and typically, with her length she makes things a bit difficult for whomever she's guarding. Small incremental improvements. I expect her to have a really good Elite Eight game tomorrow.
I think maybe you aren't giving UCLA enough credit ... I seem to remember the whole team contribute to an inordinate number of missed bunnies ..... you know what Geno says about missed layups!

maybe UCLA put up a good game?

Reaction Score
I think unbeknownst to us, Lou has been dealing with a series of injuries, each of which are hurting her performance. I think right now she is dealing with sore neck, shoulder, wrist, and hip. I of course have no inside info, but just watching her body language after landing on the floor, while covering on defense, and even after making shots I've note that she goes to touch certain parts of her body. Now, these aren't excuses, because every player in the tourney is playing with a bunch of nicks and bangs. But shooters are different animals than say cutters and post players like Pheese and Gabby. Little things upset their rhythm and can throw them off for months.
I'm inclined to think that you're right. I've seen some of the collisions she's been involved with and some of the horrific and obvious hatchet jobs that have been inflicted on her. It seems she's taken more of a pounding than anyone on the team and I think she's keeping a bit of the pain to herself so as not to be out of the lineup for any length of time and is silently fighting through aches and bruises that have an effect on her movement and to an extent, her stroke. What I think is that if UConn beats Oregon and I, of course, assume they will, she'll have a week to recharge her batteries and to heal a bit from the banging she's been subjected to. Yesterday she was really hammered on maybe the worst no call I've seen in a very, very long time. The officials were out of wack yesterday, to say the least.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was at the game and after Lou got it going in the 1st half, UCLA played her more aggressively in the 2nd half. Whoever was guarding Lou would play her tight at the arc. Whenever Lou put the ball on the floor, and try to beat her defender off the dribble, a help defender (often Saniya's defender) would double her.

Lou dribbled into double-teams several times in the 2nd half leading to TO's, but also made several good passes leading to baskets.

UCLA was the most athletic team UConn played all season IMO. They were well coached and played good defense, and yet, as one BY'er pointed out, the 15 pt mov was the largest defeat for UCLA this season, including games at Baylor & SC. They also beat OR by 16 at home and beat Stanford on the road

What I expect Geno will tell her is that when a double-team comes she can't force it and needs to get the ball to one of her teammates.

Reaction Score
She had a bad game. She had as many turnovers as rebounds, 6. She just seemed to be a little off. I would
think she will bounce back nicely on Monday evening.

Agreed. I will say that I was a bit dissappointed with Lou's play while watching the game. That said, I thought she got fouled a few times that were not called that led to a TO. And outside of having 4 more TO than Saniya their stats were similar. Plus both played a role in the full-court press. I recognize that Saniya played a better game, not doubt, but the difference in everyone going crazy over her play vs KLS having a terrible game is interesting. What is also interesting is Kia has zero assists, 0 rebounds and no FT attempts but nothing said of her play.

## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF Tyler Phommachanh A TO BLK S MIN
33 Samuelson, Katie Lou f 5-12 2-8 3-4 1 5 6 1 15 2 6 0 1 40
11 Nurse, Kia.......... g 3-5 3-4 0-0 0 0 0 3 9 0 2 0 0 31
12 Chong, Saniya....... g 4-6 3-5 5-6 1 4 5 0 16 3 2 0 0 38

Trust me, I see the games and understand that Kia is a better defender. However, what is interesting is that Lou beats her in steals by quite a bit (51 vs 32,) blocks (8 vs 3 minimal but just pointing out,) and defensive rebounds (113 vs 55.) I realize stats do not tell the entire story but looking at defensive stats and Kia being a great defender and Lou being lousy seems someone is getting a bad wrap.

All that to say, if I were Lou I would train all summer on leg strength, agility, and jumping (pliometrics.) I would also study tape of Pheese in rebound and post positioning.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Agreed. I will say that I was a bit dissappointed with Lou's play while watching the game. That said, I thought she got fouled a few times that were not called that led to a TO. And outside of having 4 more TO than Saniya their stats were similar. Plus both played a role in the full-court press. I recognize that Saniya played a better game, not doubt, but the difference in everyone going crazy over her play vs KLS having a terrible game is interesting. What is also interesting is Kia has zero assists, 0 rebounds and no FT attempts but nothing said of her play.

## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF Tyler Phommachanh A TO BLK S MIN
11 Nurse, Kia..... g 3-5 3-4 0-0 0 0 0 3 9 0 2 0 0 31
12 Chong, Saniya.. g 4-6 3-5 5-6 1 4 5 0 16 3 2 0 0 38

Trust me, I see the games and understand that Kia is a better defender. However, what is interesting is that Lou beats her in steals by quite a bit (51 vs 32,) blocks (8 vs 3 minimal but just pointing out,) and defensive rebounds (113 vs 55.) I realize stats do not tell the entire story but looking at defensive stats and Kia being a great defender and Lou being lousy seems someone is getting a bad wrap.

All that to say, if I were Lou I would train all summer on leg strength, agility, and jumping (pliometrics.) I would also study tape of Pheese in rebound and post positioning.
A follow-up on Lou and steals:

She made a good steal yesterday probably mid-way through the second quarter. She wormed her way down court and charmed in a 4-footer to complete the play. But ESPN was coming out of the studio and of course they had to jabber about pronouncing QU and the play wasn't called at all. And of course no replay, because the next replay had to focus on DB belaboring the backdoor pass that Gabby "called."

Call the friggin' game!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Lou is one of the players that other teams have targeted.... they cover her like a second shadow to prevent her from going off 10-10 from behind the arc. She is being covered.... don't worry Chicken Little she will be fine.
here is one of those "turnovers" Note ref not blowing his whistle.

17553609_1361245260600397_3079576272801610895_n.jpg

17425971_1361245317267058_1598213811341722347_n.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
From Referee Bruce Morris's viewpoint, if there was a hack on Lou's arm by Canada, he couldn't have seen it from that angle since Lou's body was between him and the evidence, so you can't expect him to call it. Another official with the same line of sight as the camera would have had to make the call.

But IMHO, the two still photos above don't prove that there was a foul, or that there wasn't. There would have been a foul if and only if Canada's right hand had contacted Lou's left hand during its upward motion between the two images. If it contacted the ball instead of Lou's arm, there was no foul.

Reaction Score
If Katie Lou thinks she might have a chance to play her sister, I think she'll play possessed to have that chance.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Katie Lou thinks she might have a chance to play her sister, I think she'll play possessed to have that chance.

Not always the best for a player to overhype the game. Best to treat all games in a similar manner.

Reaction Score
seems like a lot of times the team gets up 15 playing tough, aggressive but foul causing defense. Then they back off so they don't get too many fouls, just maintain that lead. Gabby and Collier come out for a rest because they have a few fouls and they play harder so they can use the rest. Shows up at the end when we missed a number of foul shots, weak legs. KLS has no fouls so no need to take her out. She plays at a more relaxed pace, so maybe not as tired, but that is because Geno seems to use her more out front so her height and length mess with passing lanes, not going for rebounds, then needles her for her lack of rebounds. That is Geno. Love him or hate him. I love the guy. We also don't see Kia getting too many defensive rebounds because it seems like Geno has her being the one who is running down court for the fast break layup if Gabby or Collier can get the rebound. We can't complain that someone isn't doing something if Geno has them doing something else. I trust him a lot better than me at coaching basketball.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
If Lou had a sub-par or bad game against the Lady Bruins,then we should be expecting a really good game next from Lou .
The last time Lou had a game where she was short of everyone's expectations,she came out the next game and was on fire.
I would not be surprised if she does that Monday night,and everyone here gives her is a pat on the back,not a kick in the rear.

Reaction Score
From Referee Bruce Morris's viewpoint, if there was a hack on Lou's arm by Canada, he couldn't have seen it from that angle since Lou's body was between him and the evidence, so you can't expect him to call it. Another official with the same line of sight as the camera would have had to make the call.

But IMHO, the two still photos above don't prove that there was a foul, or that there wasn't. There would have been a foul if and only if Canada's right hand had contacted Lou's left hand during its upward motion between the two images. If it contacted the ball instead of Lou's arm, there was no foul.
Interesting take on the two stills I have no experience as a BB Referee, and admit this is the OPINION of a "layman"... but in the first still, I see Canada striking Lou's right hip/thigh with her left hip...which is normally called a "blocking" foul (if I'm not mistaken)...And...it seems that Referee Morris could have seen that contact... and in same still Canada's left arm is striking Lou's right arm/shoulder and chin...which Referee Morris may have been blocked out of seeing... but then in the second still, Lou's head snapping backward seems like pretty solid evidence that she was smacked pretty solidly in the face/chin... and I would hope that Referee Morris would have been able to see that. And, since Lou had the ball, one would think that one of the other two Referees would have had an angle to have observed any one of the at least 3 contacts on Lou ... Just my Opinion of course... either there was a foul, or Lou should be nominated for an Oscar... Again, I have never been, nor do I ever want to be a Basketball Referee... this is just My OPINION from what the two stills show.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I could hear the slap up in row P.

Reaction Score
Lou is Lou - if Geno has faith in her then that's enough for me. She's still just a sophomore playing a game - she's not performing brain surgery. It's great to analyze the game but we need to remember that these are kids essentially playing a game for free for our entertainment and their pride. I get carried away too (a lot) but lately I've tried to take a step back and realize the pressure these kids are under. I just want them all to look back on it w/fondness knowing they worked hard and had fun. Not everyone can be a Kelly Faris on defense.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It was the shoes?
Actually it was freaken Napheesa Collier wearing her hair in a poney tail and not a bun! Get back to the good bun Karma!!!

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Bruce Morris has made many calls that he doesn't actually see. It seems like many calls are made under the assumption that there was contact. For example when a defender is standing with their arms straight up in the air and is called for hitting the shooter's arm. But in the post with the two still shots, he saw her get mugged as did at least one of the two other refs.

Reaction Score

11 Nurse, Kia..... g 3-5 3-4 0-0 0 0 0 3 9 0 2 0 0 31
12 Chong, Saniya.. g 4-6 3-5 5-6 1 4 5 0 16 3 2 0 0 38

Kia doesn't have Lou's height, Gabby's "hops", Saniya's quickness, or Pheesa's nose for the ball. What she does have is a strong basketball IQ and heart. Not that the others don't, but Kia has it in spades in my opinion and makes the most out of the natural talents she does have; no one questions her effort even if she's not putting up the number others do. The problem with KLS is that she has set such a high standard for herself that her fans (and there are many on this board) are disappointed when she doesn't meet their expectations. I would expect that the emergence of Collier and Williams and the attention afforded them might be part of the reason as well. Everyone likes to see his or her favorite player reap accolades. What I object to is the tendency on this board to exalt one's favorite player by diminishing another (as is done here) and Kia's name seems to come up quite often in these instances. BTW, Kia is rarely in a position to make a rebound because she's usually on the perimeter, defensively and offensively. She 's certainly not going to out jump her teammates either. However, she is usually the first one down the floor on a fast break. FWIW, 60% accuracy on general shooting and 75% on 3-pointers is pretty good. Obviously her three fouls didn't help as they resulted in limited minutes but I thought two of them were questionable. She and an opponent went up for a 50-50 ball; one lands on her feet and the other splatters. Kia gets the foul. It also seems like this is one of those games where she deferred to teammates who might have had a better shot and their stats benefitted. Actually, she does that quite often. I think Kia has proven in this tournament that she can toss up 20+ points when she needs to. KLS is a great player. I think all of the negativity on this board about her performance is much ado about nothing. It's a team sport; everyone contributes. She'll be fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom