KK has a fan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KK has a fan

Reaction Score
How many actual games has KK played for UCONN? Not even gonna wait for an answer. It's zero.

BTW who was 2nd in the entire nation in assists last season? Again I'll answer for you - Nika. Who broke the record for total assists in a season, passing Sue Bird, the greatest PG ever to play the game? Nika.

I continue to be absolutely stunned at the people who seem to want to diminish NIka's contributions. There is zero chance - I'll say it again for emphasis ... ZERO CHANCE that Geno demotes Nika to the bench as a non-starter. Unless she's injured.

Honestly, and this is a small rant not necessarily directed at you, but I'm tired of people not giving Nika the credit she deserves. Paige may be the face of UCONN WCBB, but Nika is the heart and soul. She's the engine that drives the entire team. She BLEEDS blue. We are so blessed to have her.
Umm, I want Nika to start as PG. I’m a fan of Nika’s, and I really enjoy watching her play. I am not part of the BY that worships her and doesn’t recognize her limitations as a player.

One reason that Nika broke the assists records is that she took many fewer shots per game than Sue or Paige.

I was really impressed with KK’s talent, though I have no idea if that will transfer to better competition or how long it will take for her to develop into a college player. If she develops quickly, she could take a lot of minutes from Nika. My opinion.

Paige is more than the face of UConn. She is the best player on the team, a far, far better player than Nika. As is Azzi.

I have no problem with your posts on the BY. I always appreciate them. But you are not Geno, you haven’t seen KK in practice, and you can’t guarantee there’s zero chance that Geno will « demote » Nika sometime during the season. If Geno eventually starts Paige as PG and plays Nika off the bench, « stabbing Nika in the back, » as someone said, I will remind you of your guarantee. Geno will do what he needs to do to win a championship.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Umm, I want Nika to start as PG. I’m a fan of Nika’s, and I really enjoy watching her play. I am not part of the BY that worships her and doesn’t recognize her limitations as a player.

Paige is more than the face of UConn. She is the best player on the team, a far, far better player than Nika. As is Azzi.

i don't know how many here 'worships' nika --i doubt it's many -- and almost all see her limitations and everyone else's. all players have flaws; even stewie, maya, diana -- and paige -- although they're some of the best ever to play.

OTOH, nika's many contributions to the team -- some pretty unique and vital -- are recognized by a goodly number on the BY. ... perhaps including yourself?

it's kinda odd that some folks get some kind of kick out of focusing on nika's limitations, considering that everyone has them, while pooh-poohing some of nika's outstanding positives, which not everyone offers, offseting some of her heinous flaws.

####
AND everybody, i hope, agrees that paige is the best player -- in the past and in the future if the evil jinx doesn't persist. she is the 'face of the team' for anyone who considers important. as far as i'm concerned she is a 'far, far better' player that anyone in college and that includes everybody on this team ... so why especially does nika warrant the comparison? it sure seems like another attempt to diminish muhl.

as for azzi, i'll wait to see if she is 'far, far better' than nika. that would be great, but so far she hasn't convinced me.

Reaction Score
i don't know how many here 'worships' nika --i doubt it's many -- and almost all see her limitations and everyone else's. all players have flaws; even stewie, maya, diana -- and paige -- although they're some of the best ever to play.

OTOH, nika's many contributions to the team -- some pretty unique and vital -- are recognized by a goodly number on the BY. ... perhaps including yourself?

it's kinda odd that some folks get some kind of kick out of focusing on nika's limitations, considering that everyone has them, while pooh-poohing some of nika's outstanding positives, which not everyone offers, offseting some of her heinous flaws.

####
AND everybody, i hope, agrees that paige is the best player -- in the past and in the future if the evil jinx doesn't persist. she is the 'face of the team' for anyone who considers important. as far as i'm concerned she is a 'far, far better' player that anyone in college and that includes everybody on this team ... so why especially does nika warrant the comparison? it sure seems like another attempt to diminish muhl.

as for azzi, i'll wait to see if she is 'far, far better' than nika. that would be great, but so far she hasn't convinced me.
I want Nika to start as PG. I think she’s great.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Once again, and predictably, the BY proves itself incapable of a serious discussion involving Nika. For the record, not seeing everything the way you see it doesn't make someone a hater....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nika was 3rd in the nation in total minutes played last year, only slightly behind Van Lith and Amoore. I think Geno plans to give her breaks this season, by using Paige and KK. Look for Nika to keep up the intensity and not wear down as much. I think KK likely will be the 2nd player off the bench, maybe the 1st.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am in total agreement...KK is special. I look forward to watching her with the rest of the Huskies. I know it's exhibition games, but KK is nice....like ice!!
That's right!!! You tell 'em shorty ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
How many actual games has KK played for UCONN? Not even gonna wait for an answer. It's zero.

BTW who was 2nd in the entire nation in assists last season? Again I'll answer for you - Nika. Who broke the record for total assists in a season, passing Sue Bird, the greatest PG ever to play the game? Nika.

I continue to be absolutely stunned at the people who seem to want to diminish NIka's contributions. There is zero chance - I'll say it again for emphasis ... ZERO CHANCE that Geno demotes Nika to the bench as a non-starter. Unless she's injured.

Honestly, and this is a small rant not necessarily directed at you, but I'm tired of people not giving Nika the credit she deserves. Paige may be the face of UCONN WCBB, but Nika is the heart and soul. She's the engine that drives the entire team. She BLEEDS blue. We are so blessed to have her.
No problem with wanting to see more from KK against D1 competition BEFORE assessing her potential. That's fair. I vividly remember seeing Paige's first game during her freshman year. I was convinced after watching her that she was (as reported by others) the real deal. Geno and his staff have seen KK in person and on videotape. They would not have offered her if they didn't believe she could flourish in this program, and help them win games. The talent is there! I'm convinced of that.

I looked at her play and compared it to the experienced returning veterans that played in the first two games. IMO, she represented herself well. Of course, like everyone else, I want to see what she looks like in those first 4 games against Dayton, NC St. Maryland, and Minnesota. I'm not in the camp that thinks she should start now. That'll come next year after Nika graduates. I have Nika as one of my starting 5. Nothing will change my opinion on that. KK will get plenty of minutes this year.

I'm reminded of what Geno tells his players every year at the beginning of the season........." give me a reason to play you, or a reason to keep you on the bench." KK is a baller and will get her minutes. ;) That's a branch I'm boldly stepping out on without fear or trepidation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

One reason that Nika broke the assists records is that she took many fewer shots per game than Sue or Paige.

I was really impressed with KK’s talent, though I have no idea if that will transfer to better competition or how long it will take for her to develop into a college player. If she develops quickly, she could take a lot of minutes from Nika. My opinion.

I have no problem with your posts on the BY. I always appreciate them. But you are not Geno, you haven’t seen KK in practice, and you can’t guarantee there’s zero chance that Geno will « demote » Nika sometime during the season. If Geno eventually starts Paige as PG and plays Nika off the bench, « stabbing Nika in the back, » as someone said, I will remind you of your guarantee. Geno will do what he needs to do to win a championship.
Not sure I get your post at all. Caroline Doty was basically playing on 1 good leg and she started her senior year. It took 2 injuries before Maya was made a starter. Diana did not start early in her freshman season, starting 14 games later in the season. The reason? Injury to Sveta. Neither did Nykesha (start her 1st season).

As for the "Nika worship" comment, no idea where that came from, or if you were referring to me, since you replied to my post, but that particular kind of snark is just silly. BTW every player not named Maya has limitations. To be honest, both Paige and Azzi have both been limited by injuries. And I'd rather not drone on about the "limitations" of every player on the roster. Good grief - we have the best team in the nation.

And what difference does it make if Nika "took many fewer shots per game than Sue or Paige"? Just wow... Nika poured in over 7 PPG last season, certainly a solid number when you have scorers on the team like Liya, Azzi and Lou, not to mention Dorka and Aubrey. You WANT your incredible Lieberman nominated PG to DO that. (somehow I missed your comment about how the "Nika worship" apparently spread to the Lieberman nominating committee). BTW know how many points HOF PG Ticha Penechiero averaged her entire WNBA career? 6.1 PPG.

But yeah, please be sure to save my post and bring it up if Nika somehow gets demoted to the bench. I can't say I will do the same when the season ends and she's started every game. :confused:

Reaction Score
Not sure I get your post at all. Caroline Doty was basically playing on 1 good leg and she started her senior year. It took 2 injuries before Maya was made a starter. Diana did not start early in her freshman season, starting 14 games later in the season. The reason? Injury to Sveta. Neither did Nykesha (start her 1st season).

As for the "Nika worship" comment, no idea where that came from, or if you were referring to me, since you replied to my post, but that particular kind of snark is just silly. BTW every player not named Maya has limitations. To be honest, both Paige and Azzi have both been limited by injuries. And I'd rather not drone on about the "limitations" of every player on the roster. Good grief - we have the best team in the nation.

And what difference does it make if Nika "took many fewer shots per game than Sue or Paige"? Just wow... Nika poured in over 7 PPG last season, certainly a solid number when you have scorers on the team like Liya, Azzi and Lou, not to mention Dorka and Aubrey. You WANT your incredible Lieberman nominated PG to DO that. (somehow I missed your comment about how the "Nika worship" apparently spread to the Lieberman nominating committee). BTW know how many points HOF PG Ticha Penechiero averaged her entire WNBA career? 6.1 PPG.

But yeah, please be sure to save my post and bring it up if Nika somehow gets demoted to the bench. I can't say I will do the same when the season ends and she's started every game. :confused:
For the last time, I want Nika to start. I’m a fan of hers.

Worship is an exaggeration.

I don’t want to get into an extended dispute with you. I really like your posts, and I mostly agree with you about things.

See you in another thread.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This BY Nika debate sure has legs.

Speaking of KK: It looks like she's got all the shots and most of the moves. Her real test will come when a D1 player splats her on the floor after driving for a layup. Will she be able to bounce back? I'll guess yes and hope to see it.

Reaction Score
KK has been the most impressive freshman on the European tour. She is explosive off the dribble and a relentless defender. Clearly, KK will get a lot of PT this coming season. But let’s be clear. Nika is and will be the starting pg all season long. The great thing about having KK on the team is that Nika won’t have to play 40 mpg this season.

UConn has 4 outstanding guards that they can plug and play right now: Paige, Azzi, Nika & KK. Ashlynn is close to making it 5 and Ines has proven that she can step in if needed. With everyone healthy, UConn’s backcourt is as strong as I have ever seen it.

That brings us to the frontcourt. Right now, Aaliyah & Aubrey start, with Ice and Quadence off the bench. Caroline, Ayanna and Amari are all question marks due to health issues and or their perceived ability to step up in prime time.

If UConn can get quality PT out of every frontcourt player, the Huskies will be formidable. But that still remains to be seen.
I don't think that any good coach in the country would sit KK Arnold she is too good ! And she plays pretty good defense too,

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am in total agreement...KK is special. I look forward to watching her with the rest of the Huskies. I know it's exhibition games, but KK is nice....like ice!!

Special KK!

1692610211092.png

Reaction Score
Nika was 3rd in the nation in total minutes played last year, only slightly behind Van Lith and Amoore. I think Geno plans to give her breaks this season, by using Paige and KK. Look for Nika to keep up the intensity and not wear down as much. I think KK likely will be the 2nd player off the bench, maybe the 1st.
Nika will start. With the guards Geno has at his disposal he'll probably play a 3-guard offense and to start, Nika will be one of them. And why not? The frontcourt is a little thin and the backcourt is nice and fat.

Nika played an outrageous number of minutes last year because she had to. This year there ought to be no need for that. I have no problem with Nika's minutes being reduced to 20-25 per game if 1 or more of the other guards prove effective enough to take those minutes. Geno should have the luxury of plug and play. There are huskies on the bench, but none of them are dogs.

Going to be a fun year. I feel like I've been transported back in time to the years of Sue and Diana, Svet and Shea, etc.

Reaction Score
The shiny new object seems to be the talent of KK. Watching the games it is apparent the teams they are playing would be a very bad college teams here. When all your Freshman look good you know you can't base any evaluation of talent on what you are watching. Nika is the two time DPOY and UCONN needs her leadership more than her points so she will be the starter. When will the Q replacing Azzi talk start?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The shiny new object seems to be the talent of KK. Watching the games it is apparent the teams they are playing would be a very bad college teams here. When all your Freshman look good you know you can't base any evaluation of talent on what you are watching. Nika is the two time DPOY and UCONN needs her leadership more than her points so she will be the starter. When will the Q replacing Azzi talk start?
Your point is well taken. UConn has faced two less athletic teams and blown them out. In those games, KK has looked fabulous. The proof of the pudding will be when she faces some of the powerhouse teams in UConn’s OOC schedule. Like all UConn freshmen I expect to see good & bad from KK. I also expect to see her improve over the course of the season to the point where she will be a significant factor, off the bench, in the postseason.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's the consensus so far. She doesn't need to start. She will get close to starter's minutes....IMO. The more she plays....the more she plays. We've seen in just two games how special she is. I could tell Paige was special after that fist game her freshman year. KK has shown me enough. I'm sold. :cool:KK will know the system and be a lot more comfortable with the offense come March. All things in time.
To follow up on this earlier thought................I'm not suggesting that I'm an expert on evaluating talent, but........I know a gamer when I see one. A former NFL player who was co-hosting the Good Morning Football show on Friday was asked how long did it take him to tell if a rookie was any good. He said he could tell after one practice. He didn't need a game to tell. He said..."If a guy can play, he'll do things on the field that will demonstrate he can play, and that he knows what he's doing."

My son was the assistant coach for our local high school's girl's JV basketball team for 8 years. They held tryouts twice a year. I would always attend those tryouts just to see the new talent that was coming in that year. There was ALWAYS one or two girls that stood out from the others It was not hard to tell the girls that had played before (and could play) and those that could not. A lot of them could not dribble, pass or shoot, but they wanted to play. You could tell almost immediately those that were going to make the team and those that had no hope. We've been watching UConn WBB long enough to recognize a baller when we see one.

I need 4-5 games at the beginning of the season to tell what kind of team we have, because 1 game does not a season make. I don't need that long to judge if a player can play or not. Again..........I had no problem seeing that Paige was everything she was touted to be and that she was the real deal. I read about her all summer but had never seen her play. I needed to see her play at THIS level against D1 competition. I was sold on Paige after the first game and wanted the ball in HER hands after that. I can't tell at THIS point in the season who will be the starting PG next year, but don't be surprised if it's KK. ;) She's good now. She'll be much better this time next year after she's been around the block once.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That name is taken by Kaleena Smith

Greg Kelser, who played with Magic at Michigan State, was called Special K. So was Larry Kenon, who played with Dr. J. in the pros. I’m not suggesting that we call her that; I was just responding to the post calling her special. But she could be the first Special KK.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Greg Kelser, who played with Magic at Michigan State, was called Special K. So was Larry Kenon, who played with Dr. J. in the pros. I’m not suggesting that we call her that; I was just responding to the post calling her special. But she could be the first Special KK.
A few years ago there was an Australian tennis player of Greek heritage by the name of Thanasi Kokkinakis, who attempted to commercialize the use of his nickname “Special K” on a line of clothing and tennis equipment. Alas, Kellogg’s, who has owned the Special K trademark in Australia for 60+ years, sued to halt the use of its trademark.

I don’t think anyone has trademarked “Special KK” yet, although I suspect that if our KK attempts to do so, the folks in Battle Creek, MI would object, pointing out the similarities between Special K and Special KK…..:(

Reaction Score
A lot of folks fussed about using Lou as the nickname for our most recent superstar. And then we watched her play for a season, being brilliant, a consummate team player, a Husky, gutting out wins, doing whatever was asked of her, playing injured, and occasionally putting the team on her back to get a win. All the fussing over a nickname died down.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
A few years ago there was an Australian tennis player of Greek heritage by the name of Thanasi Kokkinakis, who attempted to commercialize the use of his nickname “Special K” on a line of clothing and tennis equipment. Alas, Kellogg’s, who has owned the Special K trademark in Australia for 60+ years, sued to halt the use of its trademark.

I don’t think anyone has trademarked “Special KK” yet, although I suspect that if our KK attempts to do so, the folks in Battle Creek, MI would object, pointing out the similarities between Special K and Special KK…..:(
Seems good to me. Screw them. LOL. If McDonalds couldn't win their lawsuit against Mr. McDougal for having Golden Arches in the movie "Coming to America" then Special KK should be fine. Like that name.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure you’re the first to bring up the “Q replacing Azzi talk” so, I guess you’ve started it! Let me be the first to roll my eyes!
As for Nika starting or not, the continuation of Caroline’s unfortunate head injury issues has IMO, essentially settled that debate. The starting five debate, IMO, was really between Nika and Caroline. If Caroline is unable to fulfill that role, then the debate is over! Of course, if Caroline should get past this problem and it is no longer an issue, then it’s back on like Donkey Kong!
A healthy Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey/Ice, Aaliyah > Nika, Azzi, Paige, Aubrey/Ice, Aaliyah!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure you’re the first to bring up the “Q replacing Azzi talk” so, I guess you’ve started it! Let me be the first to roll my eyes!
As for Nika starting or not, the continuation of Caroline’s unfortunate head injury issues has IMO, essentially settled that debate. The starting five debate, IMO, was really between Nika and Caroline. If Caroline is unable to fulfill that role, then the debate is over! Of course, if Caroline should get past this problem and it is no longer an issue, then it’s back on like Donkey Kong!
A healthy Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey/Ice, Aaliyah > Nika, Azzi, Paige, Aubrey/Ice, Aaliyah!
NO!

Reaction Score
Can KK play the 4?? She would get starter minutes then! UConn is filthy talented and rich at the guard position.

Nika will probably start at the beginning of the year because of her past performance and experience. But KK brings a skill set that is unique.
Not to throw water on the fire, but we’ve only seen her against pretty low level competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom