KK has a fan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KK has a fan

Reaction Score
I think sometimes it is easy to be too focused on the competition at one position. I think Nika will start with Paige and Azzi to cover our three guard positions. Nika is a senior, the incumbent PG starter, and the the assists and defensive player of the year two times running speak for themselves. Nika is a quality starter, not a star by Uconn standards, but a great compliment to two or three other stars.

KK probably has more upside and could be the better player in her first year, or more likely further in her career, but since Nika is a senior incumbent, she has to be significantly better than Nika in her first year to take that starting spot. Could she do that? maybe but it is a pretty high bar. Regardless KK can force Geno to play her, but remember the backup minutes for positions 1-3 also include Caroline and Aubrey in the competition.

Those two will be used mostly at the 3, but Aubrey and Caroline are both proven if healthy (a big if for Caroline). There is enough positional versatility that any one or two from KK, Caroline and Aubrey could be the principle backups for 1-3, although this year Aubrey may be needed more upfront, that might allow KK and Caroline to get close to all the backup minutes behind the starting three.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few years ago there was an Australian tennis player of Greek heritage by the name of Thanasi Kokkinakis, who attempted to commercialize the use of his nickname “Special K” on a line of clothing and tennis equipment. Alas, Kellogg’s, who has owned the Special K trademark in Australia for 60+ years, sued to halt the use of its trademark.

I don’t think anyone has trademarked “Special KK” yet, although I suspect that if our KK attempts to do so, the folks in Battle Creek, MI would object, pointing out the similarities between Special K and Special KK…..:(

If I recall correctly, Geno learned much of his English as a youth from Kellogg's of Battle Creek--reading cereal boxes.

Reaction Score
I guess I will jump into the fray. Geno will start Nika in the begining of the season for all of the reasons everyone has stated. Paige and Azzi will be the 2 other guards and be the primary scorers. Aaliyah with play the elbow and be a screeners for the two scorers and be the reciever of beautiful roll passes. Aubrey will rebound and run like a gazelle for fast break points, slashing to the hoop and scoring on putbacks.
Iowa defeated the mighty gamecocks being undersized with Ciziano being the same height as Aaliyah. Playing UCLA early with Betts will be a good comparison for us.

KK will play because she brings something that no one else has in the upperclass starters is quickness and penatration. I noticed that when she is on the court they would bring our one big to the top of the key and open the lanes to the left and right for KK to penatrate. If they bring help defense she can kick to Paige, Caroline,Q and Azzi for 3 pointers. This is no knock on other players just a observation of what certain players can do.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure I get your post at all. Caroline Doty was basically playing on 1 good leg and she started her senior year. It took 2 injuries before Maya was made a starter. Diana did not start early in her freshman season, starting 14 games later in the season. The reason? Injury to Sveta. Neither did Nykesha (start her 1st season).

As for the "Nika worship" comment, no idea where that came from, or if you were referring to me, since you replied to my post, but that particular kind of snark is just silly. BTW every player not named Maya has limitations. To be honest, both Paige and Azzi have both been limited by injuries. And I'd rather not drone on about the "limitations" of every player on the roster. Good grief - we have the best team in the nation.

And what difference does it make if Nika "took many fewer shots per game than Sue or Paige"? Just wow... Nika poured in over 7 PPG last season, certainly a solid number when you have scorers on the team like Liya, Azzi and Lou, not to mention Dorka and Aubrey. You WANT your incredible Lieberman nominated PG to DO that. (somehow I missed your comment about how the "Nika worship" apparently spread to the Lieberman nominating committee). BTW know how many points HOF PG Ticha Penechiero averaged her entire WNBA career? 6.1 PPG.

But yeah, please be sure to save my post and bring it up if Nika somehow gets demoted to the bench. I can't say I will do the same when the season ends and she's started every game. :confused:
I will though. :D

Reaction Score
I will though. :D
Did you read my posts? I want Nika to be the starting PG, and I want her to be the starting PG throughout the season.

Still you gave me an angry emoji.

Why? Because I don’t have blind devotion to Nika, a player I admire and enjoy watching?

I think Nikaworld is getting nervous about KK.

Reaction Score
Nika is rock solid. KK is all talent and flash and upside

Paige is AA POY caliber

Azzi is AA POY caliber

Can we just enjoy that this will be an all-time backcourt that will have zero weaknesses and can cover each other in case of injury rather than argue about silly things like who starts? They will all find minutes. If anything with Paige and Azzi injury concerns, this will take even more stress off of them and let Geno load balance against worse competition. Its allll good people.

Reaction Score
In the three European games, she shot 2 for 5 from the 3. Not enough to go on and against poor competition. Who knows how she’ll play this season. I do like her shooting form, though. I hope she can play the 2 because she will then have an opportunity to play more minutes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did you read my posts? I want Nika to be the starting PG, and I want her to be the starting PG throughout the season.

Still you gave me an angry emoji.

Why? Because I don’t have blind devotion to Nika, a player I admire and enjoy watching?

I think Nikaworld is getting nervous about KK.
Yea, they got rid of the thumbs down, so ya have to use the "angry" one now when you disagree.

Reaction Score
My rationale is because of the versatility of other players. Could KK come in for Caroline or Aubrey? of course she could, but she would play the 1 and say Paige or Azzi at the 2 and 3.

Similarly Caroline or Aubrey could come in for Nika, but then Paige would move to the point and Caroline or Aubrey could be used at their more natural 3. The player entering the game doesn't have to play the same position as the one exiting. Paige could be very good at all three perimeter positions, and others have two position versatility.

So with 5 or 6 playing 1-3 you can keep Nika and KK mostly at the 1, rarely playing elsewhere, have Aubrey almost all the time when she isn't at the 4 at the 3, Caroline mostly 3 but a little 2, Azzi mostly 2 but a little 3, and Paige all over the place.

JBK

Reaction Score
My rationale is because of the versatility of other players. Could KK come in for Caroline or Aubrey? of course she could, but she would play the 1 and say Paige or Azzi at the 2 and 3.

Similarly Caroline or Aubrey could come in for Nika, but then Paige would move to the point and Caroline or Aubrey could be used at their more natural 3. The player entering the game doesn't have to play the same position as the one exiting. Paige could be very good at all three perimeter positions, and others have two position versatility.

So with 5 or 6 playing 1-3 you can keep Nika and KK mostly at the 1, rarely playing elsewhere, have Aubrey almost all the time when she isn't at the 4 at the 3, Caroline mostly 3 but a little 2, Azzi mostly 2 but a little 3, and Paige all over the place.
This site has so many knowledgeable BB fans and I cannot understand why we do not realize that we have to put the ball in the hands of one of the best point guards on the planet — Paige B - just like Iowa put the ball in Clarks hands.
Paige will keep the defense honest and cut down on the 20 turnovers a game and gives us the best chance for number 12.
This is not a knock on any one of our great players.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

Finally, someone figured it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom