Kisunas commits to Stanford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kisunas commits to Stanford

Reaction Score
This conversation has gone far too long but if you think that little of a duke education, you’re beyond being obtuse. Stanford is better, but by 2-3 slots in any academic ranking.

For what it's worth, U S News has Stanford at #5 tied with MIT, Columbia and Penn. Duke is all alone at #9. Both are ranked ahead of Dartmouth, Cornell and Brown. HYP or in this case, PHY and the University of Chicago are 1 thru 4.

Reaction Score
And in any given year Michigan and many others are right there in the rankings, too. I am not just going by rankings; I am going by my own experience and observations. I know at least a dozen Duke grads from various vintages. They are all reasonably bright people, but nothing extraordinary, and if they didn't tell you--fat chance of that--you wouldn't be able to tell that they were educated at Duke as compared with dozens of other very good schools. Stanford is rarefied air and the people of whom I am aware who graduated from there are extraordinary and tend to be the type of people you see on TV or read about in the papers.
Maybe you hang out with the wrong people.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe you hang out with the wrong people.
Maybe. Certainty not a scientifically sound sample size.

I’ll rest on the acceptance rate though. Nothing will ever be unanimous here, but I find that to be a pretty unimpeachable stat. It’s so low that Duke can still slip into the top ten on some lists even though it accepts students at more than double the rate that Stanford does.

Of course none of this guarantees that the Stanford grad will be more useful to Big Ern.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, U S News has Stanford at #5 tied with MIT, Columbia and Penn. Duke is all alone at #9. Both are ranked ahead of Dartmouth, Cornell and Brown. HYP or in this case, PHY and the University of Chicago are 1 thru 4.

Chicago representin’.

Often forgotten in the great schools debate - not nationally recognized in Joe blow’s list.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My pick: Pepperdine. Semi naked California girls on Malibu. I don't think it gets better than that. Not nearly as bright as the Stanford coeds but brains has never been a priority. Go Waves!!
Just a guess, but you’ve never been to Pepperdine. My ex did undergrad and law school at Pepperdine and while it’s a beautiful campus and a fine academic institution it’s a also a Christian school with a really boring campus life. If you want half naked, California coeds on the beach you want to be at UCSB or SDSU. That, my friend, is the real rarified air.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also, fwiw, QS World University rankings pegged Stanford at #2 (tops in US) and Duke at #21. UConn came in at #431. Likely weighted in favor of research output & other impact measurements.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If true, and I doubt it, maybe that's why Stanford's basketball team stinks.

But they do have all those Sears Cups!!
Not what I’ve heard or read, but I also don’t remember a one-and-done from Stanford.

Reaction Score
I have a similar experience...sort of. A friend and work colleague was Duke undergrad and BC law. Bright, but not exceptional. Another friend and colleague was MIT - transfer to Stanford Engineering, and then Stanford Law. He's a notch above. Our head of engineering at a start up SW company I worked at in Los Gatos back in the late 90's was a Stanford History major. Pretty brilliant really. I think part of the difference is the focus being so much more often engineering related at Stanford than Duke. I'll be honest, I've met lots of Harvard grads, and few of them have struck me as particularly brilliant either. Stanford is like a hybrid of Harvard and MIT.
Over heard from a check out person at a Cambridge, MA, grocery in the 12 item line spoken to the person ahead of me, "I can't decide if you're from Harvard and can't add or from MIT and can't read."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Over heard from a check out person at a Cambridge, MA, grocery in the 12 item line spoken to the person ahead of me, "I can't decide if you're from Harvard and can't add or from MIT and can't read."

And that person is so totally Cambridge it's hilarious.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
1) Education
2) Basketball
3) Location
4) Social Life
5) Influential alumni / contacts (except for basketball)

4 out of 5 go to Stanford

Footnote: if you're a top twenty pick or a one and done player, 1 and 2 can be switched

And Dook is a great school academically, one of the top ranked schools in the country, it's just not better than Stanford.

Reaction Score
Just a guess, but you’ve never been to Pepperdine. My ex did undergrad and law school at Pepperdine and while it’s a beautiful campus and a fine academic institution it’s a also a Christian school with a really boring campus life. If you want half naked, California coeds on the beach you want to be at UCSB or SDSU. That, my friend, is the real rarified air.
This changes everything.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

This is the best post we've had on here all week.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Corey Maggette anyone?
On that team it was William Avery. I parked next to an "Iron Duke" at the Tampa NC. He said that each team got one exemption from the normal admissions process and it was Avery. He also said it wasn't fair that football only had one exemption. "That's why we can never get a good tailback"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nerd thread. Just remember that Kyrie Irving thinks the earth is flat and Mark Madsen may be a serial killer.

the Q

Reaction Score
Nerd thread. Just remember that Kyrie Irving thinks the earth is flat and Mark Madsen may be a serial killer.

you could've also gone with Mark Madsen thinks he's a good dancer.

the Q

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Stanford is Ivy level in terms of education and reputation; Duke is not. There are a lot of schools at Duke’s level, educationally and reputationally. Stanford is the most selective school in the country for a reason.

And yeah Palo Alto ftw.

I am friends with a guy whose daughter is on the Stanford basketball team (Nadia Fingall). We went to same church in Navarre, FL.

While she was being recruited he told me that Stanford is a unique school in that any recruit must be accepted academically to the university first before the coach can offer them a scholarship. Essentially, Stanford makes you prove your academic worth before the coach can even offer you a place on the team. Not sure if Duke does the same.

Reaction Score
I am friends with a guy whose daughter is on the Stanford basketball team (Nadia Fingall). We went to same church in Navarre, FL.

While she was being recruited he told me that Stanford is a unique school in that any recruit must be accepted academically to the university first before the coach can offer them a scholarship. Essentially, Stanford makes you prove your academic worth before the coach can even offer you a place on the team. Not sure if Duke does the same.
Every school lowers it's standards for D1 athletes, especially in the money making sports but Stanford doesn't lower them like Duke does. There are a bunch of kids going to Duke for basketball that wouldn't have been admitted at Stanford.

Reaction Score
While she was being recruited he told me that Stanford is a unique school in that any recruit must be accepted academically to the university first before the coach can offer them a scholarship. Essentially, Stanford makes you prove your academic worth before the coach can even offer you a place on the team.

I hope you don't mean they're evaluated like every other run of the mill student. If that were true - it's not - they'd lose every basketball game by 60 points and every football game by 90. Stanford football and basketball players are more academically qualified than most D1 athletes but by and large they're not getting in without their sport. And frankly that's fine.

Reaction Score
I hope you don't mean they're evaluated like every other run of the mill student. If that were true - it's not - they'd lose every basketball game by 60 points and every football game by 90. Stanford football and basketball players are more academically qualified than most D1 athletes but by and large they're not getting in without their sport. And frankly that's fine.

I'm not saying that they only look for academic profile with their athletes. What I am getting at is that if the athlete cannot meet minimum academic requirements to get into the school as a normal student, Stanford will not offer them the scholarship.

I am going off of what I was told from a man that I trust whose daughter just went through the recruiting and LOI signing process with Stanford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom