Kisunas commits to Stanford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kisunas commits to Stanford

Reaction Score
Really? I worked in Palo Alto, wouldn't want to live there. I suppose four years of room and board would be nice, and it's not a bad college town. But it's overcrowded in the bar restaurant area, with all the silicon valley folks. Durham would likely be a more genuine college town.
Have you been to Durham? It's kind of nasty.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

No. Hadn't heard that. I've heard good things about Chapel Hill. I can't really imagine dealing with Palo Alto on a college budget.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe the most over the top statement to appear on this board in years. Great school, no question, lotta distinguished alums, without a doubt, but there are plenty of schools that fit this mold.
Well, whatever they are doing, it seems they are doing it better than anyone else, as their acceptance rate has been the most selective of any comparable US school for years and it keeps going lower and lower:

Admissions Rates at Record Low Across Ivy League, Stanford, MIT | News | The Harvard Crimson

Reaction Score
Good for him, I visited Stanford's campus when I was out in San Fran and it was incredible. If I was able to choose any school in the country to go to (Besides UConn of course), Stanford would be at the top.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the girls? Two worst schools I've been to in terms of attractive women are Notre Dame and Duke. The Duke thing is weird because they are surrounded by schools with great looking girls.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Are you talking about the girls? Two worst schools I've been to in terms of attractive women are Notre Dame and Duke. The Duke thing is weird because they are surrounded by schools with great looking girls.
Those are the two schools whose alums are most likely to tell you where they attended undergrad. Anecdotal, of course.

Reaction Score
No, the town.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe the most over the top statement to appear on this board in years. Great school, no question, lotta distinguished alums, without a doubt, but there are plenty of schools that fit this mold.
"... the most over the top statement to appear on this board in years."?
Not even the most over the top today.

Also, define "plenty."
Or name names.

Nothing wrong with objecting to what you consider an overreach, and it may be, but don't compound the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. Hadn't heard that. I've heard good things about Chapel Hill. I can't really imagine dealing with Palo Alto on a college budget.
Chapel Hill is a nice college town. Durham is more an old manufacturing town rather than a college town. There are good things and bad things there.

Reaction Score
The statement was that it's the best place in the world to both study and play basketball. My opinion was that that is incorrect because the level of basketball played at Duke would make it better. If you were to give basketball and education equal weight and rank the 4 components here I would rank them as such:

1. Duke for Basketball
2. Stanford for Education
3. Duke for Education
4. Stanford for Basketball

1+3 > 2+4

If weighted heavier for education than your statement makes sense, if not than Duke is better because of the basketball.
No one on Duke’s team could get admitted to Stanford.

Reaction Score
Well, whatever they are doing, it seems they are doing it better than anyone else, as their acceptance rate has been the most selective of any comparable US school for years and it keeps going lower and lower:

Admissions Rates at Record Low Across Ivy League, Stanford, MIT | News | The Harvard Crimson

It's a great school, no question. The "Stanford graduates are otherworldly creatures one can only hope to observe on television" seemed a bit over the top. I've got an associate from Stanford who's currently driving me up a g o d d a m n wall.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
No one on Duke’s team could get admitted to Stanford.
If true, and I doubt it, maybe that's why Stanford's basketball team stinks.

But they do have all those Sears Cups!!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If true, and I doubt it, maybe that's why Stanford's basketball team stinks.

But they do have all those Sears Cups!!

There was something that got out years ago that the duke teams avg sat score was like 850 or something like that. They were absurdly below normal duke standards

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Duke because the academics aren't that much different but the basketball is on a much higher level.

Yeah...if you want to be a lawyer/basketball analyst. If you want to go home and become a titan of Baltic industry, Stanford.

Reaction Score
No contest if he were a swimmer. Last year's senior class at Duke played in 16 NCAA tournament games and won 13 (2 FF and 1 title). Average 4 year run there. Stanford's class never played in the big dance.
Just because I don’t like to see Duke get more credit than they are legally entitled to, they won only 12 games and went to only 1 FF in the last 4 years.

Reaction Score
There was something that got out years ago that the duke teams avg sat score was like 850 or something like that. They were absurdly below normal duke standards
My aunt used to work at admissions at Duke. She never got into specifics, but she’d admit to the tough spots they’d be put in by the football and both basketball programs. Probably similar to most places, though I think perhaps more pronounced at a place where you are turning down valedictorians.

Reaction Score
Good for him, I visited Stanford's campus when I was out in San Fran and it was incredible. If I was able to choose any school in the country to go to (Besides UConn of course), Stanford would be at the top.
My pick: Pepperdine. Semi naked California girls on Malibu. I don't think it gets better than that. Not nearly as bright as the Stanford coeds but brains has never been a priority. Go Waves!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford>>>>>>> Duke. Hoops aside, it's not even close.
I think both are great UNIs that 95%+ of the population could never hope to get into (and Stanford is more likely 99%). Stanford, CIT or Cal Berkley are like the Ivys of the west.

For me, the difference is likely that Stanford holds its athletes to the same standards as every other student. Duke? I would guess, likely not.

Reaction Score
Let’s be real.

Stanford girls >>>>>>> Duke girls

Although Morgan Reid at Duke is bae

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My aunt used to work at admissions at Duke. She never got into specifics, but she’d admit to the tough spots they’d be put in by the football and both basketball programs. Probably similar to most places, though I think perhaps more pronounced at a place where you are turning down valedictorians.
Corey Maggette anyone?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom