Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 805 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No kidding. Just getting 15K more fans in the crowd for six more games is a bump of $3-$5 million.
A successful football team would be like having permission to print your own money just based on stadium revenue. That is part of the allure of big-time football.

Reaction Score
UConn - $37 million

P5 teams making less:
Rutgers - $36 million
UCF - $31 million
Oregon State - $30 million
Washington State - $29 million
Houston - $20 million

Kind of surprising that UConn only makes $1 million more than Rutgers! After Rutgers, UConn is only ahead of new P5 teams UCF and Houston, as well as on the way out P5 teams Oregon State and Washington State.
One key to remember though is many of those programs make as much as they do because they are in a P conference. If UConn were in the ACC all these years it probably would have been ahead of Va Tech, Ga Tech, Cal, NC State, and many privates who aren't listed. Even Pitt isn't reporting its figures for some reason.

Reaction Score
My son an I and about 10k loud UConn fans were there . A journey of 75 miles from my house .
We were sitting next to some other UConn fans who were trash talking a tad with the Sooner fans in front of us . I’m not saying they‘re fans were worried but they were annoyed they couldn’t put us away.until that 4th qtr pick . We were a pesky bunch who got 400-500 yards in total offense , Toddman rushed for 125yards . Almost all in the first 3 quarters . . Those are

UConn - $37 million

P5 teams making less:
Rutgers - $36 million
UCF - $31 million
Houston - $20 million

Kind of surprising that UConn only makes $1 million more than Rutgers! After Rutgers, UConn is only ahead of new P5 teams UCF and Houston, as well as on the way out P5 teams Oregon State and Washington State.
Thinking same thing. Expected a better separation

Reaction Score
UConn - $37 million

P5 teams making less:
Rutgers - $36 million
UCF - $31 million
Houston - $20 million

It’s only surprising if you do not believe fb drives the bus.

Reaction Score
Thinking same thing. Expected a better separation
Look at Rutgers home football schedule in 2022:

Wagner
Indiana
Nebraska
Indiana
Michigan
Penn St.

Don't you think UConn would sell out season tickets if that was the home schedule? And, don't you think there would be strong demand for tickets from many of those visiting schools?

I'm surprised that Rutgers doesn't blow away UConn's revenues given they play a Big 10 schedule in all sports.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Wagner
Indiana
Nebraska
Indiana
Michigan
Penn St.

Don't you think UConn would sell out season tickets if that was the home schedule? And, don't you think there would be strong demand for tickets from many of those visiting schools?

I'm surprised that Rutgers doesn't blow away UConn's revenues given they play a Big 10 schedule in all sports.
They play Indiana twice? Both times at Rutgers?

Reaction Score
It's even more impressive when you consider we don't have a P5 football schedule to pump up the ticket revenue.
Even more impressive considering this was 2022, which was improved in 2023 with bb natty revenues and improved fb attendance, etc year over year.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
So the new "PAC-12" Super Conference would look like this, based on who can generate the most revenue without media contracts:

1. UConn - $37 million
I thought this was one of @shizzle787's CR schemes upon first glance. It's not terrible, but there are a few teams that shouldn't be the list.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I disagree re this part. If the P2 consolidate, it won't be by kicking out the lesser teams. I don't even know if their contracts/bylaws allow for kicking a school out. Temple was an odd situation. More likely, the top of the Big10 and SEC would break away and create their own super conference(s). So, the schools you are referencing are in no worse of a position than they were before. In a perfect world, they are the Kansas City Royals, feeding from the smaller trough of general profits while providing wins for the top teams that rake in additional revenue. I'd rather be the Royals than an independent minor league team. Worst case scenario, the top of the Big10 leaves and those teams are still in a strong non-P2 (P1?) conference that can poach others.

I do think that the ACC showed weakness by taking Stanford and Cal and certainly SMU. That looks like a money grab by a group that knows it's dead soon so it may as well grab as much cash is it can.

Power conferences kicking members out is the fever dream of fans of the schools left out.

In their scenarios, just enough teams get kicked out for us to reform something like the old Big East.

It’s not happening.

Reaction Score

Wagner
Indiana
Nebraska
Indiana
Michigan
Penn St.

Was talking more about Cincy, UCF, and Houston.

I think these are 2022 figures.

Reaction Score
Kicking teams out is complicated. It's more than sports. Look at the B1G ---- they have the B1G Academic Alliance in which each school integrates many of its services/offerings/research with the other member schools. Also, each B1G school has partial ownership of the BTN. It's not as simple as "Well ok, you are kicked out of the B1G, now go away." I don't see any school getting kicked out. Plus, someone has to eat those football/basketball losses for the top brands.

Reaction Score
Power conferences kicking members out is the fever dream of fans of the schools left out.

In their scenarios, just enough teams get kicked out for us to reform something like the old Big East.

It’s not happening.
So:

Goal of Power Conferences is to shrink the pool to the Premier league

Is this where we are now:

1. Destroyed PAC and crippled AAC
2. ACC next, seems somewhat clear who the SEC, B1G will take
3. How many B12 schools would be targets of the Super Conference? Kansas+??
4. Will the Premier(B1G+SEC) rest on the 7th day and reorganize the day after, or are there more to add?
5. Will Fishys "Fever dream" of culling of the Premier League occur?(Rutgers, Vandy, Northwestern, etc???)
6. Do the remnants of the blood bath have enough appeal to financially organize and land on their feet, non-competitive($) with the Premier, but fairly sound fiscally??

Reaction Score
It isn't football level money but this makes UConn potentially more valuable if they start having unit payouts like the Men's tournament

If the women's tournament starts paying out to conferences based on performance like the men's, I think most schools that can afford to do so will invest more money into women's basketball.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
So:

Goal of Power Conferences is to shrink the pool to the Premier league

Is this where we are now:

1. Destroyed PAC and crippled AAC
2. ACC next, seems somewhat clear who the SEC, B1G will take
3. How many B12 schools would be targets of the Super Conference? Kansas+??
4. Will the Premier(B1G+SEC) rest on the 7th day and reorganize the day after, or are there more to add?
5. Will Fishys "Fever dream" of culling of the Premier League occur?(Rutgers, Vandy, Northwestern, etc???)
6. Do the remnants of the blood bath have enough appeal to financially organize and land on their feet, non-competitive($) with the Premier, but fairly sound fiscally??
As I read this, I heard the music and announcer's voice from the TV series "Soap". :)

Reaction Score
It isn't football level money but this makes UConn potentially more valuable if they start having unit payouts like the Men's tournament

This is a bad deal for women's basketball. Basically, ESPN is paying less for the women's tournament media rights per year than what 1 member of the Big 10 or SEC are paid per year.

Reaction Score
As I read this, I heard the music and announcer's voice from the TV series "Soap".
Agreed, I see the similarities:

"melodramatic plotlines including alien abduction, demonic possession, extramarital affairs, murder, kidnapping, unknown diseases, amnesia, cults, organized crime warfare, a communist revolution and teacher-student relationships. In 2007, it was listed as one of Time magazine's "100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME",[2] and in 2010, the Tates and the Campbells ranked at number 17 in TV Guide's list of "TV's Top Families".

Both fall into the category of "CAN'T MAKE THIS S__T UP!"

Reaction Score
This is a bad deal for women's basketball. Basically, ESPN is paying less for the women's tournament media rights per year than what 1 member of the Big 10 or SEC are paid per year.
shhh... i can hear the equity from here

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It’s not happening.

If it wasn't for the fact that two schools just got kicked out of the major conference club, this would be a fantastic prediction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom