Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 774 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score

Does this move make sense by itself? Is the AAC really an upgrade from the A-10? If you could get say VCU and Dayton to both jump together, then it makes more sense.

Reaction Score
One positive is that this should help us secure a new deal with CBSSN. The AAC media rights are with ESPN, so CBSSN needs to replace the Army content. I would imagine CBSSN will look to extend their agreement with UConn, hopefully at a little better price. I know CBSSN is not ideal, but it is national, and it's better than being stuck on ESPN+, FloSports or Apple TV! Plus, we are not exactly negotiating from a position of strength, other than that we have P5 opponents coming into the Rent.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
One positive is that this should help us secure a new deal with CBSSN. The AAC media rights are with ESPN, so CBSSN needs to replace the Army content. I would imagine CBSSN will look to extend their agreement with UConn, hopefully at a little better price. I know CBSSN is not ideal, but it is national, and it's better than being stuck on ESPN+, FloSports or Apple TV! Plus, we are not exactly negotiating from a position of strength, other than that we have P5 opponents coming into the Rent.
Just FYI- CBSSN has 2 pre-agreed 2 year extension option periods (2024 and 2026) with pricing already defined that is basically flat. So don’t expect a major increase anytime soon

Reaction Score
CBSN isn’t bad if you watch the games on mute.

Reaction Score

basketball ONLY? what are they gonna do with the rest of their sports?

after the loss of Cinci, Houston, UCF, what is the basketball appeal of the AAC? FAU & Memphis?
FAU will likely fall back once their coach leaves and Memphis always seems 2 steps from probation

Reaction Score
Does this move make sense by itself? Is the AAC really an upgrade from the A-10? If you could get say VCU and Dayton to both jump together, then it makes more sense.
Is something happening that we’re not aware of yet? . It seems Basketball is a difference maker in conference survival .
Do I smell a break from the NCAA and is bigger share of the $1,200,000,000
As far as leaving .the A10
WSU in the AAC makes as much as the entire A10 so it’s a no brainer move .
If I were the AAC I would grab VCU , Dayton , and ST Louis to position itself for survival

Reaction Score
This is not a positive at all.

Gotta run for the hills and get the Huskies into sun belt or “smu” themselves into big 12.

Reaction Score
Is something happening that we’re not aware of yet? . It seems Basketball is a difference maker in conference survival .
Do I smell a break from the NCAA and is bigger share of the $1,200,000,000
As far as leaving .the A10
WSU in the AAC makes as much as the entire A10 so it’s a no brainer move .
If I were the AAC I would grab VCU , Dayton , and ST Louis to position itself for survival
I am going to say this nicely….

Something is happening. The final consolidation is coming and all teams are looking to secure their place in the next world order. Once that order is broken apart, whatever it looks like, I am betting things will get reorganized.

I don’t want to be Debbie downer. But we are hearing thinking we can pick up army’s Indy scraps, happy in the Big East like on a cocaine high.

Big 12, acc, maybe someone else. They are gonna come for basketball schools. Big 12 snatch Zags, St. John’s, Nova, Marquette.

We feeling good about. Big East?

Big 12 grabs Zags/John’s.
ACC goes Navy FB/Villanova Hoops and then adds Georgetown hoops .

thigns like that i would worry about.

Reaction Score
Just FYI- CBSSN has 2 pre-agreed 2 year extension option periods (2024 and 2026) with pricing already defined that is basically flat. So don’t expect a major increase anytime soon

… special deal for Army as well:

Reaction Score

Something is happening. The final consolidation is coming and all teams are looking to secure their place in the next world order. Once that order is broken apart, whatever it looks like, I am betting things will get reorganized.

I don’t want to be Debbie downer. But we are hearing thinking we can pick up army’s Indy scraps, happy in the Big East like on a cocaine high.

Big 12, acc, maybe someone else. They are gonna come for basketball schools. Big 12 snatch Zags, St. John’s, Nova, Marquette.

thigns like that i would worry ab
I get your concerns but I think your take is more pessimistic than the facts suggest. I don't see any realistic threat that the Big 12 picks apart the Big East. If that was even a possibility Yormark would have pursued it this summer (and likely would have met the same fate as his UConn gambit). For all the Big East schools except UConn there is no other league or conference that would be an upgrade or make any sense. So I think the Big East is stable and I would not worry about the league imploding. While the situation is not perfect for us, being in a highly stable conference which sponsors the sport which is most important to UConn (and is a power conference in that sport) is actually a reasonable approach.

Reaction Score

You are Debby Downer. Why is VCU looking at the AAC? A10 pays about $250k/year and AAC pays about $2 million for Wichita St./non-football and Army will only be playing football in the AAC so there is room for the AAC to get to 12 schools for basketball. VCU wants to go to the Big East, but Val Ackerman just said the Big East will be staying at 11 schools for now unless Gonzaga is interested.

As for UConn football scheduling, of course being an independent is not ideal, but more opportunities are opening up over the next 5 years due to Army dropping games. For now, independent is more attractive than a G5 conference as UConn can play 3 to 5 P5 schools per year. We all know that LT, independent football is not a good option, so we have to continue to rebuild football to make UConn more attractive for the next conference expansion.

And, did you see what the ACC commissioner Phillips said about the ACC basketball tournaments? He is not in favor of all schools playing in the tournament! In other words, big mega conferences are probably going to make some cutbacks in how their basketball tournaments are structured. Does this scream increase the number of basketball only schools in the P5 conferences? And, look at Cincinnati basketball in the Big 12. They are going to be on ESPN+ 21 times this season! So, why do they need more basketball only schools?

Reaction Score

Even if "they are gonna come for basketball schools" then surely we'd be in before St. John's, Nova, or Marquette? In your doomsday scenario it's hard to see them pass up one of the most successful basketball programs to have ever existed if the goal is to specifically add basketball schools.

Reaction Score
We literally just scheduled 6 P4 contests. We will be fine.
Im not sure playing p4 teams is such a good idea… we are at such a disadvantage to them that maybe playing in the mac would be the best option along with umass and schedule local p4 teams… bc, syracuse.. Pittsburgh would be our best option

Reaction Score
I get your concerns but I think your take is more pessimistic than the facts suggest. I don't see any realistic threat that the Big 12 picks apart the Big East. If that was even a possibility Yormark would have pursued it this summer (and likely would have met the same fate as his UConn gambit). For all the Big East schools except UConn there is no other league or conference that would be an upgrade or make any sense. So I think the Big East is stable and I would not worry about the league imploding. While the situation is not perfect for us, being in a highly stable conference which sponsors the sport which is most important to UConn (and is a power conference in that sport) is actually a reasonable approach.
Money talks. Schools will jump ship very quickly.

Reaction Score
It does not create opportunities.

Just in last couple of years BYU, Army, Liberty have moved into a conference. The writing is on the wall.
UConn getfootball only deal, or beg for an affiliate deal for Big

Big east isn’t bringing in enough revenue to sustain long term, and it looks everyone is finding their safe space.

It sucks. UConn hoops back on top but it is going to be unsustainable in the long run. And, Gonzaga goes big 12, they gonna take an eastern school BB only.
BYU moved to a conference because it got a P5 offer
Liberty always wanted to be in a conference. They were just waiting for an invite. And once the AAC and SB passed on them during this round of realignment, they were stuck with the beggars-cant-be-choosers conference (aka, C-USA).

Reaction Score
I think UConn needs to seriously consider a non-football offer to a P5 conference if one is extended. Our football would be independent for the opposite reason as Notre Dame, but we'd join them as the only other FBS independent in the P5 club.

Reaction Score
This is a bummer if true.
Screenshot_20231026-040331.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22