Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 718 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
How is the Big East going the remain a top BB conference when these power conferences have so much $ from football to pay basketball players?

Also, what happens when “they” break away and drop the scholarship limit and pay players to not play for someone else?

Reaction Score

Burn it all to the ground. Hope G5s kill these stupid schools this year in football at every opportunity

I swear we’re literally the laughing stock of college sports. To win a 5 championships in 25 years in the second most important sport and still be hemorrhaging money is honestly sad.

It’s really tough to watch schools like Colorado and BC and Wake Forest continue to reap tens of millions for being garbage while we’re on an austerity budget.

I don’t know about you guys but personally i don’t know where we go from here. We’ve achieved the epitome of excellence in basketball but does anyone really believe a couple more minor bowl appearances is going to change the narrative for us? It seems like we pretty much dug our grave from 2011-2022 and now we have to lay in it.

Reaction Score
I like Mora and I hope he stays, but I think the biggest positive change for the football team is the change in the administration. There are more resources for football and there is greater use of the transfer portal to bring in talent.

What was most important for attracting up and coming coaches at the successful G5s was the ability of that coach to win and advance his career. UCF: Scott Frost 2 years, Josh Heupel 3 years. Cincy: Dantonio 3 years, Kelly 4 years, Butch Jones 3 years, Fickell 6 years. Houston: Briles 5 years, Sumlin 4 years, Herman 2 years.

If Mora lays the foundation, shows you can win at UConn, and gets a huge raise to leave, up and coming coaches will take notice. Unfortunately, the last 3 head football coaches at UConn were all fired and made the UConn job look like a dead end.
What were they paying those guys when hired them and at the time they left? More importantly, what were their coordinators making? You're right in that UConn was developing the stigma of being a career ender after Diaco. But (and we know the reasons why as UConn fans) bringing in Randy with a contract laden with joke worthy incentives was a poor move for optics. Bonuses for leading at half time or scoring 1st? There is a line between being creative and making yourself a target for ridicule. The big sin there was letting him stay on when the team showed record levels of futility. That is where the narrative of giving up on football has legs, not the move to independence.

That being in the past, what is going to matter is A.) What resources will Mora have to keep assistants/coordinators B.) Most important, how do they handle moving on from a coach that came in with a plan and a vision.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Plenty of money available - The state can pay former presidents and current president

CT auditors find UConn overpaid employee $355k during sabbatical. School confirms it was Herbst
Cut us a check Susie!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
While not a tweet, this is some actual information regarding conference realignment. It's been a while since we've seen that in this thread.

IMG_9848.jpeg

IMG_9850.jpeg

So I guess it actually is "Over Johnny."

Actually, maybe this is worth its own thread.

Reaction Score
I swear we’re literally the laughing stock of college sports. To win a 5 championships in 25 years in the second most important sport and still be hemorrhaging money is honestly sad.

It’s really tough to watch schools like Colorado and BC and Wake Forest continue to reap tens of millions for being garbage while we’re on an austerity budget.

I don’t know about you guys but personally i don’t know where we go from here. We’ve achieved the epitome of excellence in basketball but does anyone really believe a couple more minor bowl appearances is going to change the narrative for us? It seems like we pretty much dug our grave from 2011-2022 and now we have to lay in it.
Going to bowls is the only thing that will change the narrative. People underestimate just how terrible they had allowed this program to become. Hopefully they could compete for a NY6 bowl with their performance.

Any school that pays their BB coaches like they do is not on austerity budget. Like others have said, it's finding a way to improve the fb resources.

Reaction Score

Speak for yourself. More like the miracle worker of college sports. We're the small market team that kicks but and we'll keep working until we are dead, and we are far from the only team the operates at a deficit every year. You should find another team to root for if you think what UConn is doing is "sad".

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to believe that college football has been chosen by the celestial powers to signal the end times...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The bottom line is we know what we can control and we need to improve things within our control that need improvement and sustain success where we currently are elite.

It has to begin with our football program. Primarily the product on the field but not far behind that is support for the program. There are quite a few programs that posters on this board have dissed as being less deserving of how things fell for them in realignment that average football attendance numbers that we would be gushing over if we replicated them here.

If you are truly a fan of the school. if you legitimately want to see things improve for us, invest a little time and a little money (it doesn't require a whole lot of either) and go to some games at the Rent. You may even end up enjoying what you see.

Reaction Score
Speak for yourself. More like the miracle worker of college sports. We're the small market team that kicks but and we'll keep working until we are dead, and we are far from the only team the operates at a deficit every year. You should find another team to root for if you think what UConn is doing is "sad".
Except UConn isn’t a small market. I got no idea how they end up as first loser every time .

Reaction Score
There are going to be a lot of today's so-called power schools on the outside looking in like us after the next realignment. Who would have thought a month ago that schools like Stanford or Cal would suddenly find themselves a part of that growing club?
I wouldn't worry about any of this stuff, it's still in it's infancy. There's going to be a ton more upheaval eventually, lawsuits, the gov't will probably get involved, streaming vs. linear...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL "Dream Scenario"... because the 4 PAC middle-to-lightweight defectors are so dreamy...
You'd think we'd get this, since we've all complained about what is bad about CR. The Big XII always wanted Colorado back and always wanted the Arizona schools. I'm not sure they envisioned Utah until they added BYU. The reality is that aside from UCF, Cinci and WVU, it's quite a rational, regional, mostly contiguous conference. Just like we all believe should exist. So yeah, for that conference, those were the schools they wanted. Pacific Northwest schools wouldn't make any sense, nor the already departed LA schools.

Hopefully football splits off and we can go back to smaller conferences that make sense.

Reaction Score
Except UConn isn’t a small market. I got no idea how they end up as first loser every time .

I'm just speaking to our current TV revenue situation (the result of collusion against us) and comparing us to a small market sports franchise that wins.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score

Burn it all to the ground. Hope G5s kill these stupid schools this year in football at every opportunity

When an opportunity presents itself to double up by getting the #2 brands in Utah and Arizona despite already having #1 and to add a school that gives you Denver but hasn't been relevant athletically for decades, you have to do it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
please
Navy FB to sail independent seas? Or, potentially Midshipmen FB in new PAC west?

Hypothetical, UConn FB in the east. Would UConn be interested in the latter ? ? ? No strong opinion, just tossed out for discussion purposes only.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry about any of this stuff, it's still in it's infancy. There's going to be a ton more upheaval eventually, lawsuits, the gov't will probably get involved, streaming vs. linear...
This latest movement came sooner than anyone could have anticipated. We were not far enough into the Mora reclamation project to get over the hump. Bad timing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom