Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 603 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 12 care about whether Utah dies or not?
Because they are a P5 school with a high level football program and a great HC. They would immediately become the team to beat if they joined. Adding Utah strengthens Big 12 football way more than adding UConn strengthens their basketball as it's already the best bball conference + they're adding Arizona. Sucks, but that's the way this stuff goes.

Reaction Score
Only conference involved in all this that isn't talking, but yes. The SEC is just sipping bourbon on the front porch.

Mostly it's a feeling that hit me today, but the logic looks like this. ESPN is out of the PAC deal next year. We reliably heard ESPN approved a full payout for UConn to the Big XII. ESPN is looking at what it can capture here and where it wants those properties. If Yormark has persuaded ESPN on UConn's value (and presumably he has given we were approved) then where does ESPN want them? Big XII is getting a basketball boost from UA and Houston. It's weak on the football side. It could use Utah. The ACC hasn't lived up to its basketball promise, and programs like Syracuse and Louisville are down. Is UConn more valuable playing North Carolina and Duke than Kansas and Baylor? Duke already has eyeball pull in NYC. So does Miami. Does playing UConn help revitalize Syracuse hoops? Can UConn and BC play a version of Florida-Georgia at Gillette every year?

The answers to those and other questions, plus the silence as the corner schools generate noise, suggests to me that ESPN would prefer to put UConn in the ACC.
SEC is just so much better than everyone else. SEC along with the Big East are the only conferences which make sense. Unfortunately basketball doesn't get paid nearly enough.

Reaction Score
Because they are a P5 school with a high level football program and a great HC. They would immediately become the team to beat if they joined. Adding Utah strengthens Big 12 football way more than adding UConn strengthens their basketball as it's already the best bball conference + they're adding Arizona. Sucks, but that's the way this stuff goes.
Okay, that didn't sound at all like the argument you were making in your post I responded to.

Reaction Score
Okay, that didn't sound at all like the argument you were making in your post I responded to.
The whole point is that the Big 12 (outside of Brett Yormark) will think that Utah is worth saving, while UConn can continue to float in purgatory like they have been.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
SEC is just so much better than everyone else. SEC along with the Big East are the only conferences which make sense. Unfortunately basketball doesn't get paid nearly enough.
ACC doesn't make sense for UConn?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I didn't say they didn't. UConn always made way more sense for the ACC than every other team they invited over the years except for Miami and still here we are.
But maybe not much longer. ;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They really should, throw Nova in as well. They would win every single national championship in football and basketball.
Nova football in the SEC would be like SUNY Oswego men's basketball in the Big East.

Also, Jay retired more than a year ago. I don't see Neptune competing for a title for a long time, maybe ever.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At this point one of two things will happen:

a.) Pac decides to stay together and Colorado will be the only member that leaves
b.) Pac disbands and Oregon+Washington end up in Big Ten. Arizona, ASU, and Utah end up in the Big 12

I just don't believe that Utah would be left to die, the Big 12 will offer them a lifeline. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, UConn is already dead.
Don't be that guy.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I don't think conferences care as much as people think about the quality of a school's program that can change fairly quickly. The metrics ae more about fan base, tv ratings etc.

Reaction Score
I don't think conferences care as much as people think about the quality of a school's program that can change fairly quickly. The metrics ae more about fan base, tv ratings etc.
If this were the case, UCF would've NEVER been added to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
If this were the case, UCF would've NEVER been added to the Big 12.
UCF is a huge school in Orlando, in a heavily recruited football area

Even if they were new, people would give them the benefit of the doubt

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near St. As. Spent plenty of time visiting friends at AD, expecially the hump night parties.
Hump night parties? Did Rick Pitino sponsor these?

Reaction Score
While I do love the BIG EAST, I put my personal love aside for what's best for UConn. And that's being in the Big 12 (at least for now). So, this morning I created a spreadsheet of email addresses for the Presidents of all BIG 12 schools and emailed them why they would be stupid (not that word of course) to pass on UConn again and why UConn would be a value add addition.

If anyone wants to do the same, DM me and I can share the spreadsheet/emails with you. Maybe these people need to see that there is actualy such thing as passionate fan base north/east of the Mason Dixon. I'm still hearing UConn is confident, but that means nothing in a game of realignment where anything goes.
That's great. Apologies for a dumb question, but how do I DM you?

Reaction Score
At the parties I go to, the people like actual facts and talk about realities.
Girl Eye Roll GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom