Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 497 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If FOX doesn’t get a piece of the Pac-12, the only other leagues FOX will have are the B1G and Big 12, and both of these leagues have multiple TV partners.
Big 12 close to $2.28B media deal with ESPN, Fox

The new contract, which takes hold starting in 2025, includes ESPN owning more than 60 percent of the inventory and Fox adding a sizable portion of college basketball.

Not to mention that the B1G will play hoops primarily on Fox (no ESPN). This was not the case when the first BE was negotiated.

As much as I like the Big East, the Big12 and B1G are going to be the majority of their inventory.

Why pay Seton Hall and Butler a combined $15M a year when you already have more than enough programming of bigger schools?

GG

Reaction Score

The new contract, which takes hold starting in 2025, includes ESPN owning more than 60 percent of the inventory and Fox adding a sizable portion of college basketball.

Not to mention that the B1G will play hoops primarily on Fox (no ESPN). This was not the case when the first BE was negotiated.

As much as I like the Big East, the Big12 and B1G are going to be the majority of their inventory.

Why pay Seton Hall and Butler a combined $15M a year when you already have more than enough programming of bigger schools?
Exactly. This is what many people are not understanding.

Reaction Score

Not true. We have gone through this before. There is a small uptick in basketball inventory from the Big 10. People don't understand how much Big 10 basketball goes to the BTN (51% owned by Fox). The Big 12 inventory is about the same and (as it appears now) FOX loses the Pac 12 inventory (19 on FS1 and 3 on FOX). And, the only conference tournament on FOX is the Big East. Losing the Big East would create a large inventory hole for FOX. And, don't forget the women's basketball games on FS1/FOX

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not true. We have gone through this before. There is a small uptick in basketball inventory from the Big 10. People don't understand how much Big 10 basketball goes to the BTN (51% owned by Fox). The Big 12 inventory is about the same and (as it appears now) FOX loses the Pac 12 inventory (19 on FS1 and 3 on FOX). And, the only conference tournament on FOX is the Big East. Losing the Big East would create a large inventory hole for FOX. And, don't forget the women's basketball games on FS1/FOX

You're disputing the quote from the article above?

Not to mention the B1G will now have 16 (up from 14) teams and the Big12 will have 12 (up from 10).

What time slots would the Big East possibly overlap with the Pac anyway?

I'd be interested in being proven wrong if it's the case - I just don't see how it adds up the way you are saying it to be.

Reaction Score
#headfake :p

-> …But the university’s commitment to the conference it joined a dozen years ago could depend, in part, on a long-awaited Pac-12 broadcast rights deal. DiStefano said clarity on the new media partnerships is expected to be presented to league chancellors and presidents Thursday by conference commissioner George Kliavkoff.

“I’m eagerly awaiting to hear what the commissioner has to say (Thursday),” DiStefano told The Post in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon. “But at this point, the 10 (Pac-12) schools are staying together and awaiting a message from the commissioner.”<-

-> “(CU’s) goal is to stay within the Pac-12 and have a media deal coming up shortly,” the chancellor continued. “That’s our goal. And I believe the presidents and chancellors of the Pac-12 are together on that.” <-

->When asked if there was a target payout number that CU would like to see from the Pac-12, DiStefano replied:

“You’d like to see it at — I think all along, we’ve talked about (and have been) looking at, what the ACC and the Big 12 (have received) and what the SEC and the Big Ten are getting, and wanting to be kind of in the middle of the pack — probably to be third, behind the SEC. That’s been the goal for such a long time.”

DiStefano added that he had yet to see a “final number on media rights (from Kliavkoff) … that’s why we’re meeting tomorrow.” <-

Reaction Score
You're disputing the quote from the article above?

Not to mention the B1G will now have 16 (up from 14) teams and the Big12 will have 12 (up from 10).

What time slots would the Big East possibly overlap with the Pac anyway?

I'd be interested in being proven wrong if it's the case - I just don't see how it adds up the way you are saying it to be.
First, FOX/FS1 has been blocked out of men's basketball tournaments/championships in the new conference media deals. Do you agree with that? Next, the Big 10 will have 45 men's basketball games on FOX/FS1 in their new media deal which is about equal to what they broadcast now. Do you agree with that? Right now, FOX/FS1 will lose 22 Pac 12 games. Do you agree with that? Yes, the Big 12 basketball inventory is new, but not defined as to the number yet but ESPN will still broadcast basketball games as well.

FOX/FS1 is currently broadcasting ~ 20 games Big East games on FOX and over 100 games on FS1 plus the entire Big East Tournament.

Let's assume FOX/FS1 gets 60 Big 12 basketball games and loses the Big East TV package (as well as the Pac 12). That would mean FOX/FS1 goes from ~190 mens's college basketball games plus a conference tournament to 110 games with no conference tournament. So, yes, I think losing the Big East will create a big hole in FOX's college basketball coverage.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
First, FOX/FS1 has been blocked out of men's basketball tournaments/championships in the new conference media deals. Do you agree with that? Next, the Big 10 will have 45 men's basketball games on FOX/FS1 in their new media deal which is about equal to what they broadcast now. Do you agree with that? Right now, FOX/FS1 will lose 22 Pac 12 games. Do you agree with that? Yes, the Big 12 basketball inventory is new, but not defined as to the number yet but ESPN will still broadcast basketball games as well.

FOX/FS1 is currently broadcasting ~ 20 games Big East games on FOX and over 100 games on FS1 plus the entire Big East Tournament.

Let's assume FOX/FS1 gets 60 Big 12 basketball games and loses the Big East TV package (as well as the Pac 12). That would mean FOX/FS1 goes from ~190 mens's college basketball games plus a conference tournament to 110 games with no conference tournament. So, yes, I think losing the Big East will create a big hole in FOX's college basketball coverage.

Good post. I searched for a bit to try and find any indication of the amount of Big 12 basketball games on Fox but came up empty handed.

Could be that Fox still wants a piece of the BE but the exposure will be less and the demand will be less from Fox considering they already have a good amount of inventory.

Guess here is that Fox likely retains the biggest chunk of BE games but then we're looking at Pay wall streaming platforms as opposed to the 120 games on FS and FS1.

Reaction Score
There's 2 years before the contract expires and they are not competing with P5 conferences. The situation is not even close to being the same.

If the B12 is to be believed and basketball is undervalued, why would one of the best basketball leagues in the country with a well know brand not be able to take advantage of it?
The problem is YOU aren’t THEY but you stand a chance of being paid like them. There’s exactly 1 brand in The Big East. Maybe 1.5 depending on how important you consider Villanova. The rest of the teams in The Big East are worth about .10 on the dollar. More problematic is that they know it and are happy to get it. Does anyone here think Butler or Creighton gives a rip what happens to UConn Football as long as they can ride your coattails in basketball?

Reaction Score
Well, all this media speculation/analysis, whatever you want to call it, is fun. But it strikes me that there is nothing better to talk about which is why we are doing it -- with very little information for an informed discussion. And from 50K feet, it has the appearance of overthinking the current situation. If nothing has happened by the NC State game, well it is another wait till next year juncture. But of course by then we will have actual football to discuss.

Reaction Score

The sports media also being the ones that hold the contracts is so funny and absurd when you read tweets like this. You would think that if there was a contract with Fox, ESPN, CBS, etc. their reporters would have heard something.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The PAC is like George Costanza avoiding a break up by avoiding his girlfriend. As long as they don't announce their media deal no one will leave.

They are concerned about shrinkage!!

Reaction Score
UNC AD Bubba Cunningham on ACC GOR:

-> North Carolina AD Bubba Cunningham joins the Ovies + Giglio podcast, says he doesn’t believe the Smith Center is an appropriate place to sell alcohol, calling it a “perfect facility for 9K people” that UNC regularly fits 21K into. “We’d have to make some renovations, modifications before I’d really consider it.” Cunningham also opens up about the intractability of getting out from under the ACC’s GOR: “People say, well, just get out, pay the fee and then go to court and settle the grant of rights. Well, I'm not sure you can, and I don't know how long it would take, and I don't know what the number would be. So, in my opinion, the better thing to do is make this league the best we can possibly make it.” Full Q&A. (link) <-

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed the debate.
Knowing everything we now know, would people still prefer ACC invite today assuming we got invite over Big 12 invite?

Assume full shares happen at same time.

I’m not sure ACC is better. Would UConn lock up media rights until 2036?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Knowing everything we now know, would people still prefer ACC invite today assuming we got invite over Big 12 invite?

I’d take ACC in a second. B12 or ACC, take the first that would offer. ACC gets us better travel, better matchups. Plenty of former BE opponents. Even if we miss out on a “potential” 5m a year, it’s a huge raise and the best possible geographic fit.

Reaction Score

Definitely the B12. Screw the ACC due to its history. Won't mind be in a conference with NC schools and Virginia, but the old Big East backstabbers are too much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be nice to have choices. It would get us out of the limbo that we find ourselves in due to the perception that we will always be available.

Absolutely, take the first to offer, even though I believe the big 12 is better positioned to survive.

Reaction Score
I just think we are not a good geographic fit for the Big 12. We are not in a good recruiting area and our football program does not draw any fan interest from any team in the Big 12. We put ourselves in this position by leaving the AAC. We needed to do what Cincinnati did, stay the course, win the conference and make the playoffs. They had much better management than we did. We didn’t need the Big East to win another title in hoops.
Wait... Big 12 isn't a good geographic fit but leaving the AAC, which has a very similar geographic footprint, was the wrong call? lmfao at least try to have some consistency

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom