Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 577 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
These people are crazy. If you can't leave now, and have to wait until 2036, then why bother saying it now?

Do you like less money than you're getting now?

Boyfriend to girlfriend, "I'm not going to leave you now, but in a couple of years, I'm definitely out the door!"
Seriously? Because it's America in 2023 and people want their own truth and are willing to pay to consume it. So he says this, and it makes donors happy, and no one cares that he has no way to make it happen for a dozen years.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I'm in North Central Texas where it's been >100 degrees for three weeks (107 yesterday) with no break in sight, wishing I was in Hyannis (actually Nantucket), Myrtle Beach or on an Alaskan Cruise . . . just about anywhere but here. Looking forward to being in CT for the Duke game.

Reaction Score
It sounds as if Yormark in the midst of a similar process. He’s set on UConn. He’s hoping others with a say in the Big 12’s future have a transition of thought and see UConn as the best partner for years to come.
I still think it makes the most sense then to get to 16. The schools give Yormark what he wants and get 3/4 of what they might want.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think the reason FSU is making noise (beyond showing their fan base that they see the issue) is in hope that the B1G or SEC will call and say "if you get out of the GOR we'll add you to our conference".

As one of the talking heads pointed out, the $30 million a year for ten years (proposed payout) could be covered with B1G or SEC revenues. Buying out at an exorbitant price, just to wallow as an independent for who knows how long makes zero sense. And by the way, the proposed buyout may be well below what the final number ends up being.

Reaction Score
I think the reason FSU is making noise (beyond showing their fan base that they see the issue) is in hope that the B1G or SEC will call and say "if you get out of the GOR we'll add you to our conference".

As one of the talking heads pointed out, the $30 million a year for ten years (proposed payout) could be covered with B1G or SEC revenues. Buying out at an exorbitant price, just to wallow as an independent for who knows how long makes zero sense. And by the way, the proposed buyout may be well below what the final number ends up being.
But if the 30 for 10 number is right, even if they could get into the B1G or SEC with a full share, they'd basically be earning the same exact money they are now, so I'm not sure why they think going down that road now is worth it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I still think it makes the most sense then to get to 16. The schools give Yormark what he wants and get 3/4 of what they might want.
If us. Big if. Dooooomed. Is it Utah or ASU that gets shafted?

Reaction Score
The Mike Anthony article in Hearst just now posted is troubling. It makes a nice case for why UConn deserves a Big 12 invite. However it cites sources indicating that Yormark is trying to persuade the Big 12 schools that UConn makes sense. Presumably Anthony's source is someone high up in the athletic department, who has presumably been in recent communication with Yormark regarding our status. It's disappointing and concerning that we are still at the point of needing to convince the Big 12 leadership of the merits of adding UConn. Moreover this would appear to clearly refute the "we are already in" crowd who are posting that it's a done deal for UConn. Seems far from it.
Also if you don't already please consider subscribing to CT Insider/Hearst, their UConn coverage alone is worth it.

pj

Reaction Score
PLEASE!!! UConn in the B12 makes the decision a lot easier for Cuse and Pitt to make the move too

If taking UConn means getting Cuse and Pitt too, you can expect Utah to be in the B12.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The Mike Anthony article in Hearst just now posted is troubling. It makes a nice case for why UConn deserves a Big 12 invite. However it cites sources indicating that Yormark is trying to persuade the Big 12 schools that UConn makes sense. Presumably Anthony's source is someone high up in the athletic department, who has presumably been in recent communication with Yormark regarding our status. It's disappointing and concerning that we are still at the point of needing to convince the Big 12 leadership of the merits of adding UConn. Moreover this would appear to clearly refute the "we are already in" crowd who are posting that it's a done deal for UConn. Seems far from it.
Also if you don't already please consider subscribing to CT Insider/Hearst, their UConn coverage alone is worth it.
I still have confidence GoKU has a better pulse on the B12 conference than Anthony.

Reaction Score
I dont see the BiG's hand being forced by anyone. They'll add when they want to add. Wash/Ore's value hasn't changed in the last 3 weeks.

Exactly. I think it takes B1G leadership a week to decide if they need the bathroom. Any new conference moves will take them 6 months.

I still believe UConn is headed to big 12. If I’m wrong then BY deserves an Oscar with his “basketball is undervalued and we need a NY presence” stick.

Have faith fellow Huskies.

pj

Reaction Score

It all depends on who the competition is. I'm surprised we didn't beat out UCF, BYU, and Houston earlier, but they didn't have Yormark leading them then. He's a smart guy and knows UConn brings a lot more than Utah, especially with BYU bringing much of the Utah market already, and UConn adding large parts of New York and New England to the state of Connecticut. Also he's probably right that when P5 breaks away from NCAA, the basketball tourney money will go a long way to making basketball revenues rival football's.

So if it's just top 3 among Arizona, ASU, Utah, and UConn, we're in. But if B12 can get any of Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford -- well, who knows.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exactly. I think it takes B1G leadership a week to decide if they need the bathroom. Any new conference moves will take them 6 months.

I still believe UConn is headed to big 12. If I’m wrong then BY deserves an Oscar with his “basketball is undervalued and we need a NY presence” stick.

Have faith fellow Huskies.
Fellow Huskies?

Reaction Score
That’s a breath of fresh air!!!

In the meantime, sources say, Yormark thinks UConn’s addition would make the Big 12 a more enticing landing spot for programs on the move in coming years. The ACC, for instance,
Big 12 needs fans like us
I feel like it would have to be Utah, right?
BYU may not want them

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
And the vast majority of other college fans would loose interest. If these teams are playing each other and there’s nothing at stake for their team, why would they care?
To your point: It has literally been years since I watched a single college football game that UConn wasn’t in. And I used to really follow it. I can probably still name every Heisman winner from 1980 to around 2010. But I couldn’t tell you who’s won the last three national championships. I just don’t care. Realignment murdered my interest in the sport (except for UConn; I’ll always root for UConn in anything).

If Rule #1 is ever repealed someday, I’ll come back. Not a minute sooner.

Reaction Score

-> Would UConn make an immediate football splash? Of course not. But Yormark doesn’t need UConn football to be great. He doesn’t even need the Huskies to be competitive week in and week out sooner than is realistic.

He just needs UConn football to continue on a certain path. UConn, Yormark believes, has the right coach in place in Mora, who led the Huskies to a 6-7 record and a bowl appearance in 2022. Attendance at Rentschler Field increased. UConn is at least functional for the first time in a long time. The Huskies are recruiting better players out of high schools and out of the transfer portal, plucking some from Power Five programs.

There are major strides remaining for the program to make, of course. But any goals associated with Mora’s next phase of the project would be more accessible under the Big 12 umbrella and with that Power Five moniker attached to the program. Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida – three of four new additions to the Big 12, with BYU – have seen upticks in recruiting prowess. Wouldn’t UConn expect the same transformational impact and expect to function at a much higher capacity within a few years? <-

Access <<

This is great

"There are, of course, emotional ties to the Big East and certain fans who would cast away football for a sole focus on basketball in the Big East. But the university has shown it will support football aggressively, the motivation being that the sport, in this landscape, has to be driving a bus that carries every UConn program to a place from which it can win."

"The rest lines up just fine. Look across the nation, across platforms: Does any program, in its major sports, have a better four-coach lineup than Mora, Hurley, Geno Auriemma and Jim Penders? The Huskies win in Olympic sports, too. UConn has a big-time feel and a big-time operation without a big-time affiliation. It needs one."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To your point: It has literally been years since I watched a single college football game that UConn wasn’t in. And I used to really follow it. I can probably still name every Heisman winner from 1980 to around 2010. But I couldn’t tell you who’s won the last three national championships. I just don’t care. Realignment murdered my interest in the sport (except for UConn; I’ll always root for UConn in anything).

If Rule #1 is ever repealed someday, I’ll come back. Not a minute sooner.
And as you wrote this my brother texted me if I’d be Interested in going to the UConn Tennessee game.

And I am actually considering it. He was at the UConn Liberty game last year.

Reaction Score
Okay. Now tell us why the ACC would do that? Why isn't the immediate answer "no"?
It may very well be.
But there is a long game at play here too. They are hoping over time more will come around to their position.

Again might not work , but is there any downside to FSU issuing the threat?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Utah gets in ahead of us.
This is what I am hoping for.

Listening to Greg Flugaur this afternoon talking about Oregon and Washington being added to the Big 10, he said that the Big 10 wants to be a national conference. And that is exactly what Brett Yormark said about the Big 12.

And Yormark doesn't strike me as the type of guy who is going to watch the Big 10 become a national conference without him advancing his own plans.

"We have a plan,” Yormark said in a video conference with members of the media. “As I’ve said all along, we have an appetite to be a national conference in our makeup from coast to coast, and we do believe in the upside of basketball moving forward as a collective group.

From a brand perspective, I want us to be perceived nationally and recognized.
That wasn’t the case when I took the job. People in New York said, ‘Where are you going?’ The Big 12. ‘The Big what?’ And that’s Ok. Our brand awareness doesn’t resonate everywhere. And I want to change that. One way to change that is to create a new narrative and profile, which we are doing to leverage the influence of ESPN and Fox.

“Another approach to take is creating a footprint nationally. It gives you a vested interest in those markets. Certainly probably more challenging to do that but certainly a possibility. If the situation presents itself, where it’s additive and creates value, enables us to reach some of our goals and objectives, we’ll do that.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom