Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 474 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
UConn would benefit more than the Big XII. UConn would bring much more fans and excitement to NYC events than anyone and give them a Northeast presence.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree, expand now with SDSU and UConn. Expansion shows strength and stealing SDSU from the PAC12 weakens them.
One possibility that hasn't been mentioned (due to none of us knowing the details) is the possibility of a G-5 addition would give the B-12 a full prorated share if that school is paired with a current P-5 addition but the revenues would be less if it is two G-5 additions.

Reaction Score
The Denver, CO designated market area (DMA) is a U.S. television market serving the people in the state of Colorado. It is the 16th biggest media market by size in the United States, with a total population of 1,792,540 TV households as of the 2022-2023 television season, down -1%from that of the 2021-2022 season.

The Hartford-New Haven, CT designated market area (DMA) is a U.S. television market serving the people in the state of Connecticut. It is the 34th biggest media market by size in the United States, with a total population of 1,014,160 TV households as of the 2022-2023 television season, up +1% from that of the 2021-2022 season.

If you add Fairfield county, total CT households are about 1.375 Million, enough to rank #21. This does not include the Springfield area which is approximately 260K.

And considering, with over 1mm households, we're about 3 times bigger than the Syracuse market. But I guess they claim some of NYC? But, is that BS or what? (And they have won jack s--- in decades...) However, it is not BS to say we'll attract a good chunk of Fairfield County - that must count for something. It makes the gap with Syracuse even more pronounced. (The more you think about getting the "iggy" from the ACC in 2011 and 2012, the more it pisses me off...)

Reaction Score
Denver is one of the largest metro areas in country. That’s an expansive market, no? Certainly more eyeballs than Hartford. Besides, it brings them back home in a way to what’s left of big 8.
Plus they sell weed

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1687986895525.png

Note that he never gives any explanation of the affiliation of these two sources" not even a fairly benign sources within the big 12. They are just "sources" are they other journalists? Are they coaches from the big east? We don't know as our Boston College friend never gives any description of whether or not they're "credible sources" a phrase that is commonly used, but conspicuously absent here. That's usually a pretty good indicator that we wouldn't find them particularly credible.

No too that, though he's given no indication that he's talked to them directly, DeMauro expresses an opinion of what the athletic directors believe. If you read him carefully he tells us that they are not, in fact, the decision maker. Instead, he says that the university presidents will rely upon the athletic directors in making their determination. What's his basis for that belief? We don't know, it is unsourced. It could just be his opinion and likely, that's all it is.

Now keep in mind that other reporters have said that Yormark is given very considerable difference by the University presidents who are the actual decision makers, not the athletic directors. There's been a lot of reporting that Yormark is very high on us and wants to establish a presence on the East Coast and in particular in the New York metro area. There's no other university that gives him a better opportunity than we do and in fact we are the best opportunity to do so by a wide margin.

If you read the DeMauro's column carefully it becomes clear from what he says and does not say that this is, at best, a questionably sourced opinion piece by him. He's doing what he does, taking pot shots at Connecticut athletics, in the hopes that he'll get clicks from it. Let's not indulge that.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
View attachment 89314
Note that he never gives any explanation of the affiliation of these two sources" not even a fairly benign sources within the big 12. They are just "sources" are they other journalists? Are they coaches from the big east? We don't know as our Boston College friend never gives any description of whether or not they're "credible sources" a phrase that is commonly used, but conspicuously absent here. That's usually a pretty good indicator that we wouldn't find them particularly credible.

No too that, though he's given no indication that he's talked to them directly, DeMauro expresses an opinion of what the athletic directors believe. If you read him carefully he tells us that they are not, in fact, the decision maker. Instead, he says that the university presidents will rely upon the athletic directors in making their determination. What's his basis for that belief? We don't know, it is unsourced. It could just be his opinion and likely, that's all it is.

Now keep in mind that other reporters have said that Yormark is given very considerable difference by the University presidents who are the actual decision makers, not the athletic directors. There's been a lot of reporting that Yormark is very high on us and wants to establish a presence on the East Coast and in particular in the New York metro area. There's no other university that gives him a better opportunity than we do and in fact we are the best opportunity to do so by a wide margin.

If you read the DeMauro's column carefully it becomes clear from what he says and does not say that this is, at best, a questionably sourced opinion piece by him. He's doing what he does, taking pot shots at Connecticut athletics, in the hopes that he'll get clicks from it. Let's not indulge that.
I have heard from my sources that his two sources are his left butt cheek and has right butt cheek. That is where this information seems to be pulled from.

Reaction Score
To undermine our bid, the first step is chum the waters with doubt through proxies. Step 2 is amplify the doubt peddling it in bigger media channels Sadly, our own media falls for this garbage.

Reaction Score
I agree, expand now with SDSU and UConn. Expansion shows strength and stealing SDSU from the PAC12 weakens them.
SDSU won't get a full media share like we would. Might not make financial sense for them.

Reaction Score
I think it’s clear that if the PAC 12 does not get the TV deal they need, then the 4 corner schools will join the Big 12. That still does not really solve their revenue gap with the B1G and SEC.

It makes very good business sense to me for the ACC, Big 12 and the PAC 12 to merge into one 36 team conference. That would give them control of a huge amount of national programming. With that content they could get a much larger payout per team.

Reaction Score
SDSU won't get a full media share like we would. Might not make financial sense for them.
The Big 12 doesn't want unequal revenue, which is why SDSU/UConn won't work. You would have to add SDSU at 15-18 million per year. They just aren't worth much. This is why media reports say the Big 12 has had little contact with SDSU. Yormark sees value with UConn. Not with SDSU.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 doesn't want unequal revenue, which is why SDSU/UConn won't work. You would have to add SDSU at 15-18 million per year. They just aren't worth much. This is why media reports say the Big 12 has had little contact with SDSU. Yormark sees value with UConn. Not with SDSU.
The only thing the screws us at the finish line is a 4 corner deal. That worries me.

Reaction Score
I think it’s clear that if the PAC 12 does not get the TV deal they need, then the 4 corner schools will join the Big 12. That still does not really solve their revenue gap with the B1G and SEC.

It makes very good business sense to me for the ACC, Big 12 and the PAC 12 to merge into one 36 team conference. That would give them control of a huge amount of national programming. With that content they could get a much larger payout per team.
I don't think this is clear at all. They mostly want to stay together probably having to do with academic stuff.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is clear at all. They mostly want to stay together probably having to do with academic stuff.
Couldn't they just make a new academic alliance? I don't get this mixing business with pleasure stuff where the football team needs to be aligned with whatever the biology department is doing. The athletic department and academic departments couldn't be more different, so I don't know why schools insist on tethering them to each other.

Reaction Score
The Denver, CO designated market area (DMA) is a U.S. television market serving the people in the state of Colorado. It is the 16th biggest media market by size in the United States, with a total population of 1,792,540 TV households as of the 2022-2023 television season, down -1%from that of the 2021-2022 season.

The Hartford-New Haven, CT designated market area (DMA) is a U.S. television market serving the people in the state of Connecticut. It is the 34th biggest media market by size in the United States, with a total population of 1,014,160 TV households as of the 2022-2023 television season, up +1% from that of the 2021-2022 season.

If you add Fairfield county, total CT households are about 1.375 Million, enough to rank #21. This does not include the Springfield area which is approximately 260K.
With streaming taking over media, the traditional metrics of cable boxes and market DMAs will no longer apply in the near future. A school's value will be assessed on having/building/constantly cultivating a national (and international) following. We have to keep building our national profile/brand and churning out proud alumni.

Reaction Score
If that's the Pac12 media deal, I don't think Washington or Oregon will be happy. They'll be ringing the B1G's doorbell non-stop. Their problem is that they are at the mercy of the B1G. If and when those teams leave the Pac12, sayonara to that league. Don't see a merger with the ACC and Big12 being a solution. Cultures are too diverse. The ACC is ready to implode anyway and schools would leave so fast your head would spin. The ACC is only being held together (unhappily for now) by the GOR deal.

Even if the Big 12 takes the 4 corner schools, it still doesn't give them the northeast presence that Yomark is looking for. Wouldn't be surprised if he's also looking at GaTech for the Atlanta market if they become available down the road.

It's all clear as mud.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We will land in a major conference sooner than later, probably the B12, because we are an undervalued commodity. Our wins in multiple sports, fan support, location, academic reputation, and state wealth all point in our favor. At some point conference leaders will realize that we will add more to the conference than we will take. If we had AAU status I believe the B10 would scoop us. Without that, B12 is next best option.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We will land in a major conference sooner than later, probably the B12, because we are an undervalued commodity.
What's a bit frustrating to me is that outsiders (and many insiders) don't realize how our value will grow once we get into a P5 football conference. Big 12 football will sell out The Rent in it's first year.

Reaction Score
If that's the Pac12 media deal, I don't think Washington or Oregon will be happy. They'll be ringing the B1G's doorbell non-stop. Their problem is that they are at the mercy of the B1G. If and when those teams leave the Pac12, sayonara to that league. Don't see a merger with the ACC and Big12 being a solution. Cultures are too diverse. The ACC is ready to implode anyway and schools would leave so fast your head would spin. The ACC is only being held together (unhappily for now) by the GOR deal.

Even if the Big 12 takes the 4 corner schools, it still doesn't give them the northeast presence that Yomark is looking for. Wouldn't be surprised if he's also looking at GaTech for the Atlanta market if they become available down the road.

It's all clear as mud.
Also possible is that the Big 12 takes 3 of the 4 corner schools and UConn. I don't see why the Big 12 would want 2 Arizona schools. I think UConn is a better add than the second Arizona school.

But like you said, it's all clear as mud.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What's a bit frustrating to me is that outsiders (and many insiders) don't realize how our value will grow once we get into a P5 football conference. Big 12 football will sell out The Rent in it's first year.

Visiting team attenance will consistently be way beyond what UConn fans are used to seeiing. Nit UM game good but much better than normal.

Reaction Score
Many of the college football "experts" don't think much of any team north or east of Penn State. We suffer from that bias and the fact that we stunk from 2016 to 2021 (and didn't play in 2020). Institutionally and facilities-wise we are a P5 school all day long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom