Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 572 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I'm missing the incentive to the ACC to take the $300m settlement. Divy it up between the schools remaining + pay off some exit fees for additions to help incentivize folks to stay? Does a $23 mil lump sum payment per school move the needle in staying?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

This is beginning to feel like the ghost of Christmas future scene from A Christmas Carol where the cleaning ladies are trying to sell the items they took from Scrooge's house immediately after he passed away.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Have we seen posts regarding a basic conceptual understanding between the parties yet? Because I have not. And if not, then I would suspect the paperwork involves UConn rather than the Azs
That paperwork for UConn has already been done and is sitting in a locked box in whichever officials office that has to sign off on it. Just waiting for the paperwork to be completed by the AZ schools.

This is the smart way! I have spoken.

Reaction Score
Doomed.

That being said, ASU being on the move + the B1G opening its doors establish a really good trend of possibility for us
Granted football drives the bus, but my thoughts were AAU and hockey would make them a candidate for B1G.

Reaction Score
if it ends up us as 14 with CO, or 16 with CO, ASU, and AZ, i hope we invest long term in quality coaching. Start with Mora and keep him in an advisory role when he’s ready to retire from field coaching. And exploit the heck out of NYC NIL money sources.
Goal. Run roughshod through the Big XII. Year in year out top 20 football. DB knows how to do this from his SEC experience. Then catch the attention of the B1G.
If the Big XII were to go to with Utah to 16 I say forget about them. It shows no serious interest in the East. I’d rather wait to see how the ACC and PAC respond.

Reaction Score
if it ends up us as 14 with CO, or 16 with CO, ASU, and AZ, i hope we invest long term in quality coaching. Start with Mora and keep him in an advisory role when he’s ready to retire from field coaching. And exploit the heck out of NYC NIL money sources.
Goal. Run roughshod through the Big XII. Year in year out top 20 football. DB knows how to do this from his SEC experience. Then catch the attention of the B1G.
If the Big XII were to go to with Utah to 16 I say forget about them. It shows no serious interest in the East. I’d rather wait to see how the ACC and PAC respond.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ACC will own the rights until some settlement is reached. My comment was in response to a post claiming ESPN would sue the ACC and the ACC would then sue FSU. That wouldn't happen. If no settlement has been reached, ESPN will still be televising FSU games. If a settlement has been reached, ESPN could go after the ACC but FSU would be clear (due to the settlement). This is why it will neither be cheap nor easy for a school to get out if the GOR.
Pretty sure if there's a lawsuit, everyone is going to be named as a party.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yes the ACC conference has the GOR and yes they have a second contract that gives all their members home games to ESPN for broadcasting.

It’s this leasing agreement that the ACC is contractually obligated for the time period equal to the GOR to provide content to ESPN.

If FSU leaves, the ACC must come up with content to provide to ESPN that ESPN agrees replaces what FSU would provide if they remained.

It’s unlikely the ACC can grab a different school that would accomplish this so the ACC will sue FSU to retain all revenues of FSU’s home games as agreed upon by the GOR contract.

The conference that FSU goes to would have to agree to take FSU under these circumstances. How likely is the ACC GOR going to win and how likely any conference is going to take a chance on accepting FSU under these circumstances is speculative.
Unless it’s negotiated prior. That’s the sticking point. They can’t sue for something they agreed to prior.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The B1G long patient game seems to be coming together ....rather stunning.

Reaction Score

So if we don't get invited by the Big XII, your plan is to make sure we turn them down?

Reaction Score
I think that B1G news is somewhat good for UConn finding a potential landing spot. My thought is if B1G does go to 20, how does the SEC not try and keep up with that? They will try and get ACC schools or Big 12 schools even maybe.

This then will leave an opening for us in the Big12/ACC. Thoughts?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

This is the beginning of the end for CFB. The B1G goes to 20 so the SEC needs to keep up. They have 16 so they need 4 more. They go to the ACC and take their prize desire of UVA, UNC, and then maybe Clemson and FSU but not sure they really care because they already have a school in each of those states. Now the ACC backfills with UConn and.....umm..... The PAC is gone, Oregon St and Wazu go to the MWC and the Big 12 just fights for survival. Maybe the SEC takes UVA and UNC from the ACC and two from the Big 12? Who knows.

All I know is that this will kill one conference entirely and gut the ACC.

Oh and CR #1 occurs and UConn is still on the outside looking in.....

Reaction Score
I think that B1G news is somewhat good for UConn finding a potential landing spot. My thought is if B1G does go to 20, how does the SEC not try and keep up with that? They will try and get ACC schools or Big 12 schools even maybe.

I just read the SEC might be interested in TCU

This could go many different ways

Reaction Score

Or, this new pushes AZ/ASU/Utah to the B12 and leaves us with no life raft

Reaction Score
1. I don’t think there is anything behind what FSU said beyond pleasing boosters.

2. You are correct that no conference or network is going to pay for FSU’s games in advance of this being litigated. If FSU has a strategy to get out of the ACC before the GOR expiration, they would presumably move for a Declaratory Judgment that they can get out of it and just pay damages.

Unlike you, I am not an attorney. I accordingly will not even attempt to discuss the complex legal obstacles and risks.

I am though a Florida State alumnus, who worked at my alma mater from 1999 to 2010. Unfortunately, I don't have any well-placed direct campus connections left to contact. I can only offer the opinion of - a previoulsy FSU conference move skeptical - someone who closely follows university happenings.

I believe Florida State's leadership is currently posturing. I do not believe they're bluffing. I fully believe FSU's leadership intends to leave the ACC well before 2036.

How? No clue. Where would they go? No idea. When will this happen? Beats me. But I don't believe the wait to find out will be years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom