Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 478 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Pfft, Texas only has about 25% as many FBS schools per square mile as the Land of Steady Habits. (I think, but clearly could be off the mark)
but 160% as many per capita. (2.3m vs 3.6m)

Reaction Score

-> Possible expansion

Yormark has been very open about the possibility of adding even more teams to the Big 12 after Texas and Oklahoma depart for the SEC.

“If you’ve read what Brett Yormark has said publicly, then you can imagine what he’s saying privately,” said Holmoe. “There’s no question about it. That’s one of the key elements moving forward with conferences. There are so many changes right now. … When you see the impact that UCLA, USC, Oklahoma and Texas have on the total landscape of college athletics, the domino effect is amazing. You have to be paying attention to membership. There’s a ton of discussions about that. One thing that Brett does very well is, he handles a lot of that. It keeps our focus on the Big 12. We have to be great at what we do and not get distracted by the what-ifs or possibilities. I feel that he brings us the perfect amount of information so we’re not distracted.” <-

Reaction Score
With the Big12 having a fair amount of their games scheduled to be televised on Thursday and Friday nights, this is going to put the PAC 12 in a huge bind during their media rights negotiation. Between the B1G, SEC, ACC, and Big12 grabbing all the prime slots over linear and over the air television, there simply isn’t that many timeslots available for the Pac 12. Who knows, maybe they’ll be innovators going direct to consumer or full streaming for their sports Content?

Reaction Score
With the Big12 having a fair amount of their games scheduled to be televised on Thursday and Friday nights, this is going to put the PAC 12 in a huge bind during their media rights negotiation. Between the B1G, SEC, ACC, and Big12 grabbing all the prime slots over linear and over the air television, there simply isn’t that many timeslots available for the Pac 12. Who knows, maybe they’ll be innovators going direct to consumer or full streaming for their sports Content?
The game is rigged. The media cartel has every angle covered. They control times and content down to a science.

Reaction Score
I would assume the big east is in negotiations at this time with fox and cbs on a new media deal

Reaction Score
I would assume the big east is in negotiations at this time with fox and cbs on a new media deal
If they are, the networks will be wondering about UConn and if they are staying in the Big East.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The fact that they’d want Miami over FSU is a clue that it’s non-key, imo.

FSU is in the sticks in Tallahassee. South Florida has way more people. Of course, none of them follow the 'Canes anymore.

But, if you are telling B1G boosters and fans they have to travel to a football game in Florida, would you rather it be in Tallahassee or Miami?

I also don't discount Miami being a private school and the B1G being able to use them as a conduit to get everything ironed and not be worried about FOI requests.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
FSU is in the sticks in Tallahassee. South Florida has way more people. Of course, none of them follow the 'Canes anymore.

But, if you are telling B1G boosters and fans they have to travel to a football game in Florida, would you rather it be in Tallahassee or Miami?

I also don't discount Miami being a private school and the B1G being able to use them as a conduit to get everything ironed and not be worried about FOI requests.
Couldn’t they protect from FOIA using Northwestern or USC?

They could go to 18 with UNC and Miami, but I think the king game is more. If you are willing to take Miami over FSU for academic and/or market issues, then Georgia Tech has to be in play. Atlanta has a boatload of Big10 alumni in the area.

The open scheduling format allows flexibility in in additions. You can have any amount and it will work.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Couldn’t they protect from FOIA using Northwestern or USC?

They could go to 18 with UNC and Miami, but I think the king game is more. If you are willing to take Miami over FSU for academic and/or market issues, then Georgia Tech has to be in play. Atlanta has a boatload of Big10 alumni in the area.

The open scheduling format allows flexibility in in additions. You can have any amount and it will work.

I've said several times the holy grail for B1G is UVA, UNC, GT and one of Miami or FSU.

Absolutely lock up the mid-Atlantic and Eastern Seaboard with Penn St (I know PA doesn't touch the ocean but they're presence is there), Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina. Add in Georgia Tech and one of the Florida schools and you have a massive eastern presence.

I'm not a total Debbie Downer on FSU. I was only saying I understand a rationale or reasoning for going after the U.

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 is set to discuss some media rights options. That conference will move, and then the rest will. The initial frenzy of rumors, all the loud talk directly before and after annual conference meetings, has quieted a bit but the conversations haven't died. UConn is playing the waiting game, all it can do right now. Some movement nationally, and therefore some resolution for UConn, is expected sooner than later. Conferences aren't likely to want realignment uncertainty dragging into media day events and preseason football training camps that take place in August.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The Pac-12 is set to discuss some media rights options. That conference will move, and then the rest will. The initial frenzy of rumors, all the loud talk directly before and after annual conference meetings, has quieted a bit but the conversations haven't died. UConn is playing the waiting game, all it can do right now. Some movement nationally, and therefore some resolution for UConn, is expected sooner than later. Conferences aren't likely to want realignment uncertainty dragging into media day events and preseason football training camps that take place in August.

“Look, it’s been a decade since we were left out of the mix,” athletic director David Benedict said last Wednesday at Stony Creek Brewery before the latest UConn Coaches Road Show event. “I think in some ways, the longer we get away from that period of time and the more things change within the landscape of college athletics and the budgets continue to grow, it’s hard to think that 10 years from now we’d still be having this conversation in the same way because I’m not so sure college athletics and conferences are going to look the same as they do today or will even next year. The timing is what it is. We’ve earned the right to be in the conversation.”

Reaction Score

Key part in this entire thing ... "UConn is playing the waiting game, all it can do right now." .... Anyone who has been questioning dependency on Colorado's moving has their answer.

Reaction Score
I've said several times the holy grail for B1G is UVA, UNC, GT and one of Miami or FSU.

Absolutely lock up the mid-Atlantic and Eastern Seaboard with Penn St (I know PA doesn't touch the ocean but they're presence is there), Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina. Add in Georgia Tech and one of the Florida schools and you have a massive eastern presence.

I'm not a total Debbie Downer on FSU. I was only saying I understand a rationale or reasoning for going after the U.

I believe that you're correct with your line of reasoning. UVA and UNC have long been in the cross hairs of The B1G as realignment targets. I believe that the conference will do whatever needs to be done to secure what are considered the two premier programs within those states.

GT, while they've floundered athletically over the last few years, are still AAU, located in a major media market, and are in a state that is home to many B1G Alums. No one is going to argue that they are an equal brand to UGA, however having representation in the state for negotiating linear TV Deals and recruiting student athletes will be very important going forward.

Miami to me is interesting. Prior to AAU Membership I would have said that they were a longshot at best. FSU profiles more closely as a B1G Type Institution as Dayooper has pointed out, however I believe philosophically they align far better with the SEC. Same goes for Clemson. Miami, despite being in the South is much more Northeast leaning due to their time in both The ACC and Big East Conferences. They recruit the Northeast heavily for students, and their leadership is much more aligned with the schools of The B1G as opposed to The SEC. Having a warm weather location for early season Spring sports like baseball, softball, track etc. to compete would be ideal as well.

Where does that leave The PAC in all this? For a long time, people have assumed that UO and UW were locks as future conference members. Honestly I'm not so sure about that anymore. Neither school provides any relief as potential travel partners for USC or UCLA. They would simply add more cross-country flights for the majority of the conference. It could be argued that targeting Stanford for their location, academics, and overall AD + ASU (Now AAU) for their market, proximity to SoCal, and similar institutional profile to most of The B1G could make them a more attractive option than the Pacific Northwest Schools. We can't forget that ND will remain a target as long as they cling to independence. A Notre Dame addition could knock out one of The ACC Schools in a race to 20, or force growth to 24 with more PAC or ACC Additions. It will definitely be interesting to see things play out.

Reaction Score

I just don't see it at this point. FSU has a giant following and gets strong ratings. The only way I'd take Miami over FSU would be if the SEC has already told FSU they have a spot when they are free to move. Taking Miami over FSU would be a huge mistake. Take both? Then you might be onto something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom