Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 368 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Sorry Billy, football and the American are not why UConn bball struggled for years. I know many prefer this narrative...but it's nonsense. Kevin Ollie is why UConn bball struggled. Not sure why it's hard to see this and just root for UConn to have good sports in good situations across the board.

Having seton hall and providence fans at the xL (I guess i'll take your word those fans were bolstering bball attendance in the old BE) is not worth knee capping football. It's actually not worth much of anything.

And yes, there have been some bball only teams that have experienced some success in recent years, but this is a much harder path than the teams that have P3/4/5 football because...money.

Also I wouldn't buy stock in Villanova post Jay Wright, or ever want to be Loyola Chicago. We'll see how Gonzaga does in an NIL world where USC can offer Few seven million a year. We'll also see if Wright stays retired.
Jay Wright will never take another college job other than Nova.

You think Few is going to USC?

Reaction Score
I really feel like this is the best move for them. OSU and WSU are less “negatives” than 3 of the 4 just added by the Big12. Washington and Oregon playing their instate rivals every year is clearly more appealing than traveling to play UCF and Cincy.

PAC would probably be an ideal landing spot for a few Big12 teams. Take Texas Tech + Oklahoma State and Kansas + TCU if they want to get to the size of the ACC.

Let the rest of the Big12 go rot away in obscurity. Leaving college football with 2 power conferences, 2 “next best” conferences and the rest.
Colorado State, Utah State, KU, Kansas State, 2 schools in every state. The PAC-MAC. Then add SDSU, UNLV, Texas Tech, Okie State. Size matters.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
not true, Cincy actually improved until Cronin left. Syracuse went to a final four in the ACC. It's all about the coaching.

Houston hires a great coach in Sampson and thrives in the AAC. Louisville loses Pitino and falters. UCONN loses Calhoun and falters once his players leave the school.

If the Big East is such an incubator of great basketball how do you explain the declines in St Johns and Georgetown? Providence went how many years without ever winning a single tournament game? Seton Hall was garbage for a long time until they found a terrific coach in Willard.

Coaching, Coaching, Coaching. A conference is as good as its coaches.
Hurley said his recruiting pitch has been about UConn's tradition, facilities and ability to put players into the NBA. But, he said it has been tough selling the American Athletic Conference, which he called a great basketball league that "didn't fit us."

"Because of where we want to recruit and how we want to build it, the thing that we had to talk around to a kid from Brooklyn was, you know, Tulsa, Tulane the Texas schools," he said "That didn't necessarily fit what they envisioned in college — Madison Square Garden, the Big East Tournament, Villanova."

UConn announced last week that it is leaving the AAC to return to the Big East, where it won seven conference tournaments and three of its four national championships.

The timing of move has not been finalized, but Hurley said the excitement he's been hearing both from fans and prospects has been palatable.

"Kids are getting back to me a lot quicker," he said. "And some guys who weren't being as responsive; who I stopped communicating with, did come out of the woodwork and ask me how I was doing."

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
not true, Cincy actually improved until Cronin left. Syracuse went to a final four in the ACC. It's all about the coaching.

Houston hires a great coach in Sampson and thrives in the AAC. Louisville loses Pitino and falters. UCONN loses Calhoun and falters once his players leave the school.

If the Big East is such an incubator of great basketball how do you explain the declines in St Johns and Georgetown? Providence went how many years without ever winning a single tournament game? Seton Hall was garbage for a long time until they found a terrific coach in Willard.

Coaching, Coaching, Coaching. A conference is as good as its coaches.
Good coaching can survive a bad conference. It doesn't make it preferable.
Teams with bad coaches can absolutely struggle in a good conference.
UConn is better off in the big east.

I can get quotes all day long directly from people involved in the process citing the impact of the move to the big east.

At the end of the day, its my preference we stay in this conference and I'm unapologetic about that. I don't consider it anti to the UConn AD's best interests or the football program for.

Reaction Score
Good coaching can survive a bad conference. It doesn't make it preferable.
Teams with bad coaches can absolutely struggle in a good conference.
UConn is better off in the big east.

I can get quotes all day long directly from people involved in the process citing the impact of the move to the big east.

At the end of the day, its my preference we stay in this conference and I'm unapologetic about that. I don't consider it anti to the UConn AD's best interests or the football program for.
I love the Big East, but we need the money from a P5 league. The only way we can maintain the status quo is if we start crushing it in football and CBS or FOX wants to give us $10,000,000 for football and the Big East gets a bump to $8,000,000. There is just no way to justify it otherwise. Even with those pie in the sky numbers, the ACC would still be much better financially. It is a terrible situation.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if this is true or not - If the ACC expands, the contract opens back up and there will be a brief window of time no one is under the grant of rights contract from what I’ve read. This would give schools an out to leave if true.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I love the Big East, but we need the money from a P5 league. The only way we can maintain the status quo is if we start crushing it in football and CBS or FOX wants to give us $10,000,000 for football and the Big East gets a bump to $8,000,000. There is just no way to justify it otherwise. Even with those pie in the sky numbers, the ACC would still be much better financially. It is a terrible situation.
I do concede that's what best for our basketball program might not be what's best for the financials of the university.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don’t know if this is true or not - If the ACC expands, the contract opens back up and there will be a brief window of time no one is under the grant of rights contract from what I’ve read. This would give schools an out to leave if true.
That part is actually not true as I have recently found out.

Reaction Score
If true:

Reaction Score
If it was true, it would be the worst GOR ever.
It is one of the most one-sided contracts in media history. The ACC for some stupid, unknown reason thought it was brilliant to lock up their rights for 20 years. Epic fail.

Reaction Score

UCLA leaving Berkeley hung out to dry really is a shocker. The top two most prestigious public U's in the country cutting ties. Then again, if the BiG is gonna invite two from LA it only makes sense to invite 2 from Frisco, and then some.

""The mystery to me is how the regents allowed UCLA to go and leave Cal ... wounded,” a source told ESPN. “This is not good for Cal or anybody else in the Pac-10.”
Wilner reported that Cal chancellor Carol Christ was “blindsided” by news of UCLA’s move, along with USC, to the Big Ten.
“As a result, the Bears could experience a revenue reduction of at least $10 million annually, thereby jeopardizing their ability to support 28 Olympic and women’s sports (none of them are profitable),” Wilner wrote."

"Without USC and UCLA providing a link to the massive Los Angeles media market, the Pac-12’s revenue could be chopped by 40-to-50 percent starting in the 2024-25 academic year.

As a result, the Bears could experience a revenue reduction of at least $10 million annually, thereby jeopardizing their ability to support 28 Olympic and women’s sports (none of them are profitable)."

Reaction Score
UCLA leaving Berkeley hung out to dry really is a shocker. The top two most prestigious public U's in the country cutting ties. Then again, if the BiG is gonna invite two from LA it only makes sense to invite 2 from Frisco, and then some.

""The mystery to me is how the regents allowed UCLA to go and leave Cal ... wounded,” a source told ESPN. “This is not good for Cal or anybody else in the Pac-10.”
Wilner reported that Cal chancellor Carol Christ was “blindsided” by news of UCLA’s move, along with USC, to the Big Ten.
“As a result, the Bears could experience a revenue reduction of at least $10 million annually, thereby jeopardizing their ability to support 28 Olympic and women’s sports (none of them are profitable),” Wilner wrote."

"Without USC and UCLA providing a link to the massive Los Angeles media market, the Pac-12’s revenue could be chopped by 40-to-50 percent starting in the 2024-25 academic year.

As a result, the Bears could experience a revenue reduction of at least $10 million annually, thereby jeopardizing their ability to support 28 Olympic and women’s sports (none of them are profitable)."

If Cal cannot find a workable solution it will be the 2022 victim of realignment the way UConn was in 2012

Reaction Score
It is one of the most one-sided contracts in media history. The ACC for some stupid, unknown reason thought it was brilliant to lock up their rights for 20 years. Epic fail.
There were 6 power conferences at one point. Two run the world. One is dead. One just lost their two most valuable assets and could be on the verge of dissolving. One has lost 50% of their original members and whose saving grace now is no one wants any of the remaining carcass.The last has lost only one member. The GOR and contract length is the only reason the ACC has not been picked apart. So in that respect it did it’s job.

The main issue with the ACC is it’s football powers forgot they were football powers. Swofford put together the best football conference ever if it was 1999. Alas it turned 2003 but quick. So we are left at the whims of ESPN wanting to keep one step ahead of Fox and doing a contract adjustment during one of the periodic look-ins, or Notre Dame deciding they really don’t like the B10/independence. The first is plausible if unlikely, the second is just unlikely. Good run, made it to #3 in a two-league sweepstakes, them’s the breaks.

Reaction Score
There were 6 power conferences at one point. Two run the world. One is dead. One just lost their two most valuable assets and could be on the verge of dissolving. One has lost 50% of their original members and whose saving grace now is no one wants any of the remaining carcass.The last has lost only one member. The GOR and contract length is the only reason the ACC has not been picked apart. So in that respect it did it’s job.

The main issue with the ACC is it’s football powers forgot they were football powers. Swofford put together the best football conference ever if it was 1999. Alas it turned 2003 but quick. So we are left at the whims of ESPN wanting to keep one step ahead of Fox and doing a contract adjustment during one of the periodic look-ins, or Notre Dame deciding they really don’t like the B10/independence. The first is plausible if unlikely, the second is just unlikely. Good run, made it to #3 in a two-league sweepstakes, them’s the breaks.
There is no chance in hell ESPN will pay teams like Wake and BCU the same as Clemson going forward. I suspect in order to prevent B1G/Fox from raiding some of the top ACC top properties, ESPN will let them absorb into the SEC to up their payouts. ESPN will probably give rest of the leftovers an ok deal to keep them afloat until the next contract, or ESPN will work out some kind of ACC leftovers merger with PAC-12 leftovers to keep them away from FOX.

Reaction Score
I do concede that's what best for our basketball program might not be what's best for the financials of the university.
Then why in heck would they do what is best for basketball if it is not best for the university?

Reaction Score

Cal got a huge stadium debt in addition to lack of funding for multiple Olympic sports. This is a huge hit for Cal. Honestly, B1G should just kill the PAC-12 and take Cal and Stanford if ND doesn't join. It will lock up CA while force a PAC-12 leftovers and ACC leftovers to merge with some PAC-12 programs going to the B12 and MWC.

Reaction Score

I'm not saying it happens but it could well happen, especially if the Domers turn them down again. Just looking at the percentages of Big Ten alumni in the Bay Area tells you that it's a real possibility. Also assures the SEC won't enter that state, although that's a tertiary concern.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Then why in heck would they do what is best for basketball if it is not best for the university?
The points I’m making are not intended to suggest what UConn would do given the choice, it’s to counter the argument that leaving the Big East would be good for the bball program.

It’s pretty clear what the university would do, we’d go to higher revenue conference. Mora and DB are tipping their hand.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Connecticut governors making public statements about UConn in conference realignment is always so cringe.
UConn football official instagram account reposted the tweet. At this point I think it’s just wishful thinking and everyone attempting to will it to finally happen, but after nearly 20 years of this I’m not holding my breath.
741C2900-E6CF-436F-A786-B6D002A09BA3.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom