Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 280 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree with the "we need BYU for 4" theory. By most reports it seems that 2 is more likely than 4. I think eliminating BYU and having the discussion between UH/UC/UConn is a more favorable scenario. In that sense, we have to just not finish last. I guess UCF has a shot but I'm not on that bandwagon.

I continue to believe that BYU will be out and it will be four teams. If it is two, I think it is UConn and UC. They need four teams to get to Houston, but they are better off going all in on Eastern teams, so I think they pair a Florida school with Houston.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I continue to believe that BYU will be out and it will be four teams. If it is two, I think it is UConn and UC. They need four teams to get to Houston, but they are better off going all in on Eastern teams, so I think they pair a Florida school with Houston.
I think also think BYU is out.

I also think that the Big 12 is still looking for the networks to give them more money without expanding as their first option.

If they do expand, then I think it will only be two and I think it will be UConn and Houston. Though I don't think that's the smartest move for the Big 12, instead of Houston s/b either BYU (if they change their position) or Cinci. I really think we are number 11 if expansion happens.

Reaction Score
It's baffling to me that so many people view UCF (or USF) as a valuable commodity.

They're a distant fourth in the state of Florida with limited potential. They're not going to help the B12 break into that market.

Reaction Score

But at the end of the day, everyone realizes 2 is better than none, so one side may finally just cave and accept 2, even if it is not one of their top choices.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's baffling to me that so many people view UCF (or USF) as a valuable commodity.

They're a distant fourth in the state of Florida with limited potential. They're not going to help the B12 break into that market.
... and yet Houston is considered a leader in the hunt. Go figure.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

They're a distant fourth in the state of Florida

To be fair, it is a little different to be fourth in Florida than first in Wyoming, for example. Fourth in Florida is not terrible. That said, they are so distant (which you pointed out) that they have a lot of work to do to be relevant. But I do see the fascination. The Big East fell victim to it, too.

Reaction Score
... and yet Houston is considered a leader in the hunt. Go figure.
Houston has had good teams under 3 of the last 4 coaches. They fired a guy after one year for winning only 8 games. I think they're overkill for an already Texas heavy league, but they are neither a one hit wonder like UCF or program that was terrible and got hot under one coach like Memphis and then left.

Reaction Score
To be fair, it is a little different to be fourth in Florida than first in Wyoming, for example. Fourth in Florida is not terrible. That said, they are so distant (which you pointed out) that they have a lot of work to do to be relevant. But I do see the fascination. The Big East fell victim to it, too.
That was several years ago, and the motivation behind adding USF was to replace Miami so that they didn't completely lose the Florida market. Plus, Florida happens to be on the east coast, so those schools were well within the Big East's footprint.

The SEC has a stranglehold on the state of Florida, and the ACC owns the remaining scraps. Adding UCF, or even a package of UCF and USF, would be a complete waste of resources for the Big 12.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Houston has had good teams under 3 of the last 4 coaches. They fired a guy after one year for winning only 8 games. I think they're overkill for an already Texas heavy league, but they are neither a one hit wonder like UCF or program that was terrible and got hot under one coach like Memphis and then left.
But they are at best, 3rd in their market.

Reaction Score
But they are at best, 3rd in their market.
But they're argument is they can help win that market back from the SEC. I think the Big 12 just needs Texas to be good again, but Houston at least could point to big ratings in their huge market.

Reaction Score
i guess? but...

HOW ARE WE ONLY AT THIS POINT?

They're all looking for cover because they've made this a public spectacle and there's going to be blowback for some no matter who gets in. Now it's about the goalposts. Why are they considering expansion? What are the goals and priorities? Have they even sorted that out yet or will the goalposts end up somewhere in the Aero Lot?

Reaction Score
If you all don't believe that Houston is a legitimate frontrunner, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Yep, and they will be making the decision in large part based on the fact the Houston is currently ranked 6th in the country. Sad but true.

Reaction Score
Yep, and they will be making the decision in large part based on the fact the Houston is currently ranked 6th in the country. Sad but true.
Bingo. Doesn't make the most sense, but it's a huge factor. All of you here who were rooting for Houston on Saturday I still cannot fathom your logic.

Reaction Score
Although I doubt its' really lucrative the PAC just did something very interesting.
Pac-12 Networks Strike First Over-The-Top Deal With Sling TV
Pac-12 Networks, the multimedia company of the Pac-12 Conference that is wholly owned by the 12 university members, has struck a pact with Dish Network’s Sling TV service that makes all six of its regional feeds available to customers who subscribe its “Sports Extra” add-on package. Sling TV is Pac-12 Networks’ first over-the-top provider and will let customers watch Pac-12 games regardless of their location, the companies said in a statement Thursday. The deal will make the Pac-12 feeds available on a national basis, helping fans avoid regional broadcasting restrictions.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif

opt-out-icon2.png

“Our six regional networks, featuring 800 live sporting events and all-access original programming, will now be available over-the-top on Sling TV for Pac-12 fans across the country,”said Pac-12 Networks’ president, Lydia Murphy-Stephans, in a statement. “Sling’s innovative delivery model and great interface makes it incredibly easy for our fans to stay connected with their favorite Pac-12 school, team and sports.”

Reaction Score
So what happens when the non-Texas schools vote NO to UH? Clearly OU isn't interested. Will the non-Texas schools demand 14 in exchange for UH or will they be happy trading UH for Cincy?

If I was one of the smaller schools that didn't have a guaranteed landing spot in the event that UT/OU and perhaps a couple others bolt in 2024, then I'd be interested in getting to 14 and hoping that the leftover conference was still the 5th best conference in the country.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So what happens when the non-Texas schools vote NO to UH? Clearly OU isn't interested. Will the non-Texas schools demand 14 in exchange for UH or will they be happy trading UH for Cincy?

If I was one of the smaller schools that didn't have a guaranteed landing spot in the event that UT/OU and perhaps a couple others bolt in 2024, then I'd be interested in getting to 14 and hoping that the leftover conference was still the 5th best conference in the country.

I'm not convinced even UT truly wants UH. It's just a dog and pony show. With 4 teams they probably should get in. With 2? Absolutely not.

Reaction Score
Why the hell is she tweeting that? She and Cincy's Davenport show no class and verge on violating the NDA. Plus her photo of herself lacks decorum.

She seems pretty confident. Meanwhile our President tries to manage expectations and defers to the NDA anytime she's asked about it. Not a good sign.

Reaction Score
She seems pretty confident. Meanwhile our President tries to manage expectations and defers to the NDA anytime she's asked about it. Not a good sign.

Hopefully it's cockiness and not confidence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom