Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 229 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
"Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings."

I really think this is a double standard. I don't think the prescription that students live "a chaste and virtuous life" prohibits all forms of physical intimacy between heterosexual couples who aren't married. It covers sexual intercourse, sure, but not other forms of affection. On the other hand, two women (or men) kissing each other with romantic intent would clearly violate the provision quoted above.

If I'm wrong, please show me where the Honor Code prohibits any physical intimacy between unmarried heterosexual couples.

The link keeps timing out, so I'm not able to go back and check. I also really need to get back to work.

However, I think that's a fair interpretation though. If that's right, you just changed my mind.

Reaction Score
The link keeps timing out, so I'm not able to go back and check. I also really need to get back to work.

However, I think that's a fair interpretation though. If that's right, you just changed my mind.
From what I've read about the Honor Code, that's how it is and that's where the inequality would lie. An unmarried heterosexual couple can hold hands walking across campus and give each other a kiss whereas a homosexual couple cannot do the same. In 21st Century society, this is not exercising "religious beliefs", it's exercising discrimination. Change the delineation from sexuality to skin color and it makes even more sense.

What I don't know, and honestly haven't taken the time to look, is whether all BYU students are required to sign the Honor Code as part of admittance.

Reaction Score
Change the delineation from sexuality to skin color and it makes even more sense.

There's the rub. Some people still think you can "cure" homosexuality. Or that you can "change" your behavior. So they argue that if your faith is that important to you, and you're gay, you can go to BYU and not have a relationship. I'm not saying that is fair, or that is how it should be, just that it's possible. I'm not breaking new ground here, but you can be gay and hide it. You don't even have to hide it, you can just not "act" on your feelings. So the analogy doesn't really hold up because you can't hide being black. You can't not "act" black (taken out of context, that could one of the most unintentionally racist things ever said on this forum, lmao).

Reaction Score
There's the rub. Some people still think you can "cure" homosexuality. Or that you can "change" your behavior. So they argue that if your faith is that important to you, and you're gay, you can go to BYU and not have a relationship. I'm not saying that is fair, or that is how it should be, just that it's possible. I'm not breaking new ground here, but you can be gay and hide it. You don't even have to hide it, you can just not "act" on your feelings. So the analogy doesn't really hold up because you can't hide being black. You can't not "act" black (taken out of context, that could one of the most unintentionally racist things ever said on this forum, lmao).
You make good points, and you're right some people do think that you can just "change" being gay - this isn't the forum to discuss whether that assertion is right or wrong. But it doesn't change from the overarching point that the Honor Code as written is inherently discriminatory against a segment of the population. Also, simply not acting on it turns the policy into one giant don't ask, don't tell policy that is inevitable to fail. I have no idea how it's actually enforced on campus, whether homosexual couples have been singled out for showing affection on campus, or anything like that, I just read up on this for the first time today. But it's something that if you're the Big 12, you need to do your homework on and have direct and honest conversations with BYU about.

Reaction Score
If I'm a University president in an association dealing with the embarrassment Baylor has become, I'm not going anywhere near BYU.

Which is immensely depressing to say. If we're honest, no matter how strongly we feel about BYU's policy there aren't 5 of us that would want Herbst to turn down a B12 invite if it meant being associated with BYU in a P5.

Reaction Score
College Administrators are among the most PC of the PC in this country. They have zero interest in saying or doing anything that is going to cause blow back on their office unless it is 100% necessary. It is not even 1% necessary that they add BYU to The Big 12 Conference when there are other viable non controversial targets equally available. I see no way that BYU navigates this mine field to potential membership. I just hope that their potential exclusion does not hurt The Huskies chances in a potential four team add. An expansion to 12 teams with the addition of Cincy and Houston is so uninspiring and unimaginative yet oh so Big 12.

Reaction Score
Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel 12m12 minutes ago
Not admitting Houston because they'll get too good is the most shortsighted thing in Big12's myopic history

Why Houston could bring long-term stability to the Big 12

"Any conversation about the future of the Big 12 has to be viewed through the prism that there's a significant chance Texas and Oklahoma go elsewhere when the league's current television contract expires in 2025. If the Big 12 loses its only two marquee programs, wouldn't it covet a direct line into Houston's market, recruiting ground and potential? This needs to be a 20-year decision—again, not the Big 12's specialty—and there's an excellent chance Houston can grow into a top-tier Big 12 program in the next two decades".

Thamel is pissed the Big 12 might take UConn. Should the Big 12 take UH in case Texas and Oklahoma leave? Maybe. Or, like UConn, every conference could just leave them in purgatory knowing they will still be available in 8 years. National writers have absolutely no interest in writing an objective column. They are either the mouthpiece of some organization that keeps feeding them stories or they have some other agenda they are pushing. I think we all know Thamel's agenda.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 53m53 minutes ago
According to this ESPN must evolve beyond TV, and still has time to do it … ESPN isn’t losing subs b/c of a philosophy, it’s b/c of overall decline in appetite for sports.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 53m53 minutes ago
That may explain ESPN and Fox’s public outing of @Big12Conference for G5 expansion.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 42m42 minutes ago
Anyway, ESPN subs down again but everything else is up.

Matty ‏@Batty_Moy · 39m39 minutes ago
@dennisdoddcbs Do you think it helps for expansion purposes that UCF has ties to heads of Disney past and present?

Dennis Dodd
‏@dennisdoddcbs
@Batty_Moy Not unless Disney decides UCF to the Big 12 beats the street.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update · 45m45 minutes ago
Could BYU's LGBT policies really deter Big 12 move?

"Bowlsby responded to Athlete Ally, one of the leading organizations to send the letter, on Tuesday saying the Big 12 will take any form of discrimination into consideration during its publicly stated plans for expansion from 10 member schools".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is Dodd insane? ESPN is losing subs because they have been taxing tens of millions of people who never watched sports. These people finally have options to avoid that tax.

They are also losing subs because their games are available using anyone's log-in for Watch ESPN...

Reaction Score
As much as people don't like you here, I agree. If the Big XII doesn't take the true brand names they're screwed anyway.
Its not so much me they don't like.....its the situation their in and the fact all the other local peer schools are safely situated causing much consternation among the fanbase.....its completely understandable...it is what it is.....too bad they got such a late start in FB but they'll get in the P5 soon anyway.....hopefully in a better situation than the shaky B12!!! Now THATS a total clusterf..k.

Reaction Score
Its not so much me they don't like.....its the situation their in and the fact all the other local peer schools are safely situated causing much consternation among the fanbase.....its completely understandable...it is what it is.....too bad they got such a late start in FB but they'll get in the P5 soon anyway.....hopefully in a better situation than the shaky B12!!! Now THATS a total clusterf..k.

Self awareness Nicky...............please

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
You come up with "consternation" but can't handle there-their-they're?

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update · 45m45 minutes ago

"Bowlsby responded to Athlete Ally, one of the leading organizations to send the letter, on Tuesday saying the Big 12 will take any form of discrimination into consideration during its publicly stated plans for expansion from 10 member schools".

Interesting. How do you make this statement publicly and then go ahead and choose BYU? That would be setting yourself up for quite the torm.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The True Colors conference has been held at UConn for many years now - a groundbreaking, large-scale, cutting-edge event that is emblematic of the progressive arm of the LGBTQ community. Tweet away!!

If we got into the B12 because we are the candidate known as the friendliest to the LGBT community, that would be a curve ball I didn't see coming.

Access to major TV markets? Meh.
National championship sports programs? Meh.
Great academics? Meh.
LGBT friendly? You're in.

I'll take it, but it wouldn't have been the metric that I would have guessed that would put us over the hump lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom