Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 96 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Explain Rutgers to the B1G.

He could counter that with a remark about Nebraska. It definitely wasn't about television sets with Nebraska. Nebraska has under a million households in the entire state.

I think his point is completely accurate. It's not about television sets, it's ultimately about finances and research prowess. There are different ways to get there. For Rutgers, it happened to be that television sets was the path. But for an Oklahoma, for instance, it might be more about inventory and advertising.

Reaction Score
He could counter that with a remark about Nebraska. It definitely wasn't about television sets with Nebraska. Nebraska has under a million households in the entire state.

I think his point is completely accurate. It's not about television sets, it's ultimately about finances and research prowess. There are different ways to get there. For Rutgers, it happened to be that television sets was the path. But for an Oklahoma, for instance, it might be more about inventory and advertising.

We are agreeing on Oklahoma due to Football. We are questioning Kansas.

Reaction Score

This. No one is questioning the fact that Oklahoma could be ahead of us based solely on football. Just the logic of one poster saying "Oklahoma and Kansas" as if his lumping the two of them together in his mind ends the inquiry into whether or or Kansas makes more sense.

Reaction Score
I don't see the B1G taking Oklahoma and UConn in an environment where they're ABLE to get Oklahoma. If the BigXII cracks open as I suspect, suddenly it puts some nice options out on the table. The B1G's last move was almost purely TVs. Now, I think they're going to want content and while we offer it in basketball...if Kansas is on the table, and you're already looking west at Oklahoma, I think they would take the Jayhawks over us. Michigan State vs. Kansas would be a prime time highly touted basketball game, and while so too would MSU vs. UConn....we're talking about a world where the BigXII is collapsing and there's readily available options out west that aren't slouches in terms of brand equity and content.

Reaction Score
Also mods, I'm OK if we move this conversation to a separate thread to keep from muddying up the Key Tweets thread.

Reaction Score
If it is about content, as you believe, then it's even a bigger advantage UConn. FB and MBB are a wash between UConn/Kansas. Then you include WBB, M&W Hockey, Field Hockey, M&W Soccer and the scales tilt severely UConn's way.

No clue how it all ends up, and think both are long shots, but...

Reaction Score

Why? Kansas is comparable to Connecticut.

The entire state of Connecticut currently has just under 1.3 million households. The state of Kansas has almost 1.1 million. They both move the needle in a big way with basketball. Neither has been terribly successful with football. Currently Kansas is also an AAU member, so there's that. But the big thing is that they're a natural bridge to Oklahoma as well.

You really shouldn't be questioning Kansas. They too are a great fit for the Big Ten. And this is coming from a guy who's beat the UConn-Big Ten drums as loudly as anyone on the internet, I think.

Reaction Score
Reminder - this is the key tweet thread.

The half-assed commentary thread can be found elsewhere - go there.

There was a key tweet? Just about the entire thread is half assed. Likely every post it, but who has time to read 82 pp of supposed key tweets.

Reaction Score
Dana Holgorsen says he wants east-west, six team divisions in the Big 12.

“So I think you need to do what everybody else is doing, add two, have an East and a West division, and then you’re not playing everybody every year. If everybody else is going to play eight conference games, we should probably play eight conference games and then play four non-conference games that are regional.”

“I think we need to go get a couple more in this area — whether it’s UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Central Florida or South Florida,” said Holgorsen. “I don’t need to be the expert on who, but I think we need to add two.”

pj

Reaction Score

The entire state of Connecticut currently has just under 1.3 million households. The state of Kansas has almost 1.1 million. They both move the needle in a big way with basketball. Neither has been terribly successful with football. Currently Kansas is also an AAU member, so there's that. But the big thing is that they're a natural bridge to Oklahoma as well.

You really shouldn't be questioning Kansas. They too are a great fit for the Big Ten. And this is coming from a guy who's beat the UConn-Big Ten drums as loudly as anyone on the internet, I think.

We agree that Kansas is a great fit for the Big Ten, and so is UConn. The question is, if you could only take one, which would you prefer? Kansas and Connecticut are identical. Kansas is a bridge to Oklahoma, UConn is a bridge to New York City and Boston. And if Oklahoma is joining, do you need a bridge to it?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

“So I think you need to do what everybody else is doing, add two, have an East and a West division, and then you’re not playing everybody every year. If everybody else is going to play eight conference games, we should probably play eight conference games and then play four non-conference games that are regional.”

“I think we need to go get a couple more in this area — whether it’s UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Central Florida or South Florida,” said Holgorsen. “I don’t need to be the expert on who, but I think we need to add two.”

I'm impressed Holgy mentioned UConn. A football coach in a football conference that desperately needs to add two football schools to hold a Championship Game so they can increase their odds of a football playoff participant...mentioned UConn.

I've always said that sports are cyclical and now that we appear to be shifting back up again, it's nice to see football people take notice.

Reaction Score

Because 350k of those 1.3m households are located in the New York City DMA and the average income per household of those 350k homes in Fairfield County is one of the highest in the country. I am not saying Kansas is bad, just that we are a better choice in most metrics.

Reaction Score

Just the fact that UConn isn't automatically counted out for the Big12 is a plus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kansas Men's National Basketball Championships:
1952, 1988, 2008

Connecticut Men's National Basketball Championships:
1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Forgive me if I'm a little hesitant to declare men's basketball a wash. Kansas is certainly a good men's basketball program. We are a better one.

Reaction Score
Because 350k of those 1.3m households are located in the New York City DMA and the average income per household of those 350k homes in Fairfield County is one of the highest in the country. I am not saying Kansas is bad, just that we are a better choice in most metrics.

I think UConn is a better choice, but I don't think it's a very wide difference. Further, you have to remember that those 350,000 households in New York DMA you speak of are currently already on expanded basic with the Big Ten Network, now, so UConn wouldn't be bringing those as new households to the footprint. They can certainly be leveraged for a higher rate, so it undoubtedly adds value, but the Big Ten is now already on in most of those homes.

I prefer Connecticut to Kansas as a Big Ten guy. I don't think there's as much of a difference as you're suggesting, though. I also don't think we should assume Oklahoma would come without another Big 12 mate. Having Nebraska already there helps, but Kansas coming along would greatly enhance the possibility of landing Oklahoma. That is very germane to the discussion.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Kansas and UConn are about as close to a pick 'em as you can get in realignment terms. They have almost identical profiles athletically, academically, and in their home market. You have to look to synergies and access to neighboring markets that distinguish them.

pj

Reaction Score
AAU -- but legacy AAU. Their metrics on AAU standards are identical to UConn's. They wouldn't be granted AAU status if they applied today, but like UConn, they would be within a factor of two of qualifying.

I don't think AAU status would matter given the similarity of the profiles.

Reaction Score
I think UConn is a better choice, but I don't think it's a very wide difference. Further, you have to remember that those 350,000 households in New York DMA you speak of are currently already on expanded basic with the Big Ten Network, now, so UConn wouldn't be bringing those as new households to the footprint. They can certainly be leveraged for a higher rate, so it undoubtedly adds value, but the Big Ten is now already on in most of those homes.

How do you figure this?

The cable systems are inside Connecticut. DMA is only relevant for broadcast.

The amount of money that sports channels have charged inside of CT for UConn tier 3 rights dwarfs what the BTN charges in the heart of Rutgers and PSU territory.

As for basketball, B12 ball was just weaker than BE ball. Easier to come out on top so many times when your chief comp was Texas or Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Renu Khator ‏@UHpres · Dec 1
Wonderful to have Gordon Gee, president of West Virginia University, on our campus.

1. CVKz4z8UsAAWL8a.jpg

Reaction Score
With Herman staying at UH, this could be a subtle hint to UH fans. This is one coincidence that seems a little eerily timed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, looks like Houston has a friend in WVU. If this does happen, then Flugs' BTM gains some credence. I think he tweeted out over a year ago that Houston would be added because of intense pressure from within Texas.

If OU gets leapfrogged by a 1 loss B1G team (i.e. if Iowa loses a close game this weekend but retains its spot), then I think the B12 has their candidates lined up and ready to go. Houston and Cincinnati are probably gone by the end of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom