Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 910 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Met a sales rep yesterday at work. Dude saw my UConn hat and we started chopping it up about CBB. Guy was born and raised in Barcelona, Real Madrid fan. Lived in Texas for awhile, now in Miami. We both mutually agreed CBB is the most exciting sport to watch. Huge amount of respect for UConn. Thought it was interesting a European born and raised LA Liga fan is that high on American Collegiate Basketball. T
There is a possibility it might become more popular in Europe if more Europeans choose to play college basketball here in the USA due to NIL purposes.

Reaction Score
There is no way on this earth Northeastern got the 9th most applications in the US given that the entire California State university system exists... apparently the top 10 are ALL California schools.

Now, amongst privates, maybe. NU has always been seen as more approachable than the other privates and they're in Boston
Northeastern does some very ‘funky’ things when reporting figures. They’ve been buying up college campuses around the globe and sticking freshman there. Not sure it’s exclusive to Northeastern but I’m told it manipulates their acceptance rate as these students aren’t counted.

Reaction Score
Someone just posted showing UVM is still one of the top application schools in the nation. A lot of applications for it still. I'd call that through the roof. All colleges have huge issues now and most of them are at least 50% out of state
UVM's applications are in line with URI and UNH, but below state schools like UMass, UConn, Stony Brook, Binghamton, Buffalo, Delaware., SUNY Albany, Rutgers, Temple, Maryland, and private schools like Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Miami.

Most large state universities are not >50% out of state enrollment and UVM is by far the outlier.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Former Fox Sports Networks President Bob Thompson in video above doesn't seem eye to eye with what is happening. Potentially a view into why Fox is hesitant. He thinks the money seems high for its value.

"There's not a lot of people buying basketball only..... you dont really see a lot of people clamoring throwing around a lot of money for regular season basketball."

... "it's a bit of a commodity because there is so much out there"

"Let ESPN foot the bill."

"It's not technically NY DMA. But its close." ... There ya all go.
Good thing Bob Thompson, known hater and UConn suppressor, is not making these decisions

Reaction Score
Former Fox Sports Networks President Bob Thompson in video above doesn't seem eye to eye with what is happening. Potentially a view into why Fox is hesitant. He thinks the money seems high for its value.

"There's not a lot of people buying basketball only..... you dont really see a lot of people clamoring throwing around a lot of money for regular season basketball."

... "it's a bit of a commodity because there is so much out there"

"Let ESPN foot the bill."

"It's not technically NY DMA. But its close." ... There ya all go.
Yeah, but he glossed over something. If the current Big 12 deal is $32M and roughly 25% is bb, then it’s about $8M for BB.
That’s $8M for Kansas and $8M for TCU.
I’m guessing Kansas is more and TCU is less. So $10-$11M for UConn BB doesn’t sound too far off. If you’re going to discount FB, you need to be fair and add premium to the #1 BB program. And let’s be honest, does any school have a 1-2 punch like men’s and women’s BB?

I also disagree with comment about wanting ‘whole package’.
Who’s that? ESPN or Fox? Who by the way split this deal.

I think you might get more bidders for smaller pieces. You’ll definitely get a better sense of market value between FB and BB.

Overall interesting take. I don’t think he was against it, just that BY has a plan and it includes getting higher value for BB. If FB value comes way down, more than BB deal he loses.

Reaction Score
Isn't school pride also related to sports? I assume you didn't ask a bunch of people why they're wearing MSU gear, so your comments are really just opinion. I can't quite wrap my ahead around what "regional tradition" means in regard to merch.
I went to UConn because my oldest brother went there from 77-81. He would bring me to the men's soccer games and I was an avid fan of Husky Hoops on the B&W TV in my room. There was nowhere else I wanted to go. So even back then, the sports kicked off my love of and pride in UConn. I'm not suggesting sports is the end all for why people buy merch, but successful sports teams, like back-to-back natties, can really amplify the purchases.
Daughter goes to JMU.
Athletics are huge there for a ‘G5’ school.
Students have huge amount of pride. All you see on campus is purple shirts, hats, or sweats. Even if not purple, it’s says JMU or Dukes.
Very strong fb following with a decent history. Kind of a fun program to follow.

Reaction Score
UVM's applications are in line with URI and UNH, but below state schools like UMass, UConn, Stony Brook, Binghamton, Buffalo, Delaware., SUNY Albany, Rutgers, Temple, Maryland, and private schools like Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Miami.

Most large state universities are not >50% out of state enrollment and UVM is by far the outlier.
VT is a small population state. Seems like nearly half of Vermonters are CT transplants.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but he glossed over something. If the current Big 12 deal is $32M and roughly 25% is bb, then it’s about $8M for BB.
That’s $8M for Kansas and $8M for TCU.
I’m guessing Kansas is more and TCU is less. So $10-$11M for UConn BB doesn’t sound too far off. If you’re going to discount FB, you need to be fair and add premium to the #1 BB program. And let’s be honest, does any school have a 1-2 punch like men’s and women’s BB?

I also disagree with comment about wanting ‘whole package’.
Who’s that? ESPN or Fox? Who by the way split this deal.

I think you might get more bidders for smaller pieces. You’ll definitely get a better sense of market value between FB and BB.

Overall interesting take. I don’t think he was against it, just that BY has a plan and it includes getting higher value for BB. If FB value comes way down, more than BB deal he loses.
And with him having a career of sitting across the negotiating table from the Brett Yormarks of the world, I think Thompson's overall stance is still pro-tv and con-conference/teams.

Reaction Score
Charlie Brown Football GIF

Reaction Score
If by "football school" you mean a middle of the pack Big 12 team, then I 100% believe the program can be built to that level. If you mean that we would actually be competing for Big 12 titles and a playoff spot, then I don't think that's ever going to be possible and I'm ok with that. I just want us to be competitive again against your average to above-average P4 schools.
Middle of the pack Big 12 school is still a very good football team. They also said UConn could never win the Big East and play in a BCS bowl. They did that. Plus with the money that'll inevitably be made with the new expanded playoffs, the P4 will surely push for a larger playoff beyond that so they can get more teams in and rake in more money. This would most definitely give UConn a reasonable chance once in a while to make the playoffs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Love Benedict but this is crushing. Accept that we are outside looking in at whatever the top level of college athletics will be. And we are more likely to drop football down than ever building an on-campus stadium.

Reaction Score
IMMINENT

What options does UConn have?

The ACC hates us and that conference won't even be around down the road.

Yormark wants us but not enough presidents in his own conference want us and they have once again made us look like fools and they gave their commissioner the middle finger. ESPN and Fox aren't our friends, they seem to actively conspire against us.

Continue to lose tons of money on football every year waiting for the ACC to implode and have our fingers crossed we end up with Wake Forest, BC, SMU, and Cal? Or get rid of football and the 100 or so women's scholarships that go along with it so we can devote the money to basketball?

I really wish it wasn't this way but I'm leaning more and more towards scrapping football, it just hasn't happened for us and the financial drain with no end in sight doesn't seem sustainable.

Reaction Score
Love Benedict but this is crushing. Accept that we are outside looking in at whatever the top level of college athletics will be. And we are more likely to drop football down than ever building an on-campus stadium.
Dropping football down makes zero sense. If we aren't going to continue this charade then you need to get rid of the football program completely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom