Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 906 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Wow. I dont know where to start. Yes I said the local towns wouldn’t allow it. They will delay it in their councils and courts until long after we are both gone [and probably long after the current leagues are gone.
Sorry to enlighten you. We are season long time ticket holders for football [I well remember 40000 fans in the stadium for Big East games and 45000 for MIchigan]. And mens and women’s basketball. Unlike many on these sites, we are not fair weather fans. We attend almost every game. We are actually in our seats for the start of the game.
We have also been at games accross the country. sorry for you feeling you have to talk down to Me.
Tailgating at many college stadiums is not limited to a few hours before and after a game. My comment was that because of traffic, Penn State tailgating started Thursday and went through Monday.
In any event, the reason we dropped BB games in storrs is because the commute to Hartford took longer than the games. I can’t imagine what it would be for 50,000 or more for football
Football Saturdays are different. First off, you have the 20,000 who live on campus. But most people come in over night on college campuses. People camp out in RVs and such and tailgate. I've been around Penn State when there was a one lane road coming off of I-90 for 110,000 people. The whole weekend was an event.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It's all real money. I'm not sure what you're point is. Every department has allocations from the college according to head count. This is how they pay professors. Those bean counters consider each and every student.
Real question. When dealing with an athletic scholarship, does the AD actually transfer money somewhere for that scholarship?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Interesting comments from DB at the end of that. UConn has literally zero representation with the CFB, which is why we are paid next to nothing. ND gets their own representation despite being independent. It's always white glove special treatment for them.

Reaction Score
I believe the initial tweet said that the PAC-2 couldn’t come to an agreement with the Mountain West for a scheduling agreement for 2025.

There was a reply to that tweet from a UConn fan saying wouldn’t be surprised if Wazzu and Oregon State joined the ACC.
There was commentary that they want the Big 12 and they can't believe UConn was under consideration and not them.

Reaction Score
Real question. When dealing with an athletic scholarship, does the AD actually transfer money somewhere for that scholarship?
All money is managed by the financial manager's office in the form of credits and debts. Whether that comes from the bursar (student accounts), the private foundations (endowment and research), running food services, or student housing, an academic department, or the AD.

So, for instance, if I'm allotted a certain amount for a program I run, I have to go through a financial manager in my college to get approval for the funds.

In other words, the AD never handles any money. They always receive approvals from the managers. I imagine those approvals are easy to come by, for the most part.

If you're asking if this is real money for those athletic scholarships, it is. The money allotted to departments by the financial managers for each athlete is real and just like every other student, it's meticulously counted.

I can get into some of the minutiae of it but it'll make you bleary-eyed. The short of it is this: the entire health of a department is determined by the number of majors / minors / students taught in department courses divided by the salaries of all the instructors who either taught those courses or who are in the departments.

That tuition money is the bottom line, basically. If the AD wasn't charged for it, they'd be freeloading off other departments.

Reaction Score
Note: Flugaur said this is how Yormark is going to placate Fox who is not in favor of UConn going to the Big 12. He said that Fox wants these games and Yormark is going to work with Fox, and adding UConn becomes part of this deal.

“Our value creation must be done in a strategic way, and that value creation starts with ESPN and Fox,” Yormark explained. “We are taking an innovative approach exploring new TV windows and giving fans more access to our programming.”

Our ideas for “new TV windows” for the Big 12:
The Sunday of Labor Day weekend
The night before Thanksgiving
Sunday nights

Reaction Score
Note: Flugaur said this is how Yormark is going to placate Fox who is not in favor of UConn going to the Big 12. He said that Fox wants these games and Yormark is going to work with Fox, and adding UConn becomes part of this deal.

“Our value creation must be done in a strategic way, and that value creation starts with ESPN and Fox,” Yormark explained. “We are taking an innovative approach exploring new TV windows and giving fans more access to our programming.”

Our ideas for “new TV windows” for the Big 12:
The Sunday of Labor Day weekend
The night before Thanksgiving
Sunday nights

As long as there are no games on stupid Peacock. I almost want the conference change just because of that.

Reaction Score
“As one Big 12 source characterized the potential move, the league needs Yormark long-term. Appeasing the commissioner, for lack of better wording, in snagging the northeast member he desperately craves isn’t the worst thing in ensuring he sticks around for years to come.”
That’s exactly how the big12 should view yormark. They should be kissing his feet and it makes a lot more sense than the admins already being fed up with him less than a year after saving their assets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That tuition money is the bottom line, basically. If the AD wasn't charged for it, they'd be freeloading off other departments.
Are the other departments charged for the marketing/brand awareness that athletics bring? Are they charged a lobbyist fee because good athletic years tend to be followed by a generous legislature? If they aren't, and they aren't, are they "freeloading" off of the athletic department?

CL82

Reaction Score
As long as there are no games on stupid Peacock. I almost want the conference change just because of that.
Supposedly, any Peacock games are just going to be simultaneous broadcast of games on TNT. if that's the case, then I have no objection to it.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Conference co-champion (shared w/ WVU) in 2007. Conference co-champion (shared w/ WVU and Pitt) in 2010. Both during the reign of RE1. UConn never won an outright Big East Conference football championship.
What difference does it make that UConn was a conference co-champion? Colorado and Georgia Tech were football national co-champions in 1990, does that have any bearing on either being less of a champion? Honestly, it seems you come here to piss on and downplay UConn any chance you get.

Reaction Score
Honestly, it seems you come here to piss on and downplay UConn any chance you get.
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Reaction Score
Are the other departments charged for the marketing/brand awareness that athletics bring? Are they charged a lobbyist fee because good athletic years tend to be followed by a generous legislature? If they aren't, and they aren't, are they "freeloading" off of the athletic department?
Are you a sports franchise or a college?

Do you ever see NYU kids wearing NYU apparel? Yes. That must be because of their great basketball program. What about Yale? Ever see a Yale sweatshirt?

If you legislature only subsidizes education (and it's not enough anyway) when the basketball team wins, you've already lost the plot. It just means your school is sure to degrade.

By the way, applications are skyrocketing everywhere, at publics like Umass and Vermont, not just at UConn.

But I return to the first answer: are you an educational institution?

No one freeloads off the athletic department. It's the reverse of that 90% of the time (and that's a conservative estimate since there are only a handful of schools that are truly in the black).

We are long past the day when sports was the necessary attraction for students. Not now when non-sports schools are getting as many students and when state institutions have chopped the # of spots for state residents. We're at the end here.

Reaction Score
Exactly, everyone gets wrapped too tightly around the wheel of athletic department breakeven/profit without thinking of the bigger picture of how athletics is the front porch in terms of marketing, endowment growth, student recruitment, research grants, student quality of life, etc. Think of what UConn would be without an athletics department?!

CL82

Reaction Score

Do you ever see NYU kids wearing NYU apparel? Yes. That must be because of their great basketball program. What about Yale? Ever see a Yale sweatshirt?

If you legislature only subsidizes education (and it's not enough anyway) when the basketball team wins, you've already lost the plot. It just means your school is sure to degrade.

By the way, applications are skyrocketing everywhere, at publics like Umass and Vermont, not just at UConn.

No one freeloads off the athletic department. It's the reverse of that 90% of the time (and that's a conservative estimate since there are only a handful of schools that are truly in the black).

We are long past the day when sports was the necessary attraction for students. Not now when non-sports schools are getting as many students and when state institutions have chopped the # of spots for state residents. We're at the end here.
I thought we were talking about inter department chargebacks. Shouldn't they be consistent with everyone being charged for imputed benefits, or no one being charged?

As you frequently point out, universities are a business, yet somehow the academic side thinks that it should be entitled to the considerable marketing in lobbying benefits that it gets from the athletic department free of charge, while charging the athletic department artificially high deemed tuition costs. Does that seem disingenuous to you? You can't have it both ways, and have an intellectually consistent position.

Reaction Score
Supposedly, any Peacock games are just going to be simultaneous broadcast of games on TNT. if that's the case, then I have no objection to it.
Oh that's fine then. What's really annoyed if I had to get a peacock subscription to watch UConn games.

Reaction Score

Why is it that you're playing athletics off of academics? There's no reason to not be world class in both at the same time. We can walk and chew gum. And, we're doing it right now. :)

Reaction Score
Why is it that you're playing athletics off of academics? There's no reason to not be world class in both at the same time. We can walk and chew gum. And, we're doing it right now. :)
Not only are athletics being pitted against academics in today's world, but so are academics. University life today is a fight to the death.

Reaction Score
I thought we were talking about inter department chargebacks. Shouldn't they be consistent with everyone being charged for imputed benefits, or no one being charged?

As you frequently point out, universities are a business, yet somehow the academic side thinks that it should be entitled to the considerable marketing in lobbying benefits that it gets from the athletic department free of charge, while charging the athletic department artificially high deemed tuition costs. Does that seem disingenuous to you? You can't have it both ways, and have an intellectually consistent position.
What marketing?

Be specific.

I specifically answered a question about where the money goes.

All you talked about was an imputed benefit of marketing. How does the History department benefit from that marketing?

The athletic department is being charged for the true cost of each athlete. Nothing is artificially high about it. I can give countless examples to explain why it's not artificial. For instance, when departments count as majors a preponderance of kids who are in-state and (god forbid) have tuition defrayed by state tuition programs (like Excelsior in New York) those kids are held against the departments. The ones who are more in favor are those who have more majors for international students and sometimes those who enroll more out-of-staters (for whatever reason). So they're not only counting heads, but they are also paying attention to demographics. That's what running it as a business is all about. Kids aren't traveling from India to major in History.

Reaction Score
Why do so many of you hang your hats on UConn's rather modest football accomplishments, all of them in the ever-more-distant past? Do you really think such fleeting achievements assure future success? That's the mindset that ushered in the RE2 era. You'd better hope that the folks making the pitch to the B12 are more creative than that. Yormark may crave a basketball presence in the Northeast, and UConn has proved itself more than worthy in that regard, but he has to convince at least 12 members of the B12 and its media partners that UConn is also capable of quickly building a competitive football program in a more rigorous environment.

Reaction Score
Why do so many of you hang your hats on UConn's rather modest football accomplishments, all of them in the ever-more-distant past? Do you really think such fleeting achievements assure future success? That's the mindset that ushered in the RE2 era. You'd better hope that the folks making the pitch to the B12 are more creative than that. Yormark may crave a basketball presence in the Northeast, and UConn has proved itself more than worthy in that regard, but he has to convince at least 12 members of the B12 and its media partners that UConn is also capable of quickly building a competitive football program in a more rigorous environment.
Ehhh, shut up!

Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UConn football.

Reaction Score

Realistically, you are both a college and a sports franchise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom