Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 855 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Huge number of places with easy access to local roads.

The main campus site description “The University of Connecticut (UConn) is the State of Connecticut’s sole land-grant university. Situated on 3,100 acres in Storrs, CT, UConn’s flagship campus serves approximately 27,000 faculty, staff, and students working and living in 12 million sq. ft. of academic, residential, research, and administrative space within 370 buildings.” I don’t believe that most of the UConn Forest which consists of about 2,100 acres in several parcels in Mansfield, South Willington and Coventry is included in the Storrs campus 3,100 acres.

Reaction Score
It is amazing the time spent on something that has less than 0% chance of happening in the next decade.

An on-campus stadium requires:
1) The Rent is unusuable
2) The team is producing solid results on the field, and has some kind of road forward (eg, conference)

Once, and only after, those things are met, you probably have about a 20% political chance of getting the funding.

Reaction Score
it's the same with basketball, ultimate fair weather fan base.
Wow first for everything. I agree with you on something. Ask Scott Haney. Flurries in the forecast and fans won’t drive to Storrs. I remember driving in decent snow storms

Reaction Score
Wow first for everything. I agree with you on something. Ask Scott Haney. Flurries in the forecast and fans won’t drive to Storrs. I remember driving in decent snow storms
They'll drive in bad weather when the team is good. When the team is bad it can be sunny and 70 degrees and the tickets practically given away by the AD and the place will still be half empty.

Reaction Score
They'll drive in bad weather when the team is good. When the team is bad it can be sunny and 70 degrees and the tickets practically given away by the AD and the place will still be half empty.
So like any other sports fan?

Reaction Score
this fan base is worse.
Our fanbase is pretty average in this respect. It's just a culture thing and it's not worth reading much into it. If we were really bad then attendance in the AAC would have fallen off much harder than it did.

College sports are worshipped to a pretty unhealthy degree in parts of the country (the ones I assume you're comparing us to). It's not something you'd want to emulate.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You can’t even make a direct comparison to hoops playing games in Hartford as basketball at least also plays half their games on campus every year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do they have the space to build a stadium on the school campus?
Huge number of places with easy access to local roads.
I would say probably four leading places:
1. The athletic campus behind Toscano.
2. Off of Discovery Drive.
3. On or behind Horse Barn Hill, near the "UConn forest.
4. On the Mansfield Depot campus.

The one that makes the most sense to me is the athletic campus. There's plenty of room in the parking lots can provide parking for all of our athletic events including games at Gampel. When they built Toscano they did an environmental impact statement which shows no environmental issues. it is not on land that requires any approvals by Mansfield.

Horse Barn Hill is a visually significant part of campus. It isn't historic, as we found out when Pfizer proposed a co-venture with the university. If that were the only location on campus, I could think about it, but there's no need to put it there.

The depot campus really is slightly off-campus, or at least slightly off what most people think of is the campus. Again, if it were the only alternative it would be a viable one, but there are better choices.

Discovery Drive isn't a bad option and it has the easiest access on Route 44. That alone makes it worth considering, but I prefer having all the athletics in a single campus aesthetically and because it allows us to utilize things like the parking lot in more than one season. For what it's worth you could channel traffic one way on Hillside Road two get it from the athletic campus to Discovery Drive pretty easily.

Reaction Score
I would say probably four leading places:
1. The athletic campus behind Toscano.
2. Off of Discovery Drive.
3. On or behind Horse Barn Hill, near the "UConn forest.
4. On the Mansfield Depot campus.

The one that makes the most sense to me is the athletic campus. There's plenty of room in the parking lots can provide parking for all of our athletic events including games at Gampel. When they built Toscano they did an environmental impact statement which shows no environmental issues. it is not on land that requires any approvals by Mansfield.

Horse Barn Hill is a visually significant part of campus. It isn't historic, as we found out when Pfizer proposed a co-venture with the university. If that were the only location on campus, I could think about it, but there's no need to put it there.

The depot campus really is slightly off-campus, or at least slightly off what most people think of is the campus. Again, if it were the only alternative it would be a viable one, but there are better choices.

Discovery Drive isn't a bad option and it has the easiest access on Route 44. That alone makes it worth considering, but I prefer having all the athletics in a single campus aesthetically and because it allows us to utilize things like the parking lot in more than one season. For what it's worth you could channel traffic one way on Hillside Road two get it from the athletic campus to Discovery Drive pretty easily.
Best option is at EO Smith HS for an on campus stadium.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is amazing the time spent on something that has less than 0% chance of happening in the next decade.

An on-campus stadium requires:
1) The Rent is unusuable
2) The team is producing solid results on the field, and has some kind of road forward (eg, conference)

Once, and only after, those things are met, you probably have about a 20% political chance of getting the funding.
I don't think it requires that the Rent be unusable, but it probably needs for the facility to need at least 100 million in renovations for it to be considered.

Absolutely agree that a historically bad football team doesn't make a compelling argument for investment of hundreds of millions of dollars.

I disagree about the political likelihood of a stadium being built assuming the first two things happen though. There have been murmurings of support for the project lately in Hartford. If we had a P* opportunity that required an on-campus stadium, I have no doubt that it would happen.

CL82

Reaction Score
Best option is at EO Smith HS for an on campus stadium.
That would be a cool option. I'm not sure that it's big enough, but I've never looked at it with that in mind. Keep in mind though that the university wanted to use that site for the hockey rink and offered to build a brand new high school on the Mansfield depot campus. Amazingly Mansfield turned that down.

Reaction Score
That would be a cool option. I'm not sure that it's big enough, but I've never looked at it with that in mind. Keep in mind though that the university wanted to use that site for the hockey rink and offered to build a brand new high school on the Mansfield depot campus. Amazingly Mansfield turned that down.
Mansfield doesn't know what's good for themselves. The town has held back the school for it's entire history.

CL82

Reaction Score
Mansfield doesn't know what's good for themselves. The town has held back the school for it's entire history.
It is what it is. Fortunately, we don't need approvals from Mansfield to build on the athletic campus. I'm not sure about other sites but I would guess that we would need approval on the depot campus.

CL82

Reaction Score
For what it's worth these are three of the four sites that I mentioned:
1717605544595.jpeg

Reaction Score
The Rent was pretty awesome at it's peak from 2007-2011 and that's coming from someone that was making the bus trip. The atmosphere in and outside the stadium was fantastic for students, alums, and fans.

The only negatives were 1) the bus ride itself was a time suck for students, but the student section was still full anyway so hardly a negative other than people's time, but 2) because of the bus, students left after the 3rd quarter most of the time to get back to campus and beat the bus line.

The problems are obvious and have already been stated here: the team needs to win, and not just win, but be good, which hasn't been the case in 13 years, and beat recognizable opponents (separate discussion that's been litigated 1,000x).

Secondarily, though, student habits around sports are not the same as they were a decade ago or even 5 years ago. Even if the team was just pretty good, I question how likely they'd actually go into the stadium.

I'm not going to act like I know the modern student that well, but anecdotally it feels like today's class of students at UConn are more studious and choosy of how to spend their time. "Why spend 6 hours in East Hartford to watch a 7-5 football team, when I can just spend 3 hours in a parking lot partying then go home." Then the supposed shutting down of much student tailgating post COVID doesn't help the situation either and further dissuades students from making the trip at all.

Anyway this is much ado about nothing in my opinion since I do not see a world where a stadium is built on campus unless something dramatically shifts and I'd give it like a <5% chance.

It took UConn Men's Basketball winning not 1, but 2 national championships back to back for the State and Athletic Department to get serious about renovating Gampel and I'm still unsure how substantial the changes will be. That's the type of mountain you are talking about climbing here.

Reaction Score
If we had a P* opportunity that required an on-campus stadium, I have no doubt that it would happen.

And if I had a ham sandwich, I'd have a ham sandwich.

CL82

Reaction Score
And if I had a ham sandwich, I'd have a ham sandwich.
Well, it's good that you are a hungry husky, I guess. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And that is part of the reason why when the team isn't doing well, attendance drops off dramatically. There is no attachment to the stadium, the team and the college experience. There is no going back to the ole stomping grounds.
After the Baylor game, I read a Baylor beat guy say our student section was "the equal of any in the Big 12". All this "losing the college atmosphere" is just more piffle. The place was rocking when we were in the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom