Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 581 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
At some point, you can dangle whatever amount of money you want and you will still be shut off from some candidates who do not want to work outside of the power conferences. That’s just the reality of where college sports are going - the Big East will not be magically protected from it. (I think the next television negotiation will be the first wake up call.)

Football will become increasingly untenable. We exist outside of the CFP structure and while everyone will see some windfall from it, we will not.
You think the NCAA tournament is going away? You think the NCAA tournament will shrink? You think all these schools who win the NCAA tournament will no longer be a part of it and will no longer be able to schedule with other good programs? You think the Big East will disappear?

Reaction Score
If that’s the plan, I promise that it will not happen. We’re not going to maintain this level for the next decade and a half with costs increasing and the primary source of athletic revenue for every P5 school providing us with >$5m per year.
Ya but I seem to remember you said the same thing nearly 10 years ago. Maybe I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
You think the NCAA tournament is going away? You think the NCAA tournament will shrink? You think all these schools who win the NCAA tournament will no longer be a part of it and will no longer be able to schedule with other good programs? You think the Big East will disappear?
He thinks that we are dangerously close to the Big East not being able to pay coaches, among other things. He’s right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He thinks that we are dangerously close to the Big East not being able to pay coaches among other things. He’s right.
I want to know where he stands. We had this same discussion about the AAC and Big East 10 years ago and he was wildly wrong.

I don't remember where you stood. Were you a part of the crew saying the AAC was better than the Big East and the Big East was done?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Here is my issue of UConn being sleighted again….why is the big 12 taking four schools (Utah, Arizona, ASU, BYU) to get into two markets?

It’s just inane when you think about diversity and breaking into new markets.
Seems like if you want Arizona, lil bro is the price for them. Utah is just good at football.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In another 20 years when the era where we were good at football is 30 years in the past we’ll get picked up as that’s what seems to be the biggest draw in CR

Reaction Score
Ya but I seem to remember you said the same thing nearly 10 years ago. Maybe I’m wrong.
10 years ago UConn wasn't running a $50m deficit.

And before people jump in to tell us that the state continues to finance that deficit, tell me why the state isn't defraying the skyrocketing tuition?

As UConn increasingly comes under pressure at the top end (rising tuition) it's going to find it very difficult to maintain that huge deficit. People look at the $B budget and think $50m doesn't matter, but they don't realize most of that budget is spoken for, it's not fungible, it leaves the colleges little wiggle room. If I had to guess the College of Arts & Sciences runs on much much less than $50m.

Reaction Score
Story about Fox destroying the Pac 12.

Canzano: TV picking apart college football

JOHN CANZANO
AUG 2, 2023

The Pac-12 is in trouble.

The conference has made some strategic errors, blown the messaging and overplayed its hand. But it still has a line of wonderful schools, excellent brands, good media markets and talented college football teams.

So why is TV reluctant to buy it?

Well, in part, because it doesn’t have to — as long as it can destroy the conference and pick apart the carcass. Fox didn’t need to make a big bid on the Pac-12’s rights. Not after it captured the Los Angeles TV market and 5.7 million television homes when USC and UCLA defected for the Big Ten. Then, last week Fox grabbed Denver via the Big 12’s acquisition of Colorado.

What’s today’s target?

Phoenix, of course.

Then, maybe the Bay Area, Seattle and Portland. On Wednesday, the Big Ten Conference presidents reportedly opened preliminary talks to explore additional expansion. They may decide to add Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal. It’s early there. They’re just exploring. But it’s a full-on chess game now, being played by a merry band of pirates.

One of the remaining “Four Corners” athletic directors confessed a few days ago that the negotiating landscape was difficult. He believed Arizona, ASU and Utah wanted to stick together, see commissioner George Kliavkoff’s presentation, and ideally remain in the Pac-12.

What were the threats?

Peers from other conferences trying to “take the league,” he said.

TV executives trying to “own it all,” he offered.

A “major influence” from one TV group, in particular, he noted.

What TV group exactly?

“Fox,” he said.

Did the conference and its consultants piss off Fox by asking for $50 million per school in the early part of the negotiation? Or when it asked Fox’s remote broadcast crews to show up on site to football games? Should the Pac-12 have just taken the network’s first offer and kept quiet because the alternative literally meant an existential reckoning? Are there some antitrust issues that lawmakers should unpack?

Full story is here:

No empathy. Nobody cared when Big East was falling apart.
Interestingly, it was Big East that offered Big 12 schools an out when their world was upending about 10-15 years ago

Reaction Score
No empathy. Nobody cared when Big East was falling apart.
Interestingly, it was Big East that offered Big 12 schools an out when their world was upending about 10-15 years ago
Would have happened if Cuse and Pitt didn’t leave.

I think the Texas and Oklahoma to Pac-12 would have led to that union.

Reaction Score
I want to know where he stands. We had this same discussion about the AAC and Big East 10 years ago and he was wildly wrong.

I don't remember where you stood. Were you a part of the crew saying the AAC was better than the Big East and the Big East was done?
Honestly, I don’t remember where I stood exactly. I’m a big football fan, so I remember being more concerned with our football issues and hiring the right coach than I was about the conference.

I love the Big East and was ecstatic to go back. I also prefer an Indy football schedule to an AAC schedule. However, I was one of the first, if not the first, to point out that we were dangerously close to a time when we wouldn’t be able to keep a coach from a P5 school if they wanted him. I’ve always felt we need to get in a power conference not just for football, but for basketball long term. I don’t see the Big East thriving forever.

Reaction Score
10 years ago UConn wasn't running a $50m deficit.

And before people jump in to tell us that the state continues to finance that deficit, tell me why the state isn't defraying the skyrocketing tuition?

As UConn increasingly comes under pressure at the top end (rising tuition) it's going to find it very difficult to maintain that huge deficit. People look at the $B budget and think $50m doesn't matter, but they don't realize most of that budget is spoken for, it's not fungible, it leaves the colleges little wiggle room. If I had to guess the College of Arts & Sciences runs on much much less than $50m.
I don’t disagree with any of this. But it was preached 10 years ago and here we are, still winning.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I get that the school athletic department is hemorrhaging money, but being a public school helps buffer those losses considerably compared to private institutions due to state provided funding. Most, if not all, college athletic programs operate in the red on an annual basis. I know money rules & a P5 (soon to be P2) invite would be great, but it’s not like the big east has been a bust for us. I’m still on cloud 9 after banner number 5 & regardless of which conference we’re in, basketball is set to thrive.

I’m a big football fan & think Mora has done a great job. Keep winning & things will always work themselves out. Just my two cents.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I sincerely hope you live another 60+ years. You won't see a single Cincinnati championship just like the previous 60+ years but I hope you live to be the oldest human ever.
same to you my friend.

maybe in 60+ years uconn will finally able to get an invite from a relevant conference. would love for you to be able to see it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What if the Px breaks away from the ncaa? Have you considered the consequences of being outside looking in?

This much is obvious.

By sheer numbers there wouldn't be enough tournament teams to run a bracket with just teams from the SEC, B1G, ACC, and Big12.

I mean, really a first round matchup 1 v 16 seed of Kansas vs a 10-22 Georgia Tech?

I think you at least need the mid majors to put together something that makes sense.

Reaction Score
And does what? Run a tournament most of the country won't care about?

do you think most of the country will blow off a national championship consisting of the top 60 to 80 programs in the country? Please! Think CFB where Less than 10% of the schools are Px. You may not care at that point because your school is shut out, but it will be a national event. They can probably afford to buy the March Madness branding.

If you were a top 250 player, which tier which you like to play for? Remember NIL opps.

Reaction Score
do you think most of the country will blow off a national championship consisting of the top 60 to 80 programs in the country? Please! Think CFB where Less than 10% of the schools are Px. You may not care at that point because your school is shut out, but it will be a national event, They can probably afford to but the March Madness branding.

If you were a top 250 player, which tier which yiu like to play for?
I think it would be an absolute disaster and I don't think they're dumb enough to try it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom