Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 510 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
We definitely should not take any reduced rates. We might offer to play some home games at the Yankee stadium or Foxboro against B12 teams, but we should not take any reduced rates. This will help the B12 with exposure, and also help build UCONN brand in those areas.
I've never understood pro-rata as if its the conference's money and not the TV people's money. Maybe it is the conferences money? There's some disconnect there. Maybe the conference gets the difference? I'm a little confused by the idea that the conference makes the call to downrate UConn's financial worth. I can see where a conference would want to inflict that on somebody you don't trust but if you don't trust them you don't ever trust them. Unless the remainder goes the conference and thus the other schools I don't get it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wonder If the B12 presidents trust Yormark enough to do something out of their comfort zone. He might be our hero if this goes through.

Reaction Score
I've never understood pro-rata as if its the conference's money and not the TV people's money. Maybe it is the conferences money? There's some disconnect there. Maybe the conference gets the difference? I'm a little confused by the idea that the conference makes the call to downrate UConn's financial worth. I can see where a conference would want to inflict that on somebody you don't trust but if you don't trust them you don't ever trust them. Unless the remainder goes the conference and thus the other schools I don't get it.
Think of it as a buy-in. The conference members built the conference into what it is. Just as pro leagues take franchise fees.

Heck, UConn did this to members who wanted to join the BE.

UConn personally profited from TCU joining the BE without ever playing. TCU gave the BE $5m for that whole thing, and UConn got its cut.

Reaction Score
So we’re all in agreement that we’re going to get shafted again, right?
Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
UConn would be the only school in the NCAA so far that agrees to a permanent reduced rate. The only one. It would put them behind their conference brethren in terms of support.

Now, this might be a model for the future, but it's a horrible situation to put yourself there before any other school, to say the least

I can see entire conferences agreeing to differentials, but not just one school.
B12 - “UConn, you’re not investing enough resources in football so we’re going to give you less money (resources) than all of our other members but also you guys need to catch up.

That makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score
Lol. The Big 12 is not taking Oregon State.
Exactly, Nice rumor started by an Oregon State website out here. There are about 11th on the pac-12 pecking order ahead of Washington State. Breathe easy people.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Now we need the pac-12 to bring in oodles of dollars or fall apart so hard that we join with 2 other p12 schools as Oregon etc are poached by the Big 10.

Lucy has set the football. Kick her head off, Charlie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know how else to say it when I already said it isn't a rule, but you keep on saying I'm saying it is a rule. This then becomes a really weird discussion.

I think I already made my point about the conference networks and the delayed full share. Penn State got a delayed full share decades before the network even existed. In BCs case, they got a delayed share 16 years before the ACCN came into being. So the regular or normal occurrence of these delayed shares happened long before the advent of conference TV networks.
So wherever in my post you see the word "rule" in my post feel free to read it as "establish practiced or normal occurrence."

Hope that helped.

Last edited:

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
I personally would take a reduced rate, we'd likely be making 4x what we do in the Big East, and we basically make nothing on football with our CBS sports deal, the resources we could pump into every sport immediately with that type of money basketball already owns the Big 12 making significantly less, and it's not like it's a permanent thing never is, if that's what it takes to join the conference I'm down.

Reaction Score
B12 - “UConn, you’re not investing enough resources in football so we’re going to give you less money (resources) than all of our other members but also you guys need to catch up.

That makes perfect sense.
You forgot the part where the B12 say to themselves (“here’s extra money since we are lowballing UConn, spend it wisely. [chuckling] Lol, kidding, we’re going to Vegas for our next president meeting”).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I personally would take a reduced rate, we'd likely be making 4x what we do in the Big East, and we basically make nothing on football with our CBS sports deal, the resources we could pump into every sport immediately with that type of money basketball already owns the Big 12 making significantly less, and it's not like it's a permanent thing never is, if that's what it takes to join the conference I'm down.

It depends how reduced, and for how long. You have to factor in that we would be immediately forfeiting our NCAA shares to the Big East and would owe them a fee for leaving. Add in the extra travel costs and all of a sudden it might not be all that much extra money.

It would probably still be worth it, but if it only ends up being ~$5 million more per year and puts us in a league that everyone knows isn't a great cultural fit, it's something to think about long and hard if it's worth it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
They want Utah? When they have BYU? Are we serious here?

It's Arizona/Arizona State. And they may come as a package (which would actually be reasonable—double the people).

Mind you, Utah has fewer people living in it than CT...
I really don’t see how Utah is more valuable than Connecticut? It’s a head scratcher to me.

Reaction Score
I really don’t see how Utah is more valuable than Connecticut? It’s a head scratcher to me.
You don't know how a top 10 Utah football team is more valuable than a top 100 (in a good year) UConn football team?

Reaction Score

Many if not most of the southern/midwest fans only care about football. If the PAC implodes we desperately need Yormark to save us a seat at the table. He's our Obi Wan Kenobi AKA our only hope.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because it's probably the 3rd best football program in the PAC as it is right now. Maybe 2nd. Utah consistently wins. Basketball used to be good too. Do people not remember Rick Majerus?

That said, I don't think they'd move. They have a good opportunity to get Utah State into the PAC.

Reaction Score
Because it's probably the 3rd best football program in the PAC as it is right now. Maybe 2nd. Utah consistently wins. Basketball used to be good too. Do people not remember Rick Majerus?

That said, I don't think they'd move. They have a good opportunity to get Utah State into the PAC.
Utah was good at basketball in the 1990s. Cool.

I know they have a good football program. While everyone says "football drives the bus," it's obviously more complicated than this. Rutgers and Maryland, for instance, are not football powerhouses. Good markets with fanbases is first and foremost. Football matters more than other sports, but I don't understand why a conference would doubledown on a state with a small population.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom