Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 455 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The most important sport at uconn is basketball… we are very successful now in the big east… thats a given… its not if we join the big I don’t see why they wouldn’t be successful in big 12.

Reaction Score
The guy on the right is probably a Yarder or at least reads the board. We seem to be the only people that know anything about realignment as it pertains to UConn.

Reaction Score

If that's true, and not wishful thinking on the part of WSU, nobody is leaving the PAC 12 this year. Under this scenario, probably the only way UConn would get an invite this year is if the Big 12 was able to grab SDSU before the end of the month.

Reaction Score
If that's true, and not wishful thinking on the part of WSU, nobody is leaving the PAC 12 this year. Under this scenario, probably the only way UConn would get an invite this year is if the Big 12 was able to grab SDSU before the end of the month.
So you think without CU and/or AZ they pause expansion for now?

Reaction Score
I doubt Hurley stays if we join the big 12…we will be a northeastern school recruiting in a southern league
Really, I didn't know Arizona was a Northeastern state. His brother grew up in the northeast, so your reasoning is off...

Reaction Score
So you think without CU and/or AZ they pause expansion for now?
I don't see how the B12 can't grab SDSU. It seems like the B12 is the better long term home and the SDSU couldn't risk missing out on a B12 invite just to wait around for the PAC offer and payout numbers.

Reaction Score
Even if this is the case, and it is highly likely it will be if by some miracle PAC-12 ended up with a deal similar to B12, I still believe it would be crazy for the B12 not to expand.

For one, just being 12 is dangerous. B12 should still grab UConn and one of the Western schools. They can also just add UConn to make it 13. There is strength in numbers, and they should expand especially if TV partners willing to pay the same share for UConn as current schools.

Reaction Score
Even if this is the case, and it is highly likely it will be if by some miracle PAC-12 ended up with a deal similar to B12, I still believe it would be crazy for the B12 not to expand.

For one, just being 12 is dangerous. B12 should still grab UConn and one of the Western schools. They can also just add UConn to make it 13. There is strength in numbers, and they should expand especially if TV partners willing to pay the same share for UConn as current schools.
Aw, the bargaining stage in play

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Absent his self-disclosed honesty, which Boneyard contributor?
It was a channel 8 panel with four panelists. Each one gave their take on expansion. When the discussion leader asked one of the four for his opinion he said something like "I told you before I don't know anything about sports." That was it and then they moved on to someone else.

Reaction Score
It was a channel 8 panel with four panelists. Each one gave their take on expansion. When the discussion leader asked one of the four for his opinion he said something like "I told you before I don't know anything about sports." That was it and then they moved on to someone else.
Whoosh, no kidding.

Reaction Score
I don't see how the B12 can't grab SDSU. It seems like the B12 is the better long term home and the SDSU couldn't risk missing out on a B12 invite just to wait around for the PAC offer and payout numbers.
SDSU gets its student body overwhelmingly from CA and Pac 12 territory, and will continue to. There is a huge, huge benefit in terms of recruiting students by playing in the Pac and not the Big XII regardless of athletic department cash. They would take less money to join the Pac. However, if they think the Pac will be dissolving in a few years anyway, that would change the equation.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
SDSU gets its student body overwhelmingly from CA and Pac 12 territory, and will continue to. There is a huge, huge benefit in terms of recruiting students by playing in the Pac and not the Big XII regardless of athletic department cash. They would take less money to join the Pac. However, if they think the Pac will be dissolving in a few years anyway, that would change the equation.

I'm not so sure that is true in a Pac12 without UCLA and USC. Being in the big 12 and getting better visibility in sports I think would expand their reach more than the occasional game with Stanford and Cal.

Reaction Score
That makes sense, but passing up a B12 offer in hopes of a good offer from the PAC down the road seems kind of crazy. I would think the kids being recruited to SDSU would be happy to play in the B12, just like UConn recruits would.

Reaction Score
That makes sense, but passing up a B12 offer in hopes of a good offer from the PAC down the road seems kind of crazy. I would think the kids being recruited to SDSU would be happy to play in the B12, just like UConn recruits would.
I didn't talk about passing up a bird in the hand for two in the bush. Just that if it has a choice, SDSU would for reasons having nothing to do with athletics far prefer to be in the Pac.

Reaction Score
I didn't talk about passing up a bird in the hand for two in the bush. Just that if it has a choice, SDSU would for reasons having nothing to do with athletics far prefer to be in the Pac.
Why does anything else matter for an athletic conference/association? I don't really understand this logic. Fox and ESPN aren't going to pay an athletic conference more money because of how big its members' libraries are or how many PhDs it cranks out.

Reaction Score

This is correct. This is on top of the fact that PAC-12 has far better academic schools vs. the Big 12. If UCONN is on the West Coast, we would be an excellent fit for the PAC-12. In CA, UC schools (UCLA, UC Berkley etc.) are top tier, while schools like SDSU are the next. It will be a hit on several current PAC-12 schools' egos if they accept SDSU into the conference. For survival purposes, it would be crazy for the PAC-12 to let B12 take SDSU. At some point, the current PAC-12 schools might have to consider schools like Boise St just for survival.

I am pretty sure SDSU would prefer PAC-12 over Big-12 if they had choices. If there is no PAC-12 offer, they will take the Big 12 offer.

Reaction Score
Why does anything else matter for an athletic conference/association? I don't really understand this logic. Fox and ESPN aren't going to pay an athletic conference more money because of how big its members' libraries are or how many PhDs it cranks out.
What do you think is more important to a school, academics or athletics?

At the end of the day, athletics is just marketing to prospective students. If a school gets the vast majority of their student body from a region in the country, they are going to want to market themselves the most in that region, if they can.

Reaction Score
The guy on the right on that panel gets and understands it. He should be urged to talk more.
The guy on the right is Stewart McKinney, former US rep from CT, and he gets it totally. The woman to his right (viewers' left), is Liz Kantrowiscz and she is not buying it saying that there isn't a big enough base of support for bigtime UConn football. She is putting up all the timeworn arguments for staying in the NBE which to my mind are rebuttable one by one.

Reaction Score
The guy on the right is Stewart McKinney, former US rep from CT, and he gets it totally. The woman to his right (viewers' left), is Liz Kantrowiscz and she is not buying it saying that there isn't a big enough base of support for bigtime UConn football. She is putting up all the timeworn arguments for staying in the NBE which to my mind are rebuttable one by one.
Stewart McKinney died of AIDS 40 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom