Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 390 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
In the short term, ironically, it would make the most sense for the ACCN to partner with the Big East for content as it would get the ACCN with home state pricing in Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, DC/Maryland, Philadelphia, Chicago, Ohio, Milwaukee,...
Xavier isn't getting the ACCN in Ohio. Even Cincinnati couldn't do that. Ohio is all Ohio State. Fans of the other schools all went to school there, and even those fans are often double fans - fans of their home school and fans of Ohio State.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
College sports are moving to conference networks and streaming. When the cable bundle ends or becomes less relevant in the future, conference networks will be looking for content and brands to attract customers to buy their channel. It would not surprise me if the BTN and SECN look towards other conference for content.

In the short term, ironically, it would make the most sense for the ACCN to partner with the Big East for content as it would get the ACCN with home state pricing in Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, DC/Maryland, Philadelphia, Chicago, Ohio, Milwaukee,...

I've been saying this for a while. B1G and SEC are going to get other conferences to align with their media deals so those services have content beyond B1G and SEC. It also allows for easier non-conference scheduling.

Used to be conference prestige was linked to the media who broadcast conference games. So, it was a big deal to say games were on CBS or ESPN.

Now, media outlets want to use conferences to bolster their service. So, FOX can say they are a B1G content provider. ESPN can say they are an SEC content provider.

In terms of brand power the conference is now more prestigious than the media outlets.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been saying this for a while. B1G and SEC are going to get other conferences to align with their media deals so those services have content beyond B1G and SEC. It also allows for easier non-conference scheduling.

Used to be conference prestige was linked to the media who broadcast conference games. So, it was a big deal to say games were on CBS or ESPN.

Now, media outlets want to use conferences to bolster their service. So, FOX can say they are a B1G content provider. ESPN can say they are an SEC content provider.

In terms of brand power the conference is now more prestigious than the media outlets.
I understand what you’re saying, but I think it’s somewhat problematic. I think the goal is to get an optimally sized conference that allows you to fill the time slots in your media deal. If you start bringing in “associate members“ or contracting to fill those time slots with programs outside of your conference there will be dissent due to lost visibility. We are already hearing a little bit of blowback from big 10 members who take the very reasonable position that they don’t want to add anyone who dilutes value. Diluting visibility would be a similar concern.

To me, the flaw in the mega-conference theory is that at some point when a conference gets large enough, it stops feeling like a conference. I am reminded of the line from The Incredibles “when everyone is super, no one is.“ At some point when you get large enough, there’s stops being a cachet and stops having a shared sense of purpose.

Reaction Score
I understand what you’re saying, but I think it’s somewhat problematic. I think the goal is to get an optimally sized conference that allows you to fill the time slots in your media deal. If you start bringing in “associate members“ or contracting to fill those time slots with programs outside of your conference there will be dissent due to lost visibility. We are already hearing a little bit of blowback from big 10 members who take the very reasonable position that they don’t want to add anyone who dilutes value. Diluting visibility would be a similar concern.

To me, the flaw in the mega-conference theory is that at some point when a conference gets large enough, it stops feeling like a conference. I am reminded of the line from The Incredibles “when everyone is super, no one is.“ At some point when you get large enough, there’s stops being a cachet and stops having a shared sense of purpose.
I have said many times this grand experiment will fail. Just look at business history. Yes, these schools will make a boatload of money and perhaps that is all that matters. But in the end the best case is a return to smaller regional conferences and worst case the destruction of college Athletics. Good legacy for these folks

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have said many times this grand experiment will fail. Just look at business history. Yes, these schools will make a boatload of money and perhaps that is all that matters. But in the end the best case is a return to smaller regional conferences and worst case the destruction of college Athletics. Good legacy for these folks
I’m not so sure it would fail, and if it ultimately does it will be after making people billions of dollars. Is that a failure? I don’t know.

Nothing last forever and this current drift towards make a conferences won’t either. I suspect, though, whatever comes out of it those who are sitting at the big boy table now may well have a big enough lead in facilities and tradition that they are well positioned for whatever comes next.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

My personal opinion is it’s about consolidating the major players and making those at the table more visible. We have seen this happen before when the divisions were set up and again when D1 football was split. It’s taking the top brands and their Tagalongs (you know who they are) and elevating them above the rest. Once you get the P2 set, you can break apart the conferences into divisions (like the NFL) and find a way to get a little parity between the big dogs. Will it work? Don’t know, but that’s the way life is nowadays, the powerful doing what they can to protect and expand what they have.

Reaction Score
My personal opinion is it’s about consolidating the major players and making those at the table more visible. We have seen this happen before when the divisions were set up and again when D1 football was split. It’s taking the top brands and their Tagalongs (you know who they are) and elevating them above the rest. Once you get the P2 set, you can break apart the conferences into divisions (like the NFL) and find a way to get a little parity between the big dogs. Will it work? Don’t know, but that’s the way life is nowadays, the powerful doing what they can to protect and expand what they have.
The problem is markets and where people turn after they refuse to buy into the streaming services. Big boy fans such as you might pay for Iowa/Rutgers, but many of us will have nothing to do with the cartel and will find other interests in life to spend our time and money on best of luck to your AOL/Time Warner experiment

Reaction Score
Clemson, Utah, Baylor, Oregon, Okie State, NC State, Miami (Fla), Pitt, Wake, Cinci, Houston, BYU, Fresno State, UCF, Kansas State, UNC, Boise State, Air Force, App State, SDSU, Utah State

Who are 21 programs who finished ranked or ORV in 2021 which will be relegated per B1G and SEC brass. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Clemson, Utah, Baylor, Oregon, Okie State, NC State, Miami (Fla), Pitt, Wake, Cinci, Houston, BYU, Fresno State, UCF, Kansas State, UNC, Boise State, Air Force, App State, SDSU, Utah State

Who are 21 programs who finished ranked or ORV in 2021 which will be relegated per B1G and SEC brass. Ridiculous.
Not all of them will be relegated. The P2 will pick off the most valuable names on that list. If they want to expand it's going to have to be from the Pac12, Big XII, and ACC because it doesn't appear that they're interested in G-5/mid-major schools. There will be schools that get screwed of course, but we know all about that don't we?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It will be more for basketball and other Olympic sports where you need to do more regional scheduling.

IMO you will see way more BE and B1G scheduling going forward than BE and ACC or SEC.

The mega conferences will each have their own mini tournaments leading in to a national championship between B1G aligned schools and SEC aligned schools. And yes those mini tourneys will be rigged to give the B1G and SEC schools best chance of winning. This isn't a merger, it's an acquisition. Either you get aligned with B1G or SEC or you perish.

Reaction Score
In fiscal year 2019-20, the ACC distributed $496.7 million. That number jumped to $578.3 million in 2020-21 -- an increase of $81.6 million! Now, while we don't have enough information to calculate everything that went into that $81.6 million, we do have quite a bit.

Analysis of ACC payouts...

Reaction Score
In fiscal year 2019-20, the ACC distributed $496.7 million. That number jumped to $578.3 million in 2020-21 -- an increase of $81.6 million! Now, while we don't have enough information to calculate everything that went into that $81.6 million, we do have quite a bit.

Analysis of ACC payouts...

I’m not sure what you are trying to point out - are you saying that Murphy’s tweet on UNC revenue is inaccurate (the blog article you attached is from May)?

Reaction Score
McMurphy's tweet may not be the total picture...he seems to be using UNC..and there may be a gap between total and media revenue.

The ACC brought in about $84 million in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2001, distributing almost $8 million to each of its then-nine league members. Twenty years later, the league reported making $578.3 million in revenue during the 2020-21 fiscal year and distributed an average of $36.1 million to its 15 members, which included Notre Dame as a full member during the pandemic football season of 2020.

Reaction Score
McMurphy's tweet may not be the total picture...he seems to be using UNC..and there may be a gap between total and media revenue.
It’s Brian Murphy…

… I guess the bigger point to the tweet by Mandel is that the new B1G contract will be paying their schools $72m +/- versus the ACC $36m +/- (30.1m in UNC case).

Reaction Score

"Cuz, you know. Your two most valuable programs came to us first. We had no choice but to take them. Maybe mo...I mean, no hard feelings, right?"

Reaction Score
Apparently, the SEC is directing UGa and Tennessee to cancel their upcoming non- conf games with OU, each of which predates OUs planned entry into the league. Could the planned ‘25 expansion be on a faster track? :rolleyes:

(AD David Benedict can we get Tennessee game for 24?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom