Kevin Ollie news(non Uconn and non legal matter). | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie news(non Uconn and non legal matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is quite a reach.
I’m not say he will. I’m saying I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen.
oh, plenty of normal doctors get busted for insurance fraud! When I first got into pharma, my company settled with the OIG for teaching oncologists how to bill Medicare for infusing sample drug (meaning free).

Reaction Score
Also, he skirted the right way to do things and lied about it when investigated. This could be tempting, it’s all I’m saying.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well, there are probably less than 30 coaches with a title, and he is one of them. Someone would take a chance. Of course looking back, it appears he lost interest and while he wanted his job, his performance made many gave up.

Not for incurring penalties, which is what I was talking about. I don't think anybody's taking recruiting sanctions, suspension, and being banned from the post season for a year or so just to hire KO. Better off to wait until he's cleared.

People saw his record. They weren't blind to what went on at the end there.

I think he'd have to prove himself at a lower school, once his show cause was over.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Because you can get insurance companies to cover acupuncture treatments. So suddenly he’s filing false claims... god forbid some of them are Medicare. Big, big Federal crimes. Investigated by the Department of Justice and the Office of the Inspector General.
Many of these run totally clean shops. But it’s way too tempting, especially if you feel like you’ve lost money or had to give money to people. It takes awhile to prove, too.

I'm pretty sure KO, with all the current legal issues, is not trying to seriously break the law in anyway. He had his failings here, but he isn't a complete bum.

Reaction Score
The Kevin Ollie saga is one of, if not the saddest, in the history of the school. From one of the most beloved players to ever put on a Uconn uniform to someone who people are taking sides over is depressing. It has evolved to "A pox on all their houses" situation.

Reaction Score
And yet, every single school in the country (but like 10 of them) would hire him instantly. It is exactly what makes my example. People mostly don't care what you have done if you are good.
Is that why Rick Pitino hasn't gotten another coaching job in college basketball yet?
(Edit: I saw your follow up post. And I agree. He will get another chance at some point. But you said Ollie would get hired "in an instant". If Pitino wasn't hired in an instant, I doubt Ollie would.)

I wonder why Clyde Vaughn never got a second chance? He was good at what he did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Kevin Ollie saga is one of, if not the saddest, in the history of the school. From one of the most beloved players to ever put on a Uconn uniform to someone who people are taking sides over is depressing. It has evolved to "A pox on all their houses" situation.
One of the most beloved players to ever put on a UConn uniform???????

Reaction Score
One of the most beloved players to ever put on a UConn uniform???????
Yes for those of us who watched him play. Why do you think guys like Ray think so highly of him. Grow up - his coaching deficiencies shouldn't affect how fans think of him as a player who represented this University very well over his NBA career.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So you see Ollie working on the medical billing part of this company?
Come on!

Reaction Score
Yes for those of us who watched him play. Why do you think guys like Ray think so highly of him. Grow up - his coaching deficiencies shouldn't affect how fans think of him as a player who represented this University very well over his NBA career.

Please, just stop. There are SO many more beloved players based on their playing careers. Ollie was a decent player on some very good teams. Nothing more. He was not a star despite your attempt at revisionist history. He averaged 6.7 points, 5 assists and 2 rebounds during his time at UConn. I really don't see how that translates to "one of the most beloved players to ever put on a UConn uniform" .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please, just stop. There are SO many more beloved players based on their playing careers. Ollie was a decent player on some very good teams. Nothing more. He was not a star despite your attempt at revisionist history. He averaged 6.7 points, 5 assists and 2 rebounds during his time at UConn. I really don't see how that translates to "one of the most beloved players to ever put on a UConn uniform" .
Agree to disagree

pj

Reaction Score
I wonder why Clyde Vaughn never got a second chance? He was good at what he did.

Clyde deserved a second chance more than Ollie does. I also wonder why he never got one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is that why Rick Pitino hasn't gotten another coaching job in college basketball yet?
(Edit: I saw your follow up post. And I agree. He will get another chance at some point. But you said Ollie would get hired "in an instant". If Pitino wasn't hired in an instant, I doubt Ollie would.)

Unless I made a mistype somewhere, I said Ollie would NOT get hired. The poster I quoted referenced my Tom Izzo example, and I said that Tom would get hired in an instant.

There's always extremes of course. If you murder somebody, you'll have a tough time getting a gig. Pitino simply had too many strikes, and his last blow up was a bridge too far to sell to the public. And people still kicked the tires on him. He still might get hired too.

RE Clyde: I think it's different for assistants. You don't have a win/loss record to fall back on to justify a hire. I do think he was done wrong there tho.

Pat Sellers is still digging himself out of the hole from being UConn's sacrificial lamb a while back.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So we have our answer, he went batty.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Pro sports teams wouldn't have a problem with this side of it. They are fully aware of the business aspect of the sport. This is pure business and basically run by lawyers.

Unless some great shift happens for him, I don't think he's ever coach college again. He's allergic to the recruiting trail.

Forget college - unless he wants to coach at a place like Cal State Northridge in a few years, that ship has sailed.

The NBA clearly hasn’t been calling either, unless you want to believe that his current ambition is putting his name on an acupuncture business.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The NBA clearly hasn’t been calling either, unless you want to believe that his current ambition is putting his name on an acupuncture business.

Was just a general comment on the transgressions and legal response. If he's a good coach, no NBA team would care and he'd get hired. Ollie's probably not that guy tho.

Reaction Score

Sorry have to agree with the original poster. While it's easy for most to root for the superstars of whatever team they root for I tend to like the story, the grit and the underdog of any of my teams. And stretch that out to make even more sense of what Kathy thinks, think Hartford USBL to the 13 NBA teams he player for, Larry Brown etc etc if you didn't think of him as one of those guys who respectfully donned that uni for the Huskies right up until he lost his way, then you either love the superstar or just can't admit how much you hate the man now foe what he did.

He did what he did and deserved what he has received (and not received $) but for putting on the uni I have all the respect in the world for him and the 4 years he gave us. And then the story to make it to the NBA despite those numbers you flashed and admitted were not very flashy. The way he played, the way he led he was a true Husky.

Hope this next livelihood he is chasing works out for him no matter!

Reaction Score
Sorry have to agree with the original poster. While it's easy for most to root for the superstars of whatever team they root for I tend to like the story, the grit and the underdog of any of my teams. And stretch that out to make even more sense of what Kathy thinks, think Hartford USBL to the 13 NBA teams he player for, Larry Brown etc etc if you didn't think of him as one of those guys who respectfully donned that uni for the Huskies right up until he lost his way, then you either love the superstar or just can't admit how much you hate the man now foe what he did.

He did what he did and deserved what he has received (and not received $) but for putting on the uni I have all the respect in the world for him and the 4 years he gave us. And then the story to make it to the NBA despite those numbers you flashed and admitted were not very flashy. The way he played, the way he led he was a true Husky.

Hope this next livelihood he is chasing works out for him no matter!

I get that you like the guy. That certainly doesn't make him "one of the most beloved players ever to put on a UConn uniform".

I am fairly certain that guys like Kemba, Shabazz, Rip, Ray, Giffey, Freeman, Jake, Emeka, Boat, Khalid, Caron and Rashad were/are more beloved than Ollie, even prior to his coaching debacle. Ollie was a good player at UConn, but not nearly the legend you make him out to be.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clyde deserved a second chance more than Ollie does. I also wonder why he never got one.
If I recall correctly the incident that happened in Hartford happened elsewhere as well. So UConn already was “the second chance”.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get that you like the guy. That certainly doesn't make him "one of the most beloved players ever to put on a UConn uniform".

I am fairly certain that guys like Kemba, Shabazz, Rip, Ray, Giffey, Freeman, Jake, Emeka, Boat, Khalid, Caron and Rashad were/are more beloved than Ollie, even prior to his coaching debacle. Ollie was a good player at UConn, but not nearly the legend you make him out to be.
You’d have to define what constitutes most. Top 10% of players? Top 1%?

It’s hard to disassociate our bias following what KO has done to the program as a coach but if I recall correctly the Boneyard was one voice in praising KO’s NBA career because he was an average player who worked hard to play as long as he did. Ollie defined work ethic and this forum considered him a hero and wonderful representative of UConn’s basketball program.

I get that when there is disappointment or anger over something there is a need to eliminate any value regarding that entity. Kathy, mau and I can’t do that with KO. We can welcome his firing without destroying the good he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom