Kevin Ollie news(non Uconn and non legal matter). | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie news(non Uconn and non legal matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We can welcome his firing without destroying the good he did.
He was well on his way to destroying the program when he got sacked. That doesn't go away just because we had a couple of nice wins. He made his bed.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly the incident that happened in Hartford happened to elsewhere as well. So UConn already was “the second chance”.
Pretty sure there was "at least" one other, and it was covered up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He was well on his way to destroying the program when he got sacked. That doesn't go away just because we had a couple of nice wins. He made his bed.
Out of context. Read the posts I was referencing. My post was about KO prior time to his being a coach. Avoided the coaching debate completely.

Reaction Score
We can revisit and all say how much we knew what was going to happen. That is just BS. Beloved....oh yeah. Outside of Conn when you mentioned UConn, KO's name came up. Yup he was beloved, by all of us and by JC.

Reaction Score
I get that you like the guy. That certainly doesn't make him "one of the most beloved players ever to put on a UConn uniform".

I am fairly certain that guys like Kemba, Shabazz, Rip, Ray, Giffey, Freeman, Jake, Emeka, Boat, Khalid, Caron and Rashad were/are more beloved than Ollie, even prior to his coaching debacle. Ollie was a good player at UConn, but not nearly the legend you make him out to be.

Beloved to who you? The other are more famous and favorite player types but that’s not necessarily beloved. He’s not a legend but does it take legendary status to be a beloved figure? I promise you the I get you like the guy has nothing to do with what I’m saying here. I’ve lost respect for the guy I had a ton for I’m just not allowing what he’s done to his Husky status to take away from what he did in the uni. Not sure if you watched or paid attention when he played but he was always the toughest guy on the floor. He was always shutting down other guards and running a team of scorers. His stats were fine considering who he played with and what he was asked to do.

To me as a player he’s that same guy that Calhoun thought of Taliek, that would be beloved. Not saying your opinion is wrong but Kathy has a solid one too as far as I’m concerned.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He burned all his bridges. Threw Calhoun’s name in the fire as well as the university’s, after all it’s done for him.

I would be totally fine if I never heard of him again. Don’t care.

Reaction Score
You’d have to define what constitutes most. Top 10% of players? Top 1%?

It’s hard to disassociate our bias following what KO has done to the program as a coach but if I recall correctly the Boneyard was one voice in praising KO’s NBA career because he was an average player who worked hard to play as long as he did. Ollie defined work ethic and this forum considered him a hero and wonderful representative of UConn’s basketball program.

I get that when there is disappointment or anger over something there is a need to eliminate any value regarding that entity. Kathy, mau and I can’t do that with KO. We can welcome his firing without destroying the good he did.

He wasn't that special of a player, it has nothing to do with what transpired while he was Head Coach. There are literally dozens of more beloved UConn players based on playing careers alone. If you put a list of your most beloved UConn players, would he even make your top 10?

Reaction Score
You’d have to define what constitutes most. Top 10% of players? Top 1%?

It’s hard to disassociate our bias following what KO has done to the program as a coach but if I recall correctly the Boneyard was one voice in praising KO’s NBA career because he was an average player who worked hard to play as long as he did. Ollie defined work ethic and this forum considered him a hero and wonderful representative of UConn’s basketball program.

I get that when there is disappointment or anger over something there is a need to eliminate any value regarding that entity. Kathy, mau and I can’t do that with KO. We can welcome his firing without destroying the good he did.

Bingo fleudy!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He wasn't that special of a player, it has nothing to do with what transpired while he was Head Coach. There are literally dozens of more beloved UConn players based on playing careers alone. If you put a list of your most beloved UConn players, would he even make your top 10?
The list behind him would be very much larger.
If Kathy said he was the most beloved your argument would have merit. She didn’t.

KO did things that helped the program directly and indirectly. UConn got a lot of press when his history was mentioned during his NBA career. Everything positive contributes. Everything negative hurts.

I have no problem if people hate Ollie or hate the negative things he’s done. But it’s wrong to state he did nothing that was good. That’s a lie. I won’t be part of that lie.

Reaction Score
If Kathy said he was the most beloved your argument would have merit. She didn’t.

KO did things that helped the program directly and indirectly. UConn got a lot of press when his history was mentioned during his NBA career. Everything positive contributes. Everything negative hurts.

I have no problem if people hate Ollie or hate the negative things he’s done. But it’s wrong to state he did nothing that was good. That’s a lie. I won’t be part of that lie.
He won a National Championship, pretty sure that's a good thing.

Reaction Score

Kathy wasn't the one who said KO was "one of the most beloved players to ever put on a UConn uniform". She simply agreed with the guy, and apparently you do as well. I think it's a stretch to make that statement, as many other players come to mind sooner when I hear the term "most beloved". Most beloved would be a top 5 or top 10 and I simply don't think KO was ever quite on that level even prior to becoming a coach. That status is for guys like Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Emeka, Ray, Nadav... the truly special players. if you want to expand most beloved to include 30 or 40 players will then sure KO is in the mix.

I get that he did some good things as a player, and then did some great things as a Head Coach during his first two years. I don't think anyone including me would deny that.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
I think KO was one of the most respected UConn players/alumni for a long time. I don't remember ever loving him (not as I loved other players of good character, e.g. Ricky Moore), but I respected him for about two decades. He made a long career out of a paucity of talent. He succeeded at UConn on the court, succeeded in the NBA, and succeeded as an assistant coach to JC and then in his first two years as head coach succeeded about as well as a coach can.

And then he drove off or lost JC and Blaney, he lost his motivation, and then all his weaknesses especially his lack of intelligence came to the fore. He needed to be more motivated than other coaches, and to surround himself with people smarter than he was. He didn't do either.

And then he lacked the generosity of spirit to go out graciously.

I think we can still look back and praise the guy for his strengths and his accomplishments; and yet be glad he's no longer our head coach. It's very fortunate a guy like Hurley was available when we needed him.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

I always took pride in his NBA career and the work ethic that allowed him to follow it. When he was done there, the was so highly regarded in the league. And he still has friends and supporters there. But IMO, his fall from grace at UConn has completely wiped those good feelings off the board. Outside of the UConn family and a handful of NBA players/coaches, how many people remember or care about his NBA work?

The one mental highlight I have of his UConn playing days was him coming down court at full tilt boogie, taking off from just beyond the three point line and releasing a floater just before he touched down inside the foul line, for the shortest 3 point basket in history.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Kathy wasn't the one who said KO was "one of the most beloved players to ever put on a UConn uniform". She simply agreed with the guy, and apparently you do as well. I think it's a stretch to make that statement, as many other players come to mind sooner when I hear the term "most beloved". Most beloved would be a top 5 or top 10 and I simply don't think KO was ever quite on that level even prior to becoming a coach. That status is for guys like Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Emeka, Ray, Nadav... the truly special players. if you want to expand most beloved to include 30 or 40 players will then sure KO is in the mix.

I get that he did some good things as a player, and then did some great things as a Head Coach during his first two years. I don't think anyone including me would deny that.
Reasonable and a more rational approach. Top 30 to 40 for me. Given the number of players that’s decent but off the list of one of the most list.

I get aggravated with the foolishness that goes on which states he screwed up the last three years and did nothing the first two. Or people asterisk the first two.

Reaction Score
So you see Ollie working on the medical billing part of this company?
Come on!
Do you think the doctors work in the medical billing departments of their companies? Of hospitals?
They just tell the people doing the billing what to bill. The people doing the billing bill. Are you really that naive?

Reaction Score
That's not fair to even speculate. Ollie was a disappointment as a Head Coach, but you shouldn't forecast shady and illegal behavior. That's just not right.
Did he or did he not commit infractions while ahead Coach? Did he lie about those while under investigation? I am not saying he will but I think he could become (or may already be) a bitter man who could succumb to desperate behavior based on what he believes was taken from him unfairly. He committed those infractions because he thought they didn’t apply to him.
His ongoing lawsuit doesn’t seem to be someone who sees that his own actions have any bearing on the situation. He’s exactly the kind of person who finds himself in these situations. I hope I’m not right.

But it’s a weird business for him to choose. The typical businesses former athletes seem to choose have a high cash-pay basis as well (prone to tax evasion - think restaurant franchises). This one has the insurance piece but also a high cash pay model.

Reaction Score
Did he or did he not commit infractions while ahead Coach? Did he lie about those while under investigation? I am not saying he will but I think he could become (or may already be) a bitter man who could succumb to desperate behavior based on what he believes was taken from him unfairly. He committed those infractions because he thought they didn’t apply to him.
His ongoing lawsuit doesn’t seem to be someone who sees that his own actions have any bearing on the situation. He’s exactly the kind of person who finds himself in these situations. I hope I’m not right.

But it’s a weird business for him to choose. The typical businesses former athletes seem to choose have a high cash-pay basis as well (prone to tax evasion - think restaurant franchises). This one has the insurance piece but also a high cash pay model.
It looks like he bought a franchise. Trying to spin he is a perfect candidate for committing felonies? BIG REACH.

Reaction Score
I think KO was one of the most respected UConn players/alumni for a long time. I don't remember ever loving him (not as I loved other players of good character, e.g. Ricky Moore), but I respected him for about two decades. He made a long career out of a paucity of talent. He succeeded at UConn on the court, succeeded in the NBA, and succeeded as an assistant coach to JC and then in his first two years as head coach succeeded about as well as a coach can.

And then he drove off or lost JC and Blaney, he lost his motivation, and then all his weaknesses especially his lack of intelligence came to the fore. He needed to be more motivated than other coaches, and to surround himself with people smarter than he was. He didn't do either.

And then he lacked the generosity of spirit to go out graciously.

I think we can still look back and praise the guy for his strengths and his accomplishments; and yet be glad he's no longer our head coach. It's very fortunate a guy like Hurley was available when we needed him.
Fantastic post, perfect summation in my opinion. FWIW, because he went to school with me and I had season tickets most of his college career, KO was my favorite Husky PG of all time until Kemba and Bazz made that a non discussion. I loved KO’s defense, how he ran the team his last 2.5 years and his warrior mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom