Kevin Ollie congratulates his alma mater | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie congratulates his alma mater

Reaction Score
hurley said before the final four that he wanted a picture with geno and calhoun together. calhoun said he would take the photo if hurley won the chip.

i would also like to see a photo with calhoun, hurley, and ollie together. i don't know if it will ever happen, but it would make a lot of people in connecticut very happy.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the memories and the 04 banner, still think you mailed it in at the end and did your best to kill the program. The way you treated Calhoun is unforgivable.

Reaction Score
If and only If he ever finds in his heart to make good with his mentor and father-like Jim Calhoun…the man handcuffed the university to ensure his succession. until then, he is dead to the program.

Reaction Score
Listening to JWill this morning, the rest of the country views the KO situation completely different than UConn fans do. He’s one of 3 African American coaches with a national title. In today climate it would behoove the University from a pure prospective standpoint to bury the hatchet and welcome him back into the family publicly. It’s a stain that Hurley and this administration doesn’t deserve

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Btw time to update the ol signature huh? ;)
Absolutely! I think that Tom may have reduced the character limit since I set that up. I may need to ask for a dispensation on that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Listening to JWill this morning, the rest of the country views the KO situation completely different than UConn fans do. He’s one of 3 African American coaches with a national title. In today climate it would behoove the University from a pure prospective standpoint to bury the hatchet and welcome him back into the family publicly. It’s a stain that Hurley and this administration doesn’t deserve

No one cares about Kevin Ollie nationally.

Lol.

Reaction Score
Danny should have let Ollie give the Pre-Game speech to the team last night like he allowed Calhoun for the Semi game. We need to be one big, happy family and promote diversity and culture. Its a good look for recruitment. BTW, its a good thing we have 3 Title Coaches, even though we know Calhoun will always be the Architect of the Dynasty.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Let's have an alumni Charity event with half of the proceeds going to Cancer Research and the other half going to the UConn NIL foundation. A four team tournament :

-Team of former Calhoun Players
-Team of former Ollie Players
-Team of former Hurley Players
-Team of former Auriemma Players

....could we get a group of 10 former UConn players willing to represent Ollie given the history?!

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is a part of this program's redemption story, for better or worse. Without the dark days of the final Ollie years, yesterday's win would not taste nearly as sweet. I am happy to see Ollie has moved past his personal agenda, and he should be welcomed back into the Husky brotherhood with open arms.

Reaction Score
The only ones who view it differently are the guys who have personal relationships with Ollie.

Everyone else knows either very little about the situation, or they really know what happened. There’s a reason he hasn’t gotten an actual coaching job since UConn.

Reaction Score
Ollie kept UConn at or near the top for several years before the AAC finally started to sink the entire athletic program. Hurley would not have come here if Ollie had not left him something to build on.
Ollie did keep UConn relevant. I agree that the AAC hurt UConn, but I think the biggest AAC problem was once Ollie blew up the program, the AAC would have hurt UConn's ability to turn around the program after Ollie was fired. Look at Ollie's recruiting classes in 2015 and 2016. Here were the top recruits and their recruiting rankings:

Jalen Adams #24
Steven Enoch #84
Alterique Gilbert #35
Juwan Durham. #50
Vance Jackson #77
Mamadou Diarra. #125
Christian Vital. #166

On paper, the recruiting looked good, yet his records were:

2016/2017: 16-17
2017/2018: 14-18

The problems Ollie had were poor scouting of recruits, injuries (some were previously known), poor development, and he didn't seem to recruit players to have an effective basketball strategy. I'm sure his cutting off Calhoun and his divorce didn't help either.

Reaction Score
For whatever else went wrong, that 2014 run was a super well-coached team. We beat Martelli, Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan and Calipari.

Every game had different coaching tests, St. Joe's had the point forward thing going on, we opened up a lead on Nova with Bazz on the bench in foul trouble, we had to withstand a big-time counter punch from Michigan State when we were down 10 in the second half, Florida took Bazz out the game entirely and looked like they were going to beat us 100-10, and we made adjustments. We looked way better prepared for Kentucky than vice versa and only some foul trouble to Daniels and Boat after we got up 30-15 gave them some life.

Florida threw a 1-3-1 zone at us in the second half and we torched it with three lobs, and then when we got a lead we played with Giffey at center and let Young have his, but we matched them basket for basket. Then the lob worked again against Kentucky in the final in a key spot, and when they ran a double at Bazz on the last possession, we were ready for it and got Kromah to the line. Some of that is Bazz being savvy too, but the only time in that tournament when it felt like we were getting outcoached was at the start of Florida when their gameplan smothered us, and we couldn't do anything. And we won by double digits.

Maybe the assistants did most of that work and KO got lucky, but man, that team was super well coached. It was downhill from there, but I'll always say that title is his. Yeah Bazz and Boat were Calhoun recruits, but he had to take that team over after everyone else bailed and build up over two years with an entirely different system (and no offense to Olander, Nolan, and Brimah, but with a frontcourt that was typically outmatched).

Reaction Score
Danny should have let Ollie give the Pre-Game speech to the team last night like he allowed Calhoun for the Semi game. We need to be one big, happy family and promote diversity and culture. Its a good look for recruitment. BTW, its a good thing we have 3 Title Coaches, even though we know Calhoun will always be the Architect of the Dynasty.
Worst idea I have ever heard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom