Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kenya got 9 top 150 recruits to come play for Nebraska in 3 years. Nebraska, a team that has literally never won a game in the NCAA tournament.

His profile as a recruiter when he came here was massively beyond what KFree’s is right now, and people were pumped to get him.

We know he'll be a head coach some day if he wants it, we cannot say the same yet about freeman.

Reaction Score
Kenya got 9 top 150 recruits to come play for Nebraska in 3 years. Nebraska, a team that has literally never won a game in the NCAA tournament.

His profile as a recruiter when he came here was massively beyond what KFree’s is right now, and people were pumped to get him.

Appreciated his contributions while here..I'm sure he will continue to be successful at IU..He's a good man..

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

This is 9 that were in the top 150 for either espn or rivals but not necessarily both...so concensus top 200 caliber recruits. 1 top 100 recruit. Is that what people in this convo who are complaining are looking for?
The fact that it was at Nebraska and adjusting results for that was exactly the other poster's point about Freeman at PSU.

Reaction Score
This is 9 that were in the top 150 for either espn or rivals but not necessarily both...so concensus top 200 caliber recruits. 1 top 100 recruit. Is that what people in this convo who are complaining are looking for?
The fact that it was at Nebraska and adjusting results for that was exactly the other poster's point about Freeman at PSU.
Lol I have no idea if the 1 top 100 comment is correct, and I’m certainly not going to spend time looking into the details, but it definitely feels false.

But hey, if you want to pretend KFree as an assistant and recruiter today is thought of as highly as Kenya was 2 years ago, you keep on homering buddy.

Reaction Score

Chillious profile was much better than KFree’s also. How did he do here. Oh yea couldn’t even land a guy he recruited since 6th grade over Rutgers.

Everything is relative. Hurley has good judgement and good people around him from his father, to Calhoun, to Tiger Tom. He listens to them on important matters.

If KFree is the guy, then there is good reason for it. Like UCONN legacy, loyalty, longevity potential, he thinks he’s actually good for the job, etc.

PS: Being back in the Big East gives us way more margin for error. In the end, in basketball people sign up to play for the head coach.

Reaction Score
And Hurley wasn’t getting the types of recruits at URI that he is getting now. Either you trust Hurley and will support who ever he picks or you don’t trust him and you should start a campaign to have him fired.
No that's not what I'm saying but congrats on getting some likes by twisting my words

C

Chief00

Danny Hurley thinks KFree has potential, is comfortable with him and he knows the system. The other plus is, a KFree hire cements ties with UConn’s former players. So he would be a good hire today or in the future.

These hiring processes aren’t binary decisions and there’s cross currents of offers, accept/rejects, counter offers, moving on to other candidates etc. We are fortunate to attract great candidates, so to our beloved Casual Fans, that doesn’t mean a negative about who isn’t hired.

Looking forward this week to an announcement of a great hire. We are in good hands.

Reaction Score
Elijah Hutchens-Everett is the 180th ranked recruit in the country.

With about 360 D-1 programs, that makes him good enough to be the top recruit on the vast majority of them, especially a program like PSU that has no profile of excellence upon which to recruit. Kevin went there with no previous recruiting experience and in his second year was able to recruit a guy that many high profile programs offered and people on this site who've seen him believe has a very promising future.

If Kevin is the hire, will you be posting here about how incompetent Hurley was to choose him?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Lol I have no idea if the 1 top 100 comment is correct, and I’m certainly not going to spend time looking into the details, but it definitely feels false.

But hey, if you want to pretend KFree as an assistant and recruiter today is thought of as highly as Kenya was 2 years ago, you keep on homering buddy.
I'm not saying he's as well thought of. He's much younger and less experienced. My point is that a bunch of people here are deluded about what filing an assistant role is. A couple weeks a ago, before the Hawkins commitment, people were saying that it would be nice to see Kenya actually be able to close on a recruit, since he was out with health issues when the staff closed on Javonte Brown Ferguson. Which was obviously ridiculous.

People from the outside don't have anything close to an idea of how DH sees KFree fitting into his staff and the role he has in mind for him if he is indeed the pick.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be happy about whomever Hurley and staff hire, because they know way more about the program and what's best than any of us ever will.

Take it easy. Logic doesn't count among those who know little to nothing about what it takes to build and maintain a successful program.
Even though they loved the hiring of Moore, Young and Hunter, they've now come to the conclusion that Hurley has no idea how to put together a staff.

Reaction Score

Where did you get your "facts"?
Why post something denigrating Kevin's qualifications for the position without doing some research?
247 shows the following during Kenya's five years at Nebraska and we don't know how many recruits were his responsibility. Only #76, in 2015, showed specific involvement with Kenya.

Summary:
17 recruits in those 5 years;
4 recruits in the top 150 (not 9); and
only one recruit from the DelMarVa region which some here are saying is Kenya's strength and the reason we don't want Kevin. Plus, how do we know who actually recruited the 4 top 150 guys? Kevin's #178 guy, in only his second year of recruiting, would be the 7th highest rated recruit among the list below.

2014: 3 recruits (#'s 196, 278 and unranked), from OK, NJ, and KS.
2015: 5 recruits (#'s 76, 111, 263, 335 and unranked), from Australia, IA, MI and IL (2).
2016: 3 recruits (#'s 133, 161, and 176), from IL, MA and MO.
2017: 3 recruits (#'s 103, 187 and unranked), from NH, IL and Iceland.
2018: 3 recruits (#'s 341, 357 and 364), from NE, MD and FL.

If you want to give Kenya credit for 2019, that class had four high school kids (#'s 168, 192, 326 and 473) and two JuCo's (#'s 17 and 27 from NE and UT JC's).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not trying to get likes. If you don’t want people to misinterpret what you say, do a better job choosing your words
Since you apparently need everything explicitly spelled out for you I'll be more clear. I trust Dan Hurley and if he chooses Kevin Freeman I will root for him. But that doesn't mean I can't say his resume leaves a lot to be desired as an assistant coach

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Since you apparently need everything explicitly spelled out for you I'll be more clear. I trust Dan Hurley and if he chooses Kevin Freeman I will root for him. But that doesn't mean I can't say his resume leaves a lot to be desired as an assistant coach

What is his resume lacking? KFree meets all the requirements posted by the university in its job posting.

Reaction Score
What is his resume lacking? KFree meets all the requirements posted by the university in its job posting.
As others have said, I wanted someone with connections in the DMV area to help what our recruiting is losing with Kenya. The job postings are written after a candidate is already chosen so of course he would meet all those qualifications

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley thinks KFree has potential, is comfortable with him and he knows the system. The other plus is, a KFree hire cements ties with UConn’s former players. So he would be a good hire today or in the future.

These hiring processes aren’t binary decisions and there’s cross currents of offers, accept/rejects, counter offers, moving on to other candidates etc. We are fortunate to attract great candidates, so to our beloved Casual Fans, that doesn’t mean a negative about who isn’t hired.

Looking forward this week to an announcement of a great hire. We are in good hands.
I hear you Chief..It is what it is..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Weird take.

It appears Freeman really wants to succeed in coaching. I think one probably mark against him with some people is that when he was here he was basically there on the bench, silent, and that's what many of us still see. What exactly did he do?

As a player he was a rock solid guy down low and a champion. I have no doubt he can coach that. I Hurley brings him back then UConn will benefit. Former players are an asset even on the bench. At this level there is no room for decorative hires. If Freeman is hired then he earned it and will help Hurley achieve his goals.

Just a thought in line with this. We trust Dan to get guys and improve them as players. Shouldn’t we trust him to get guys and improve them as coaches? Kevin Freeman is absolutely as strong an example of the lunch pail, work your butt off player as we’ve ever had. If Dan thinks he can bring that out as a coach, I’m all for it. He’s not here as the alternate HC, we’ve got two other guys qualified for that role on the staff.

Side note, he played internationally for a long time. It’s possible he could leverage that in international recruiting which I think is more important than ever.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As others have said, I wanted someone with connections in the DMV area to help what our recruiting is losing with Kenya. The job postings are written after a candidate is already chosen so of course he would meet all those qualifications

It's a shame Hurley is unaware of the strengths Kenya brought to the staff and the athletic director lacks the ability to oversee the MBB staff blend.

Reaction Score
It's a shame Hurley is unaware of the strengths Kenya brought to the staff and the athletic director lacks the ability to oversee the MBB staff blend.
Seriously, stop it, I already said I trust Hurley with whatever choice he makes. Why ask for my opinion if you don't care about the answer?

Reaction Score
@Watchdog and @Chin Diesel ...

Because I would prefer not having someone learning on the job while we have tons of momentum on rebuilding our program to elite status. Tom Moore, Kimani Young, and Kenya Hunter have major connections on the circuit in crucial areas we recruit from and have long proven track records. We just lost our assistant who has those connections in the DMV area I want to replace that with someone similar or even better in that area or a guy with a major proven national recruiting track record.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seriously, stop it, I already said I trust Hurley with whatever choice he makes. Why ask for my opinion if you don't care about the answer?

Gotcha. You are old man yelling at clouds.

You trust the coach who runs the program, you trust his ability to evaluate talent and you trust him to figure out how to build his staff. You're just mad at what the result of all that may end up being.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom