OT: - Keney Golf | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Keney Golf

Reaction Score
#3 - literally a straight somewhat short par 3, not sure the gimmick you speak of.

From the front tee box, it's not even a full sand wedge.

Par 4s - so because they’re demanding and if you hit a bad shot you’re in trouble, it makes them bad holes? Literally every green presents the opportunity for a recovery shot running into the green. From the blue tees none are unreasonably long, based on Your comments I can’t imagine you’re playing tees any further back.

I didn't say they're bad holes. I don't think that qualifies them as a "great layout" because they're long and have trees on the right.

in addition, Rockledge, Topstone and Quarry Hills are not even remotely in the same class as Keney, Fairview and Timberlin (not sure of recent conditions there). Rockledge has potential but needs some serious updating, TLC.

Agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
From the front tee box, it's not even a full sand wedge.

I didn't say they're bad holes. I don't think that qualifies them as a "great layout" because they're long and have trees on the right.

Agree to disagree.

you must be playing the white tees? I honestly don’t even have a clue what the course is like from there. The blues are barely 6,000 yards, 3 is anywhere from 125-140 from there, 160ish from gold

Reaction Score
you must be playing the white tees? I honestly don’t even have a clue what the course is like from there. The blues are barely 6,000 yards, 3 is anywhere from 125-140 from there, 160ish from gold

I've played there when the third hole tee was on the lower tier and the blue and white markers were the same. Many times.

Reaction Score
Played there this past weekend from white tees; had I payed attention to the length from the whites I would have played from the blues. Even from the tips (gold tees) I believe its less than 6500 yards. The course's only defense is its undulating greens and fairways (always seem to be hitting off of some type of slope, unlike the flat fairways at Tunxis). I like the course layout a lot, though the fairways and tee boxes were not in as good condition as they had been in the last year or two; perhaps the City of Hartford's financial woes prevent them from maintaining it properly (can't pay their MDC bills).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Need to drink on the course if you can, it creates fantastic rhythm ;)

74 yesterday 2 birds should've had 5-6 ... cocktail to start wipes out the nerves, couple of beers and a shot of McGullicudys (fantastic cart girl she did one with us, she's a coach of women hoop at Caretlon College played up until 2017 at Western Conn all NE guard. Long legs cute as hell and fun, Emily if you play at Winnapaug in Westerly). that was the front 9 then a couple of 9% lemonades from RI and another McGullicudys with her and the other 3 guys. And a Tito's/Tonic. Keeps it fun LOL
And how much were you still feeling it as you posted this?

Reaction Score
Played there this past weekend from white tees; had I payed attention to the length from the whites I would have played from the blues. Even from the tips (gold tees) I believe its less than 6500 yards. The course's only defense is its undulating greens and fairways (always seem to be hitting off of some type of slope, unlike the flat fairways at Tunxis). I like the course layout a lot, though the fairways and tee boxes were not in as good condition as they had been in the last year or two; perhaps the City of Hartford's financial woes prevent them from maintaining it properly (can't pay their MDC bills).

Only a matter of time before the tee boxes are square patches of hard dirt....

Reaction Score
Only a matter of time before the tee boxes are square patches of hard dirt....

they just had back to back PGA Junior events with 125+ players beating them up.

Only a matter of time before it sounds like you’ll be 6 ft in the dirt yourself.

I've played there when the third hole tee was on the lower tier and the blue and white markers were the same. Many times.

The blue tees are literally never on the lower tee, not even sure they were moved there just prior to the girls PGA. But of course you know, even though you are afraaaaid of going in Keney park

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The blue tees are literally never on the lower tee, not even sure they were moved there just prior to the girls PGA. But of course you know, even though you are afraaaaid of going in Keney park

Agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
they just had back to back PGA Junior events with 125+ players beating them up.

Only a matter of time before it sounds like you’ll be 6 ft in the dirt yourself. we’ll all be better off then

And hey! I can't wait til you die either!

Reaction Score
Weekday, 18 hole greens fees with a cart, non-resident rates when applicable.

Timberlin – 59.75
Rockledge – 55.00
Topstone – 53.00
Simsbury Farms – 58.00
Quarry Ridge – 53.00
Fairview Farm – 63.00

Keney – 60.00

Anyone who says they'd play Keney over the other 6 courses is a moron.
Simsbury Farms:
Weekday Special(Mon - Fri)18 Holes with Cart
$50.00​

Reaction Score
it’s only agree to disagree when you have nothing to say. Stay over at Rockledge and Buena Vista

No. It’s your opinion against mine. Not fact based. My view means just as much, internet tough guy.

Reaction Score
A. Because I live in Windsor, so try again pal/moron
B. We know you are condescending in every reply you post pertaining to anything Hartford, so we’ll fight fire with fire.

#2 - clearly could use some drainage improvements to reduce the wetness down by the creek (same with 12). Screwed this up during rebuild but neither really changes the hole other than your driver now goes 150 instead of 175.
#3 - literally a straight somewhat short par 3, not sure the gimmick you speak of.
#6 - yes the green has a ton of undulation but isn’t that why it’s a PW or less? If it were 175-200 it would be a fair argument.
Par 4s - so because they’re demanding and if you hit a bad shot you’re in trouble, it makes them bad holes? Literally every green presents the opportunity for a recovery shot running into the green. From the blue tees none are unreasonably long, based on Your comments I can’t imagine you’re playing tees any further back.

in addition, Rockledge, Topstone and Quarry Hills are not even remotely in the same class as Keney, Fairview and Timberlin (not sure of recent conditions there). Rockledge has potential but needs some serious updating, TLC.

Rockledge, Topstone and Quarry Ridge are not "even remotely" in the same class as Keney, Fairview and Timberlin? Hialrious to throw Timberline and Keney in with Fairview because neither are remotely close to Fairview in condition, price or lay out. Timberlin isn't as good as Topstone ever, Quarry usually although they have struggled keeping their tees in good condition. Rockledge, Timberlin and Keney are all kind of in the same class, decent public courses although not special in too many ways. Topstone front 9 is a little too much back and forth, back 9 is solid but nonetheless always in very good shape and drier than all courses after rain hits the area. In all reality many of these are similar public courses with your own preference being the end result. To call them not even remotely close makes me wonder what you know about golf quite honestly.

Reaction Score
Rockledge, Topstone and Quarry Ridge are not "even remotely" in the same class as Keney, Fairview and Timberlin? Hialrious to throw Timberline and Keney in with Fairview because neither are remotely close to Fairview in condition, price or lay out. Timberlin isn't as good as Topstone ever, Quarry usually although they have struggled keeping their tees in good condition. Rockledge, Timberlin and Keney are all kind of in the same class, decent public courses although not special in too many ways. Topstone front 9 is a little too much back and forth, back 9 is solid but nonetheless always in very good shape and drier than all courses after rain hits the area. In all reality many of these are similar public courses with your own preference being the end result. To call them not even remotely close makes me wonder what you know about golf quite honestly.

If I told you I'd pay for a free foursome with Topstone, Keney, Fairview, Timberlin, Simsbury Farms and Rockledge, how would you rank them 1-6?

Note: Mau plays how many rounds a year? 150?

Reaction Score
If I told you I'd pay for a free foursome with Topstone, Keney, Fairview, Timberlin, Simsbury Farms and Rockledge, how would you rank them 1-6?

Not 150 Deep or close but over the years all of these multiple times. My ranking:

1) Fairview not close
2) Topstone
3) Simsbury Farms
4) Keney
5) Rockledge
6) Timberlin

Mind you, after Topstone it becomes close to a toss up on the last 4.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Rockledge is boring with the extra bonus of being slower than death

Reaction Score
Well. It’s a toss up until you factor in local watering holes and food options after golf.

Well stated and that 1-6 would change if that was the focus. But we won’t go there :cool:

Reaction Score

Fairview
Keney
Timberlin
Rockledge
Simsbury Farms
Topstone

Reaction Score
Not 150 Deep or close but over the years all of these multiple times. My ranking:

1) Fairview not close
2) Topstone
3) Simsbury Farms
4) Keney
5) Rockledge
6) Timberlin

Mind you, after Topstone it becomes close to a toss up on the last 4.
You’re clearly a golfer since you chime in on all of these related topics and not just ones on Keney or Hartford. What do you look for when you define a course as good?

Reaction Score
To each their own I suppose. But I’d venture to guess it’d be a toss up on who has played more golf courses, even though I gather you’re probably 20-30 years older than I am. One year alone we played 47 different courses in the surrounding area, CT, MA, RI. That’s not brag but to give some perspective.

curious on the criteria you use to define good? I don’t mean these questions in a bad way either. Are you familiar with what a template hole is? Aspects of a restoration and the effects of overgrown trees on traditional and older layouts? How courses change over time due to maintenance practices, I.e. changes to green sizes, shapes, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom