OT: - Keney Golf | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Keney Golf

Reaction Score
Need to drink on the course if you can, it creates fantastic rhythm ;)

74 yesterday 2 birds should've had 5-6 ... cocktail to start wipes out the nerves, couple of beers and a shot of McGullicudys (fantastic cart girl she did one with us, she's a coach of women hoop at Caretlon College played up until 2017 at Western Conn all NE guard. Long legs cute as hell and fun, Emily if you play at Winnapaug in Westerly). that was the front 9 then a couple of 9% lemonades from RI and another McGullicudys with her and the other 3 guys. And a Tito's/Tonic. Keeps it fun LOL
Wow, great score. You seem to have the alcohol formula down, at least judging from your score. I might have to “borrow” that. By the way, as a parentheses user myself, you’re not supposed to put entire paragraphs in them!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And here it is. The annual group of cheapskates who'll talk about what a "great layout" it has.

i liked keney better when it was a dump.

it is a pretty good layout though.

Reaction Score
i liked keney better when it was a dump.

it is a pretty good layout though.
It doesn’t seem that “cheap” to me though like people were saying. It’s $62 on weekends with a cart for non residents.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t seem that “cheap” to me though like people were saying. It’s $62 on weekends with a cart for non residents.
If they conditioned as well as say wintonbury they could easily charge $80-90. There’s very little public golf below $50 with a cart unless your standards are not very high

Reaction Score
If they conditioned as well as say wintonbury they could easily charge $80-90. There’s very little public golf below $50 with a cart unless your standards are not very high
Where do you come up with below $50 for a non resident? In the part of the state I usually play ( Trumbull, Monroe, Fairfield, Orange) good courses are 55-70 as well. I read several posts calling Keney cheap. Seems in the ballpark, but not cheap by any means unless it’s an exceptional track.

Reaction Score
Where do you come up with below $50 for a non resident? In the part of the state I usually play ( Trumbull, Monroe, Fairfield, Orange) good courses are 55-70 as well. I read several posts calling Keney cheap. Seems in the ballpark, but not cheap by any means unless it’s an exceptional track.
Just over the border in Massachusetts, there are a number of courses with reasonable prices. Just west of Springfield. We used to go regularly back in the day. Even The Ranch was less than Fairview Farms.

Reaction Score
Just over the border in Massachusetts, there are a number of courses with reasonable prices. Just west of Springfield. We used to go regularly back in the day. Even The Ranch was less than Fairview Farms.
I got spoiled when I lived in FL. From May-October we would play beautiful courses for under $40. Had to deal with the heat but a few were almost PGA Tour caliber. Was a bit of shock to come back here and pay 70-$90 for so so courses.

Reaction Score
Wow, great score. You seem to have the alcohol formula down, at least judging from your score. I might have to “borrow” that. By the way, as a parentheses user myself, you’re not supposed to put entire paragraphs in them!

You have no idea of how that formula has been refined over time. It’s magical.

Reaction Score
Was really nice a LONG time ago. A zoo and horse back riding even. (giving away my age I suppose) ..Crime crept in. Got a bit dangerous to go there. Glad to hear it’s doing well, as it was always a nice course to play.
Laredo Ranch and Frontier Ranch. Keney had some great riding trails. There was also a gun range close by the course but it closed after someone on the 4th tee took a round.

Reaction Score
I said nothing halfway decent is below $50 with a cart, and were talking weekend mornings. Improve your reading comprehension. Im not talking some twilight rate on a Tuesday. Keney is $51 resident $62 non with a cart.

Name some of the “good courses” you speak of? Oak hills? $53 res/$76

Reaction Score
Keney is much improved and a decent lay out, some real solid par 4s. I played it twice last year it was in good shape not great. Greens were nice, fast actually. I am guessing with their kids national tourneys this summer they made it look even better, will check it out hopefully. The improvements are a great story but admittedly not one I am jumping out of my seat for at 62.

Reaction Score
I said nothing halfway decent is below $50 with a cart, and were talking weekend mornings. Improve your reading comprehension. Im not talking some twilight rate on a Tuesday. Keney is $51 resident $62 non with a cart.

Name some of the “good courses” you speak of? Oak hills? $53 res/$76
My “reading comprehension” is just fine thank you. You said there is very little public golf with a cart for less than $50, not nothing. Maybe you should gain a better comprehension of what you actually wrote. “Very little” seemed to indicate that Keney had a rate below 50.

I don’t want a course too cheap because it will be packed with hackers, so yes Mr. Condescending, I do have standards. I’m looking forward to playing Keney soon, at a rate that is similar to others but not “cheap” as others stated earlier in the thread.

Reaction Score
Is Keney fairly easy relative to other courses? My friend who always struggles shot a 92 there recently. Makes me think it’s not a super tough course.

Reaction Score
Is Keney fairly easy relative to other courses? My friend who always struggles shot a 92 there recently. Makes me think it’s not a super tough course.

Let me break it down simply for you.

In the past, it was super cheap to play. Horrible condition. Horrible part of town. That got overlooked because you got as many holes as you could play with a cart for 30.00-40.00.

Now they have ramped up the fees. It’s no longer a bargain. There’s nothing special about it.

Reaction Score
I grew up playing Keney. Even though they opened it up some it is a shortish tight course. STraight is the key at Keney and the woods will kill you.

Reaction Score
Let me break it down simply for you.

In the past, it was super cheap to play. Horrible condition. Horrible part of town. That got overlooked because you got as many holes as you could play with a cart for 30.00-40.00.

Now they have ramped up the fees. It’s no longer a bargain. There’s nothing special about it.
@Deepster Buddy, try again. $52 with cart for a resident. You obviously don’t know much about golf if you say there’s nothing special about it. You prob frequent Airways and Copper Hill, and for that we’re all better off.

Reaction Score
@Deepster Buddy, try again. $52 with cart for a resident. You obviously don’t know much about golf if you say there’s nothing special about it. You prob frequent Airways and Copper Hill, and for that we’re all better off.

Sorry to hear you’re a Hartford resident.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear you’re a Hartford resident.
I’m not a Hartford resident but thank you @Deepster. Instead of using your now very old Hartford sucks routine, actually engage me in a discussion on golf courses and why it’s bad. Also would love to hear what you consider good and what those rates are. Thanks and have great day!

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think the old Keney layout was harder. A lot of the trees have been taken down. The two holes made much easier were two of the more punishing holes if you missed the green. That’s 4 and 5 4 is much.easier if you miss the green and the steep slope to 5 is now terraced. Par is still 70 so scores might seem a little lower.

The prices are pretty much typical for the area, but even though much. higher than the. old course, play is way up and for any people who be,Ive in the myth that playing there was life threatening, the relatively high number of middle aged women playing there now should provide peace of mind. The overall facilities are much better with a good restaurant and a practice area where the lower parking lot used to be.

Reaction Score
I think the old Keney layout was harder. A lot of the trees have been taken down. The two holes made much easier were two of the more punishing holes if you missed the green. That’s 4 and 5 4 is much.easier if you miss the green and the steep slope to 5 is now terraced. Par is still 70 so scores might seem a little lower.

The prices are pretty much typical for the area, but even though much. higher than the. old course, play is way up and for any people who be,Ive in the myth that playing there was life threatening, the relatively high number of middle aged women playing there now should provide peace of mind. The overall facilities are much better with a good restaurant and a practice area where the lower parking lot used to be.
The course was extremely overgrown due to neglect so certainly some holes may have been harder like 4. 5 to me is not much different. I agree the greens are much larger but far and away more difficult to chip and putt to than previously. 14 comes to mind. That hole was so poorly maintained that you needed a miracle to have a clear approach and hold the green.

Reaction Score
I’m not a Hartford resident but thank you @Deepster. Instead of using your now very old Hartford sucks routine, actually engage me in a discussion on golf courses and why it’s bad. Also would love to hear what you consider good and what those rates are. Thanks and have great day!

a) Not sure why you'd quote resident rates as a non-resident, but glad to hear you don't live in Hartford.
b) If you want a discussion on golf courses, that's fine. But this will be nothing but "I give my point, you disagree and give your point" and you already think you're the smart one here.....

As for my critique? The par 5, 2nd hole is usually spent trying to find your drive in the creek or plugged in the mud because it's always wet in the landing area. The 2 par 3's on the front are gimmicky wedge shots. The 12th hole is a driveable par 4, again, with an awful landing area. There are a bunch of unforgiving, longer par 4's but I don't know what's so special about them other than you can get in trouble if you push your drives right.

The people who like it, again, are cheapskates who have paid 20.00 with a cart after 5 pm to get as many holes as you can.....then justify it with the "great layout" line.

Reaction Score
Weekday, 18 hole greens fees with a cart, non-resident rates when applicable.

Timberlin – 59.75
Rockledge – 55.00
Topstone – 53.00
Simsbury Farms – 58.00
Quarry Ridge – 53.00
Fairview Farm – 63.00

Keney – 60.00

Anyone who says they'd play Keney over the other 6 courses is a moron.

Reaction Score
a) Not sure why you'd quote resident rates as a non-resident, but glad to hear you don't live in Hartford.
b) If you want a discussion on golf courses, that's fine. But this will be nothing but "I give my point, you disagree and give your point" and you already think you're the smart one here.....

As for my critique? The par 5, 2nd hole is usually spent trying to find your drive in the creek or plugged in the mud because it's always wet in the landing area. The 2 par 3's on the front are gimmicky wedge shots. The 12th hole is a driveable par 4, again, with an awful landing area. There are a bunch of unforgiving, longer par 4's but I don't know what's so special about them other than you can get in trouble if you push your drives right.

The people who like it, again, are cheapskates who have paid 20.00 with a cart after 5 pm to get as many holes as you can.....then justify it with the "great layout" line.

A. Because I live in Windsor, so try again pal/moron
B. We know you are condescending in every reply you post pertaining to anything Hartford, so we’ll fight fire with fire.

#2 - clearly could use some drainage improvements to reduce the wetness down by the creek (same with 12). Screwed this up during rebuild but neither really changes the hole other than your driver now goes 150 instead of 175.
#3 - literally a straight somewhat short par 3, not sure the gimmick you speak of.
#6 - yes the green has a ton of undulation but isn’t that why it’s a PW or less? If it were 175-200 it would be a fair argument.
Par 4s - so because they’re demanding and if you hit a bad shot you’re in trouble, it makes them bad holes? Literally every green presents the opportunity for a recovery shot running into the green. From the blue tees none are unreasonably long, based on Your comments I can’t imagine you’re playing tees any further back.

in addition, Rockledge, Topstone and Quarry Hills are not even remotely in the same class as Keney, Fairview and Timberlin (not sure of recent conditions there). Rockledge has potential but needs some serious updating, TLC.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom