Kemba Walker Third Team All-NBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kemba Walker Third Team All-NBA

Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts. Is there a more overrated player in the league than Paul George? I don't think there is a GM or a coach in the world that thinks Paul George is better than KD. The Thunder didn't really improve all that much with PG. 47 wins in 2017 (Westbrooks MVP year), 48 wins in 2018 (PG & Melo) and 49 wins in 2019 (PG and no Melo)

He's a finalist for MVP and a finalist for Defensive Player of the Year. Objectively its tough to say a guy who is top 3 on both sides of the ball can be overrated.

Reaction Score
He's a finalist for MVP and a finalist for Defensive Player of the Year. Objectively its tough to say a guy who is top 3 on both sides of the ball can be overrated.
Yeah the Boneyard is synonymous with bad NBA takes and that's one of the worst I've seen. PG was a top 10 player this year despite injuries and playing second fiddle to RWB.

Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts. Is there a more overrated player in the league than Paul George? I don't think there is a GM or a coach in the world that thinks Paul George is better than KD. The Thunder didn't really improve all that much with PG. 47 wins in 2017 (Westbrooks MVP year), 48 wins in 2018 (PG & Melo) and 49 wins in 2019 (PG and no Melo)
He likely doesn't even make the top 50 of players who are overrated in the NBA

Reaction Score
Yeah the Boneyard is synonymous with bad NBA takes and that's one of the worst I've seen. PG was a top 10 player this year despite injuries and playing second fiddle to RWB.

He’s not a top 10 player

Reaction Score
Trending up.

Reaction Score
Charlotte gets screwed either way they go singing him to super max or letting him walk for nothing. Should’ve traded him

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Huge news for Kemba and Charlotte. I can't see Kemba passing up the supermax, especially after his team friendly contract he had signed a few years ago. If I were Kemba, I would sign the supermax and figure out how to get traded afterwards.

How does this super max thing work?

Reaction Score
How does this super max thing work?
A supermax deal (35% of the current cap) can only be offered to a player that has (or will have) completed eight years of NBA service by the end of his current contract and can only be offered by the team that drafted him or traded for his rookie contract.
Then, a player must meet one of the following three criteria.
  • Be named to an All-NBA team in the most recent season or both seasons before it
  • OR, be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season or both seasons before it
  • OR, be named NBA MVP in any of the three previous seasons
For Kemba, this means the difference between any team other than Charlotte offering 4 years, 141mm and Charlotte offering 5 years 221mm. Before the supermax, Charlotte could have offered 5 years, 191mm. This is a big deal for Kemba!

Reaction Score
A supermax deal (35% of the current cap) can only be offered to a player that has (or will have) completed eight years of NBA service by the end of his current contract and can only be offered by the team that drafted him or traded for his rookie contract.
Then, a player must meet one of the following three criteria.
  • Be named to an All-NBA team in the most recent season or both seasons before it
  • OR, be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season or both seasons before it
  • OR, be named NBA MVP in any of the three previous seasons
For Kemba, this means the difference between any team other than Charlotte offering 4 years, 141mm and Charlotte offering 5 years 221mm. Before the supermax, Charlotte could have offered 5 years, 191mm. This is a big deal for Kemba!
Good explanation! The league introduced it as a way to help small markets keep their superstars. The thinking being that those small market teams would basically be able to make star players an offer they couldn't refuse, money-wise. It has had mixed results though. Has created some real albatross contracts (Wall, and Westbrook to a lesser extent) and a couple players have still turned down the money in favor of free agency (Kawhi, Anthony Davis).

Charlotte probably has the toughest decision of any team yet. As much as I love him, I don't think Kemba is worth 221 million on the free market. And Charlotte is a mediocre team that has a lot of bad contracts on the books already. It really seems like it would make more sense for Charlotte (or for both parties, really) to blow it up and try to get some good draft picks and young players. Trading Kemba last year for value would have made a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
Good explanation! The league introduced it as a way to help small markets keep their superstars.

If they really wanted to help small markets they shouldn't count the additional salary against their cap. (I assume they do now?)

Reaction Score
If they really wanted to help small markets they shouldn't count the additional salary against their cap. (I assume they do now?)
Yeah you are correct. There is some buzz that they may change that though. Not sure it will happen, but a lot of people are talking about it.

Reaction Score
He’s not a top 10 player

He was absolutely a top 10 player for this year.

He was a top 10 offensive guy and a top 5 defensive guy in one package.

His shoulder injury hurt his shooting numbers in March/April, but he was fantastic all year. Had 3 months of 60% TS% on 30% usage. Led the league in RPM, 5th in win shares, 4th by PIPM, led the league in steals.

Reaction Score
He was absolutely a top 10 player for this year.

He was a top 10 offensive guy and a top 5 defensive guy in one package.

His shoulder injury hurt his shooting numbers in March/April, but he was fantastic all year. Had 3 months of 60% TS% on 30% usage. Led the league in RPM, 5th in win shares, 4th by PIPM, led the league in steals.

I guess the numbers proved me wrong! I'm biased being an Indy fan.

Reaction Score
For those who didn't see Klay Thompson's reaction to finding out Kemba was voted All-NBA over him:

I like Klay. I think he's an underrated player who gets overshadowed by Steph and KD, but this reaction is ridiculous. His argument about making 5 straight finals is weak considering he's playing on one of the greatest teams ever constructed. He's also acting like Kemba is totally undeserving. Kemba was arguably the best PG in the Eastern Conference. At worst, #2 behind Kyrie. Without Kemba, the Hornets are a 15 win team rather than being in the hunt for the playoffs. If Klay wants to be highlighted in the league, he should leave the Warriors in free agency and go lead his own team next year.

Reaction Score
For those who didn't see Klay Thompson's reaction to finding out Kemba was voted All-NBA over him:

I like Klay. I think he's an underrated player who gets overshadowed by Steph and KD, but this reaction is ridiculous. His argument about making 5 straight finals is weak considering he's playing on one of the greatest teams ever constructed. He's also acting like Kemba is totally undeserving. Kemba was arguably the best PG in the Eastern Conference. At worst, #2 behind Kyrie. Without Kemba, the Hornets are a 15 win team rather than being in the hunt for the playoffs. If Klay wants to be highlighted in the league, he should leave the Warriors in free agency and go lead his own team next year.

Basketball is pretty easy when you're always being guarded by the worst player on the court and 2 of your teammates are constantly being double teamed. Could Klay lead the Hornets to 38 wins? Doubtful, that roster is garbage.

Reaction Score
Klay sacrifices a lot but I wouldn't have put him above Kemba this year. Kemba had his best year and Klay struggled for months at the start of the season. Definitely understand Klay's frustration but at the end of the day, he is in an amazing position. If he wants individual accolades, he can leave the Warriors this summer after the Finals.

Speaking of that, the Warriors organization has got to be happy Klay didn't get named All-NBA. It's going to be hard enough to deal with re-signing him to a max, with KD also being a free agent (Knicks plz) and Draymond's contract coming up. They definitely did not need him to be supermax eligible.

Reaction Score
Basketball is pretty easy when you're always being guarded by the worst player on the court and 2 of your teammates are constantly being double teamed. Could Klay lead the Hornets to 38 wins? Doubtful, that roster is garbage.

Would love to see how Klay performs when he is the focal point in an offense with minimal help like Kemba has had to deal with his entire career.

Reaction Score
Klay sacrifices a lot but I wouldn't have put him above Kemba this year. Kemba had his best year and Klay struggled for months at the start of the season.

Yeah this is pretty much the crux of it. Klay didn't deserve it this year.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious, Klay sacrifices his game more than any player in the league and always gets the toughest assignment on the defensive end. The real screwjob is this was the first all-defensive team he ever made.

Reaction Score
Klay sacrifices a lot but I wouldn't have put him above Kemba this year. Kemba had his best year and Klay struggled for months at the start of the season. Definitely understand Klay's frustration but at the end of the day, he is in an amazing position. If he wants individual accolades, he can leave the Warriors this summer after the Finals.

Speaking of that, the Warriors organization has got to be happy Klay didn't get named All-NBA. It's going to be hard enough to deal with re-signing him to a max, with KD also being a free agent (Knicks plz) and Draymond's contract coming up. They definitely did not need him to be supermax eligible.
Agree with everything except Klay only really struggled for the first 7 games of the season, after that he averaged over 22 ppg on 47% fg and 42% 3 point fg. And we all know about his defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom