Kemba being traded? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kemba being traded?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Stumbled upon this article.

According to The Athletic's Jared Weiss: "Multiple front-office sources across the NBA told The Athletic [last] week they still view Walker as having negative trade value should the team decide to go that route this offseason. That likely means a trade would cost the Celtics extra picks or assets to offload, even if Walker is universally admired for his relentlessly positive attitude and hard work through injury."

But sources still expect teams looking for a veteran scoring point guard to monitor Walker. The New York Knicks, who must make decisions on soon-to-be free-agent Derrick Rose's future and whether to start rookie sensation Immanuel Quickley, could be on that list. Walker said last year that the Knicks were one of his "top priorities" when he was a free agent in 2019.

Sources Say Boston Celtics and Kemba Walker Want a Breakup | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Reaction Score
"A source close to Walker said he was hurt by Boston's efforts to trade him, which created a rift in the Walker-Ainge relationship. Walker has a great relationship with his teammates and looked forward to being a veteran mentor to Tatum and Brown, but the same can't be said about Walker and the front office. He no longer feels wanted."

Reaction Score
What dies rift with Ainge matter, the dude was fired? Doesn’t it now come down to how Stevens feels about him? If not why would Stevens take the job?
I think the Cs main problem this year was 1 healthy big and secondary related issue was lack of toughness. Kemba was far from perfect, but spending draft picks to dump him will not help them. If they had drafted Thybulle to offset Kemba’s size and defense, their backcourt would be fine.

Even if Rob W is healthy they need 2 more PF/Cs.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What dies rift with Ainge matter, the dude was fired? Doesn’t it now come down to how Stevens feels about him? If not why would Stevens take the job?
I think the Cs main problem this year was 1 healthy big and secondary related issue was lack of toughness. Kemba was far from perfect, but spending draft picks to dump him will not help them. If they had drafted Thybulle to offset Kemba’s size and defense, their backcourt would be fine.

Even if Rob W is healthy they need 2 more PF/Cs.

They had bob theis and Thompson at c

Grant and Tatum at the 4

They just weren’t a good unit. Tt’s decline from CLE stayed. Theis regressed badly. And grant just has never been that good yet.

The problem is it’s now a slow ball stopping offense that is easy to defend, and Covid wreaked havoc on them

T

Reaction Score
They had bob theis and Thompson at c

Grant and Tatum at the 4

They just weren’t a good unit. Tt’s decline from CLE stayed. Theis regressed badly. And grant just has never been that good yet.

The problem is it’s now a slow ball stopping offense that is easy to defend, and Covid wreaked havoc on them

T
They traded Theis & Grant W is not good, in postseason it was literally just Thompson. RWill has unfortunately been injured every year of career & TT is at good bench guy stage. Needs are rebounding & run protection

the Q

Reaction Score
They traded Theis & Grant W is not good, in postseason it was literally just Thompson. RWill has unfortunately been injured every year of career & TT is at good bench guy stage. Needs are rebounding & run protection

But they stunk all year. Even when they all were healthy.

TT was a major mistake

Teague over Shabazz we all knew wasn’t smart ;)

I’m hoping they ducked the tax like this year cause they know they’re going over next year (and probably seasons after with bob and smart due extensions)

What do they need to do?

Their only positional need is a stretch 4 so they can’t play Tatum at the 3. Or they could trade for a Larry nance jr or jeramy grant and just start big and let starts play pg a little more.

They can get a 3rd c if possible or they could move tt for someone else’s bad contract

More depth on the wing isn’t bad

Moving kemba creates a starting pg hole, but wirh Pritchard and hopefully the Jewish guard they drafted last year who was tearing it up and chomping at the bit to get to the NBA they should have depth.

The 16th pick in this draft could be a nice value slot.

Or it could be just the piece they need to land say a Larry nance. Or it could be worth 2 of the 3 firsts that went into a jrue holiday deal. This would be where grant would come into play to some extent

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But they stunk all year. Even when they all were healthy.

TT was a major mistake

Teague over Shabazz we all knew wasn’t smart ;)

I’m hoping they ducked the tax like this year cause they know they’re going over next year (and probably seasons after with bob and smart due extensions)

What do they need to do?

Their only positional need is a stretch 4 so they can’t play Tatum at the 3. Or they could trade for a Larry nance jr or jeramy grant and just start big and let starts play pg a little more.

They can get a 3rd c if possible or they could move tt for someone else’s bad contract

More depth on the wing isn’t bad

Moving kemba creates a starting pg hole, but wirh Pritchard and hopefully the Jewish guard they drafted last year who was tearing it up and chomping at the bit to get to the NBA they should have depth.

The 16th pick in this draft could be a nice value slot.

Or it could be just the piece they need to land say a Larry nance. Or it could be worth 2 of the 3 firsts that went into a jrue holiday deal. This would be where grant would come into play to some extent

Nailed it. With Tatum at the 4, they are really vulnerable, especially on defense. It's fine to play that way some of the time, but they had to almost all of the time, and that is a problem. I think they thought TT would help, and 5 years ago he would have. Grant W is a decent 10 minute a game guy, that's it. They need an athletic, shot blocking stretch 4. That 2019 draft was terrible. Missing out on Herro by one spot, and Brandon Clarke by one at the other, and ending up with Langford and Grant W. I wanted Clarke at Langford's spot.

I do think they will be somewhat aggressive this offseason. But it's hard to predict. There will be more moves than trading Kemba.

the Q

Reaction Score
Nailed it. With Tatum at the 4, they are really vulnerable, especially on defense. It's fine to play that way some of the time, but they had to almost all of the time, and that is a problem. I think they thought TT would help, and 5 years ago he would have. Grant W is a decent 10 minute a game guy, that's it. They need an athletic, shot blocking stretch 4. That 2019 draft was terrible. Missing out on Herro by one spot, and Brandon Clarke by one at the other, and ending up with Langford and Grant W. I wanted Clarke at Langford's spot.

I do think they will be somewhat aggressive this offseason. But it's hard to predict. There will be more moves than trading Kemba.

They lost out on Herro by a coin flip.

Like I’ve been saying, after that nets trade the Celtics haven’t had much luck

But let’s not forget Herro isn’t the star he seemed to be in the bubble either. It says more about Romeo, who was a fair gamble imo. But it was wrist injury arbitrage more or less. He also hasn’t had a single offseason to work on his shot yet.

But dumping salary twice with first round picks left them without a few guys who could’ve really helped as well.

Clarke and thybulle we’re analytics darlings so it’s no surprise they ended up on the sixers and Memphis.

I’m not sure Boston has the assets now to land a 3rd star, they might need to find a way to Utah this thing and just load up in depth.

I’m really curious how Brad will draft since if it was Danny I’d expect jaylen Johnson or Zaire to have been the pick at 16.

That 2019 draft would’ve been a good time to use those assets to move up as well. I can’t say the same with 2020 since the pelicans and suns let nesmith fall to them, and he was the last player in that tier.

I’m really curious if Brad hangs into bob since he never seemed to trust him as a coach

And speaking of coaches, that outside candidate list is really really weak imo. I wouldn’t hate Ham though. He turned down his alma mater to take a shot at an NBA gig. He’s worked his tail off to get here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the Celtics are toast for the foreseeable future. I can't see how they add talent and I can't see where Brad has the goods to construct a team.

Reaction Score
Kemba at this point has negative trade value, so he C's would have to attach players, picks, or both to get rid of him.

If I were the Knicks I'd ask for Boston's #1 pick in the 2021 draft plus their #1 in the 2023 draft and maybe swap rights in '22 as well. His knee is a mess and that contract is one of the worst in the NBA.

the Q

Reaction Score
Kemba at this point has negative trade value, so he C's would have to attach players, picks, or both to get rid of him.

If I were the Knicks I'd ask for Boston's #1 pick in the 2021 draft plus their #1 in the 2023 draft and maybe swap rights in '22 as well. His knee is a mess and that contract is one of the worst in the NBA.

brad better to them to duck off if that’s the offer

Reaction Score
I think the Celtics are toast for the foreseeable future. I can't see how they add talent and I can't see where Brad has the goods to construct a team.
Do you mean "the goods" as in assets to use to build a team or the personal qualities of basketball savant Brad Stevens?

I don't agree with either, but I'm curious all the same.

Reaction Score
brad better to them to duck off if that’s the offer
Except that may be one of the more lenient ones. You can bet other teams will ask for Pritchard, TimeLord, Nesmith et. al. PLUS a first/firsts/swap for the trouble.

I predict they don't move him and he is benched by the middle of the season with Pritchard taking his place. Seems like the most logical step here.

One other caveat is what happens with Smart. I don't think he's on the team next season but the Walker mess complicates that.

the Q

Reaction Score
Except that may be one of the more lenient ones. You can bet other teams will ask for Pritchard, TimeLord, Nesmith et. al. PLUS a first/firsts/swap for the trouble.

I predict they don't move him and he is benched by the middle of the season with Pritchard taking his place. Seems like the most logical step here.

One other caveat is what happens with Smart. I don't think he's on the team next season but the Walker mess complicates that.

he was still a top 50 player in bpm ahead of guys like middleton, lowry, and Jamal murray.

with blow by rates better than even his peak in Charlotte, there’s something left in the tank.

but if teams want to get stupid like that, hou just ride it out, add depth with exceptions and picks and go to more of the Utah model. Two stars and try to load up on depth

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not to rehash past ridiculousness (well, yes. I guess it is...), but two years have elapsed since some here would not have bet against Kemba being enshrined in Springfield.

Of course that was with the caveat that he needed 7 or 8 hall of fame caliber seasons over the (then) next 7-8 seasons. Now that he needs 7-8 hall of fame caliber season within the next 5 or 6 post-prime seasons, Is it safe to make that bet?

Reaction Score
Is Kemba's knee beyond repair so it's a chronic condition...or will an off season surgery/rest ameliorate the problem?

Reaction Score
Is Kemba's knee beyond repair so it's a chronic condition...or will an off season surgery/rest ameliorate the problem?
I think he has a bone-on-bone issue related to meniscus tears over the years. I saw him mention that he was looking forward to an offseason of rest but the break b/w the Covid pause and the bubble start-up in 2020 was longer than a normal offseason and he showed up to the bubble with knee issues, so I don't know what an offseason of rest will do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think he has a bone-on-bone issue related to meniscus tears over the years. I saw him mention that he was looking forward to an offseason of rest but the break b/w the Covid pause and the bubble start-up in 2020 was longer than a normal offseason and he showed up to the bubble with knee issues, so I don't know what an offseason of rest will do.
Saw something last year that its an arthritic condition. Bone on bone sounds consistent. Surgery likely means the end of his career. No Hall of Fame, but I'd imagine the bet would be off the board at that point.

Reaction Score
Not to rehash past ridiculousness (well, yes. I guess it is...), but two years have elapsed since some here would not have bet against Kemba being enshrined in Springfield.

Of course that was with the caveat that he needed 7 or 8 hall of fame caliber seasons over the (then) next 7-8 seasons. Now that he needs 7-8 hall of fame caliber season within the next 5 or 6 post-prime seasons, Is it safe to make that bet?
I don't think he was ever going to get in.......but if he won a championship with the celtics, the argument could be made that the nba championship along with what he did in 2011 was so special that it could have almost alone made him a candidate. However, college careers, while part of the criteria, don't seemed to be weighed heavily at all in recent years.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

That's ridiculous. It's a two year contract. It's not close to worst in the NBA. If his knee finally heals it isn't a bad contract at all. There is no chance they surrender much to move him, because they'd be better off just keeping him. There isn't anybody to sign out there anyway. Aside from Kawhi, who isn't coming to Boston, who moves the needle from this list? 2021 NBA Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Bring Yam Madar back from Israel, dump some useless guys, draft a stretch 4 and go from there. WATCH: Yam Madar gets career-high 29 points, 6 assists vs. Beer Sheva (usatoday.com) They still have the MLE as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
he was still a top 50 player in bpm ahead of guys like middleton, lowry, and Jamal murray.

with blow by rates better than even his peak in Charlotte, there’s something left in the tank.

but if teams want to get stupid like that, hou just ride it out, add depth with exceptions and picks and go to more of the Utah model. Two stars and try to load up on depth

Yep. And you never know who becomes a "star". Nesmith still can. The PG from Israel? Who knows? Time Lord a star? Probably not, but a top ten center, yeah that's possible with health. Whoever they draft at 16 this year can become a star. Tatum is just 23. Brown 24. Williams 23. There is no urgency requiring a sacrifice of the future. Marcus Smart seems like he's been around forever, and even he is 27.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Grant Williams is not built for the new NBA. You need athletic players who can guard multiple positions and shoot the rock. He seems too small and stiff for my eyes and his shooting is OK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom