Kelsey Plum!!!!!! | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum!!!!!!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Great accomplishment.
Where does she rank among all time best players?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Scorers or players? Two different things.
She has most points. So I was asking about best players. Taurasi, Maya, Parker, Holdsclaw, Miller, and Stewart. Is she in that elite company as a player?

Reaction Score
She has most points. So I was asking about best players. Taurasi, Maya, Parker, Holdsclaw, Miller, and Stewart. Is she in that elite company as a player?
No. Probably not even in the second tier.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
See the Washington game thread.

Washington's final home game

She had 57 and passed the Jackie Stiles career scoring mark.

Congrats to Kelsey!
Great stuff! Glad you didn't put this as "OT". To me, anything related to WCBB, even if not UCONN, is NOT OT, but rather part of what this board is for.

Congrats to Kelsey. This will be a hard record for anyone else to break - she still has a good number of games left this year. Jackie Stiles record has stood for 16 years. What a tremendous individual accomplishment, especially given that she gets defended by the opposing teams' best defender every game...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
All of those players were able to give transcendent performances when the lights went on, and then lead their teams to national championships. So the evidentiary answer is, hell no.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Definitely NPOY. The question now is whether as a pro she'll be willing to play 1B or 1C to someone elses 1A in order for the team to win a championship(s).

Reaction Score
Incredible! She seems like a really cool kid too. Their Tournament run last year was amazing. She definitely is the player of the year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Great stuff! Glad you didn't put this as "OT". To me, anything related to WCBB, even if not UCONN, is NOT OT, but rather part of what this board is for.

Congrats to Kelsey. This will be a hard record for anyone else to break - she still has a good number of games left this year. Jackie Stiles record has stood for 16 years. What a tremendous individual accomplishment, especially given that she gets defended by the opposing teams' best defender every game...

I paid attention a few months back when a moderator (forget which one) said that the "OT" designation was being overused and that any WCBB-related topic is not OT.

Kelsey Mitchell has a shot at breaking the record if she stays for her senior year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell has a shot at breaking the record if she stays for her senior year.

Mitchell was well ahead of Plum's pace thru her first two seasons. This year Mitchell is scoring less than Plum did as a Jr. And I have a really hard time seeing Mitchell do during her Sr. year what Plum has done. It could be close, but I think Mitchell will come up a little short.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Announcers also mentioned she was about 28 free throws made from the all time record. I know she made a few after they mentioned it. So somewhere between 20-25 needed.
However she is at 89.6 percent and 90 is still in reach.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
However she is at 89.6 percent and 90 is still in reach.

She's been just under 90% for a while and just can't quite get over the hump. Basically can't miss any FTs if she's going to hit that mark. Went 13-16 today and dropped her percentage.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
When I saw the headline on ESPNW, my Holy was so loud I scared the cats and my wife was at least addled.

No. Probably not even in the second tier.

I disagree with the second tier remark. And if the question were, Where does her season (as opposed to career) stand, I'd say very much in the top tier.

Reaction Score
When I saw the headline on ESPNW, my Holy was so loud I scared the cats and my wife was at least addled.

I disagree with the second tier remark. And if the question were, Where does her season (as opposed to career) stand, I'd say very much in the top tier.
Nope. There's more to being a great basketball player than just scoring points. Where is Jackie Stiles today? Where do people rank her? You almost never hear her name mentioned when talking about the all-time greats.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum is a little monster...and I mean that in the most admiring way. :D

Looking forward to see what she does in the tournament (though hopefully she doesn't go off for 50 if they play UConn), and even more what she'll do in the pros.

Reaction Score
I was at Walmart today and Jackie Stiles was the clerk in checkout line #8!

Reaction Score
Jackie Stiles was a great college player, one of the best i have ever seen. She shot the ball and drove to the basket like the men do. Her FG% was over 50% every year she played. So, where did she go? She was rookie of the year in the WNBA and was on her way to a great career when an achilles heal injury plus many others effectively ended her career before it started. Plum needed almost 300 more shots to break her record.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Nope. There's more to being a great basketball player than just scoring points. Where is Jackie Stiles today? Where do people rank her? You almost never hear her name mentioned when talking about the all-time greats.

From Wiki: Jackie Stiles pro career started promisingly. In the 2001 WNBA Draft, she was selected fourth overall by the Portland Fire, and was later voted the Rookie of the Year on August 16, 2001. But since that high point, Stiles has suffered numerous injuries, including 13 surgeries, which greatly hampered her WNBA career.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Plum is going to have a very good WNBA career. She is a decent or better defender, big time scorer, and solidly built enough to fight for a rebound and take the higher level of physical contact that is allowed. An added plus is her marketability and opportunity for commercial rep stuff.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum is amazing. Without question the best scorer to come out of the PAC 8/10/12. She can be slowed down though. OSU's Gabby Hanson has played her very well, and defensive scheme OSU uses is to force her into the middle where she has to change her shot against 6' 3 + shot blockers. Even then, she is flat out the best offensive player in the country--no contest.

And, she will be a terrific pro player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom