Kassoum Yakwe official visit | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kassoum Yakwe official visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. . . .they want to go to the NCAA tournament and this doesn’t look like the place to do that right now.

This is gonna take time.
Much respect for the BY king.
But I disagree completely.
This won't take much time.
These young men play for the man, and only to a lesser extent the institution and the conference.
Butler, Gonzaga, Jim Calhoun, Shaka Smart, Po (the teletuby).
This is a cult of personality.

DH turns this around like Vin Diesel jack-knifing a truck at 90 MPH in FANDF 17.

I'm thinking tourni bubble team and we're in next year.
I'm thinking solid tourni team the next.
And I'm thinking FF team potential (even if not realized a la JC) within 5 years.

Our program is that established, DH is that good, and, of course, the MOJO runs deep here.

Mark it.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
So based on this logic and seeing who we have offered in 2019 we should go after:

Josh Nickelberry (Louisville, N.C. State, North Carolina, Xavier, Auburn, Baylor, Florida, Florida State and more)
Scottie Lewis (Duke, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Villanova, North Carolina and more)
Josh Green (Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, Virginia, Arizona State, Cal, and more)
Akok Akok (Providence, Creighton, Lousiville, N.C. State, Rhode Island, Syracuse and more)
John Bol Ajak (Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Villanova, Seton Hall, and more)
Kofi Cockburn (Cincinnati, St. John's, Syracuse, Auburn, Cal, Creighton, Oregon, Indiana, UCLA and more)
Jalen Lecque (Auburn, Baylor, Florida, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, Oregon, Syracuse, Texas and more)
Isaiah Wong (Cincinnati, Memphis, Miami, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, Villanova and more)

And pass on:

James Bouknight (Central Connecticut State, DePaul, Kansas State, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Rhode Island and more)
Khalif Battle (Miami (FL), Rutgers, Saint Joseph's, VCU, Washington)
Au'Diese Toney (Charlotte, Hampton, Kansas State, UAB, VCU, Virginia Tech)
Jaiden Delaire (Columbia, Hofstra, Iona, Kansas State, Massachusetts, Rider, Rutgers, Towson and more)
Tre Mitchell (Canisius, Central Connecticut State, Illinois, Manhattan, Rhode Island, Vanderbilt, Yale and more)
Sherif Kenney (Boston College, DePaul, Penn State, Rutgers, USF, Kansas State, Arizona State)

Toss-up?:

Paul Mulcahy (Boston College, Florida, Marquette, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Xavier and more)
Tyrese Samuel (Kansas State, Wichita State, Baylor, Canisius, East Carolina, Old Dominion, Towson and more)
I mean you don't have to take it literally. I think the point was that it's a good sign if other decent schools are after Yakwe, rather than if he were being chased by only CCSU, Canisius and Fairfield. That doesn't mean we have to pass on everyone being chased by some low end schools.

Also teams are semi-desperate at this point in the season to fill out their rosters so that's why there are a lot of big schools in on a lot of people right now.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure people are fully cognizant of just how much damage Ollie did to the school’s rep in recruiting circles over the past few years. And these grad transfers have one year to play and they didn’t miss the fact that UConn has had two straight years under .500....they want to go to the NCAA tournament and this doesn’t look like the place to do that right now.

This is gonna take time.

This is an enormous cop out.

Reaction Score
Not sure I buy the list of schools theory. Who went after Jeremy Lamb? Josh Boone?

In football it certainly doesn't work. Seems Edsall missed when he landed a bunch of kids with great offers, and then he sent kids with no other D1 offer to the NFL.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not sure I buy the list of schools theory. Who went after Jeremy Lamb? Josh Boone?

In football it certainly doesn't work. Seems Edsall missed when he landed a bunch of kids with great offers, and then he sent kids with no other D1 offer to the NFL.

It works far more often than it doesn’t.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Football is a whole different monster though. So many players and people involved.

Basketball is fairly reliable. Sometimes you can get in early on a late bloomer, which would throw it off...but if a bunch of strong schools are interested, it's a good idea to be interested.

Reaction Score
you must live in a monumentally different reality than the rest of us

Nah. Some of you are pathological when it comes to "the former head coach" and others just don't seem to have a great grasp on how college basketball works.

A) Color me skeptical that anyone gives a flying eph about the "school's rep" when it comes to recruiting. We have an entirely new staff.

B) If it doesn't seem like UConn is the place for recruits to go then it is literally the coaches job to change that. The idea that Hurley is taking over the Marshall football program post Flight 932 is Santa Clause type stuff. He's a damn good coach that didn't come here to play around for a year while the boneyard fastened the training wheels. He's a big boy coach who should be able to take what's left of the Ollie disaster, add some pieces, and show us a real basketball team right off the bat.

Reaction Score
Niels?

He does hold the record for highest 3P% in a season in UConn MBB history -- pretty remarkable to think about that considering the guys that have come through the program

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Brimah was also ranked very low.

Reaction Score
The idea that Hurley is taking over the Marshall football program post Flight 932 is Santa Clause type stuff.
That's too much hyperbole. It's late in the process, Hurley is plugging the holes. We've got Cobb and Whaley, and enough guards/forwards that we can go small and move Diarra to the 5. We're looking for a 3rd/4th string center for a team coming off 2 losing seasons. That's the reality. Whatever this kid would bring to the table, do you really think Kisunas was a significant upgrade?

He needs a role player at the 5. Landing a role player from the Big East isn't a total fail. He doesn't excite anyone, but he fills a need for one year while Hurley targets HS kids so he can build his program.
He's a big boy coach who should be able to take what's left of the Ollie disaster, add some pieces, and show us a real basketball team right off the bat.
Isn't this the first time in 3 years we're bringing back more than 2-3 guys that played significant minutes? If they buy-in, and the chemistry is there Hurley will get this team to compete. We should see better basketball and I expect us to be a bubble team, what do you expect?

Reaction Score
That's too much hyperbole. It's late in the process, Hurley is plugging the holes. We've got Cobb and Whaley, and enough guards/forwards that we can go small and move Diarra to the 5. We're looking for a 3rd/4th string center for a team coming off 2 losing seasons. That's the reality. Whatever this kid would bring to the table, do you really think Kisunas was a significant upgrade?

He needs a role player at the 5. Landing a role player from the Big East isn't a total fail. He doesn't excite anyone, but he fills a need for one year while Hurley targets HS kids so he can build his program.

Isn't this the first time in 3 years we're bringing back more than 2-3 guys that played significant minutes? If they buy-in, and the chemistry is there Hurley will get this team to compete. We should see better basketball and I expect us to be a bubble team, what do you expect?

I don't disagree with any of that, and I think my sense of urgency stems from the belief that we're closer than most think. To me, we're one player short right now, and while I think the additions of Yakwe, Adams, and Smith make us better, none of them are that one guy. I don't expect Hurley to completely transform the roster right away, but I think an immediate resurgence is very much in play provided Adams returns for the reason that it really doesn't take much in college basketball. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if year one of Hurley's tenure turns out to be the best season of his first couple years. A patchwork roster of Ollie holdovers like Adams, grad transfers, and new guys could conceivably launch us into the top 25 before taking a step back the next year or two while Hurley replenishes the overall talent in the pipeline. Where Ollie's recruiting sabbatical will really hurt us won't be next year, but the year or two after that. I could easily envision a scenario where Adams comes back, Lecque re-classifies, and then both are gone the following year and now the chickens have come home to roost.

Reaction Score
This is an enormous cop out.

Did you not watch the colossal shitshow that was on display for the past 2 seasons? The whole culture, work ethic and pride of the program needs to be rebuilt. That is not going to happen overnight, but significant strides should be evident after 2 or 3 seasons. By year 3 UConn should be a mainstay in the NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
If you’re talking about guys that were on no one’s radar, probably Gavin Edwards. Even Griffey had some options...Edwards had interest from just Southern Utah when he committed.
So generally speaking we shouldn’t be looking to bring on scholarship players outside this range

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of that, and I think my sense of urgency stems from the belief that we're closer than most think. To me, we're one player short right now, and while I think the additions of Yakwe, Adams, and Smith make us better, none of them are that one guy. I don't expect Hurley to completely transform the roster right away, but I think an immediate resurgence is very much in play provided Adams returns for the reason that it really doesn't take much in college basketball. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if year one of Hurley's tenure turns out to be the best season of his first couple years. A patchwork roster of Ollie holdovers like Adams, grad transfers, and new guys could conceivably launch us into the top 25 before taking a step back the next year or two while Hurley replenishes the overall talent in the pipeline. Where Ollie's recruiting sabbatical will really hurt us won't be next year, but the year or two after that. I could easily envision a scenario where Adams comes back, Lecque re-classifies, and then both are gone the following year and now the chickens have come home to roost.

The thing is, we have enough young players that, as long as they develop, should keep us a good team in 2019-2020. So even if Gilbert never fully recovers, Jalen leaves, and we don't get a stud in this year, we should be pretty good in 19-20 so long as Hurley has a good 2019 recruiting class. He's got enough time to do that, so if he has a weak class then he can and should be criticized for not delivering the goods. This recruiting year, however, he definitely gets a pass.

Reaction Score
Much respect for the BY king.
But I disagree completely.
This won't take much time.
These young men play for the man, and only to a lesser extent the institution and the conference.
Butler, Gonzaga, Jim Calhoun, Shaka Smart, Po (the teletuby).
This is a cult of personality.

Dan Hurley turns this around like Vin Diesel jack-knifing a truck at 90 MPH in FANDF 17.

I'm thinking tourni bubble team and we're in next year.
I'm thinking solid tourni team the next.
And I'm thinking FF team potential (even if not realized a la JC) within 5 years.

Our program is that established, Dan Hurley is that good, and, of course, the MOJO runs deep here.

Mark it.

FF potential in 5 years?! I applaud your optimism!

Reaction Score
I mean you don't have to take it literally. I think the point was that it's a good sign if other decent schools are after Yakwe, rather than if he were being chased by only CCSU, Canisius and Fairfield. That doesn't mean we have to pass on everyone being chased by some low end schools.

Also teams are semi-desperate at this point in the season to fill out their rosters so that's why there are a lot of big schools in on a lot of people right now.

Makes sense. I honestly didn't think of looking at the schools they were being pursued by...big mental gap there for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom