Karaban is enrolled at UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Karaban is enrolled at UConn

Reaction Score
I think he will definitely be a major contributor day one. Body and game are much more ready than any of the current freshman, and minutes at the 3/4 will be available especially if Tyrese leaves.

Very true. While he isn't athletic, the IQ and shooting will ease his transition for sure. I'm always going to be hesitant about a freshman's impact is all (even 5* players) Especially after I was a little too bullish on Hawkins and probably got people's hopes up unnecessarily.

Reaction Score
I'm bullish as everybody knows. My own view is that Karaban should be a major impact player and define the team the way that Harangody, Troy Murphy, Tyler Hansbrough, Billy Curley, Pittsnogle, and others have defined era's for their college teams. All had NBA limitations but carried college teams. The positions and styles are not all the same, but offense ran through them making decisions with the ball, and they all scored at multiple levels. He'll be especially effective when he has other scorers that reduce his need to make every play. In my very first post about him I referenced a Giffey BBQ as a senior. He brings everything that Giffey did, but with an alpha mentality that has him seek shots, initiate action, and direct teammates. Giffey let the game come to him as a role player, and didn't define UConn, but was good enough to be a key to a championship, and, play pro ball at a European championship level.

Things I would point to:
100% foul shooting at Peach Jam I think on over 30 attempts
Peach Jam second team with the highest level competition - (FYI Akinjo was MVP and now Baylor)
Pangos Camp top 100 and makes cream of the crop game
Pangos Camp 'all star' cream of the crop game makes 7 3's in a row to claw team to win that was down big
NEPSAC championship game mvp
A deep shooting highlight reel that I have witnessed on a regular basis
Watched him defend the perimeter against Matt Cross & Kadray Richmond at Brewster
Watched him defend the post against 3 Putnam Science 7 footers
Watched him go end to end with the ball regularly - he can handle fine
Played with @HooperScooper 's son in middle school
Gives thoughtful interviews
Is a winner

He has been the primary option and sometimes the only option on his teams. Occasionally, that has lead to putting up a deep shot too early in the shot clock where at UConn we'd prefer to run more offense first.

I'll die if he is a freshman bench casualty.
I'm willing to eat crow of being too optimistic.
Head firmly in chopping block.
Will be fun to watch him evolve and see how it plays out. From a playing style perspective only.. Not results.. Not awards or NBA championships.. Strictly style.. Kind of reminds me a little bit of CBB Larry B in that he appears to have an advanced BB IQ/maturity.. Plays below the rim.. Good floor game.. Is a good teammate and makes the team around him better.. Bucket-getter without crazy athleticism.

Time will tell. Glad he came early. Everyone wins with that decision.

Reaction Score
Will be fun to watch him evolve and see how it plays out. From a playing style perspective only.. Not results.. Not awards or NBA championships.. Strictly style.. Kind of reminds me a little bit of CBB Larry B in that he appears to have an advanced BB IQ/maturity.. Plays below the rim.. Good floor game.. Is a good teammate and makes the team around him better.. Bucket-getter without crazy athleticism.

Time will tell. Glad he came early. Everyone wins with that decision.
Bird is one of the biggest freaks of all-time, one of the best players of all-time, and he was a 6'10 ambidextrous basketball savant. Let's not name every great white player and compare Karaban to him. Karaban will bring something to our team we haven't had recently but don't expect any of Larry's vision/passing or any of Larry's game. He doesn't play like him.

Reaction Score
My expectation is that Karaban will be a more well rounded player than Polley. As we all know, Polley offers very little other than outside shooting, and his shooting is very streaky. I expect Karaban to be more consistent, with maybe less high highs and less low lows.
I agree, he will be a more consistent shooter than Polley.

Reaction Score
Bird is one of the biggest freaks of all-time, one of the best players of all-time, and he was a 6'10 ambidextrous basketball savant. Let's not name every great white player and compare Karaban to him. Karaban will bring something to our team we haven't had recently but don't expect any of Larry's vision/passing or any of Larry's game. He doesn't play like him.
I'm familiar with his game.. As I mentioned.. A CBB version re: playing style based on some preliminary tape on AK and articles recently written about him.

I'll just leave it at that. BTW. .Never thought of him as a "freak" .Just very accomplished at his craft.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Exactly. He's a lot more like Paul Pierce. Either way we've got a future HOFer right? ;)

Reaction Score
Exactly. He's a lot more like Paul Pierce. Either way we've got a future HOFer right? ;)
You guys are killin' me.. I used specific words about specific talents at a college level. AK is prob 18.. If you read Ricker's assessments and use some objectivity.. Perhaps you could see my point.

I know some Yarders like to pile on and take poetic license on what they think was said.. In this case.. Way off base.. Not comparing his skill set to a HOFer.. Talking about a skill level at 18.. Perhaps you never saw Bird at 18/19

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From the two videos his moves seem to be a little sluggish. I hope he can get his shot off quicker against D1 defenders. He might need time to get up to the speed of the college game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bird is one of the biggest freaks of all-time, one of the best players of all-time, and he was a 6'10 ambidextrous basketball savant. Let's not name every great white player and compare Karaban to him Karaban will bring something to our team we haven't had recently but don't expect any of Larry's vision/passing or any of Larry's game. He doesn't play like him.
Can you point me to any other thread(s) in which someone either "name(d) every great white player" or "compared Karaban to" [them]?

I'm trying to assess whether your sentence was or wasn't the kind of overreach you were suggesting shouldn't be done.

If it hasn't been brought up before, why did you bring it up here? If it has been brought up, I'd like to see who else was mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
From the two videos his moves seem to be a little sluggish. I hope he can get his shot off quicker against D1 defenders. He might need time to get up to the speed of the college game.

To me it seems like his release is pretty quick, but he's got a low release and is barely leaving the floor. Can't read too much into clips though.

Reaction Score
Just what we need. A bunch of armchair morons trying to analyze a guy who’s months away from actuality contributing off a few seconds of footage.

Good god

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom