Karaban is enrolled at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karaban is enrolled at UConn

Reaction Score
Does he lose a year of eligibility as a result of practicing w/the team? What are the applicable rules here?

Reaction Score
Does he lose a year of eligibility as a result of practicing w/the team? What are the applicable rules here?
No this will be his redshirt year and he'll have 4 years of eligibility starting next fall

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have five years to use four years of eligibility, so no.

Reaction Score
I've read a lot of Polley comparisons here.

Is it fair to expect that Karaban's floor is Polley's four-year tenure? Long shooter who averages 7-9 ppg?

I've never watched Karaban play before, but Karaban is a solid 100 spots ahead of Polley's HS rankings.

@husky429 and other HS experts, what do you think?

Reaction Score
My expectation is that Karaban will be a more well rounded player than Polley. As we all know, Polley offers very little other than outside shooting, and his shooting is very streaky. I expect Karaban to be more consistent, with maybe less high highs and less low lows.

Reaction Score

Is it fair to expect that Karaban's floor is Polley's four-year tenure? Long shooter who averages 7-9 ppg?

I've never watched Karaban play before, but Karaban is a solid 100 spots ahead of Polley's HS rankings.

Karaban also has a post up game and other ways to score. I can’t speak to his defense or rebounding, but tough to imagine them not being better than Polley.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL, this picture reminds me of Bob Cousy.
86FCD680-3738-472F-A4FB-843D87E5CC26.jpeg

He looks like he could be playing in the 1950s.

Reaction Score

Not a Polley clone at all IMO.

Karaban is a jack of all trades at 6'7. Handles is decent, okay passer. Not as athletic as our current wings, but has a higher IQ at the same stage, and is a better shooter. He should be able to post up pretty well on mismatches too (like we see Rese doing a lot).

Can't say he'll be a bigtime contributor day one, but this extra time on campus sure won't hurt.

Reaction Score
I'm bullish as everybody knows. My own view is that Karaban should be a major impact player and define the team the way that Harangody, Troy Murphy, Tyler Hansbrough, Billy Curley, Pittsnogle, and others have defined era's for their college teams. All had NBA limitations but carried college teams. The positions and styles are not all the same, but offense ran through them making decisions with the ball, and they all scored at multiple levels. He'll be especially effective when he has other scorers that reduce his need to make every play. In my very first post about him I referenced a Giffey BBIQ as a senior. He brings everything that Giffey did, but with an alpha mentality that has him seek shots, initiate action, and direct teammates. Giffey let the game come to him as a role player, and didn't define UConn, but was good enough to be a key to a championship, and, play pro ball at a European championship level.

Things I would point to:
100% foul shooting at Peach Jam I think on over 30 attempts
Peach Jam second team with the highest level competition - (FYI Akinjo was MVP and now Baylor)
Pangos Camp top 100 and makes cream of the crop game
Pangos Camp 'all star' cream of the crop game makes 7 3's in a row to claw team to win that was down big
NEPSAC championship game mvp
A deep shooting highlight reel that I have witnessed on a regular basis
Watched him defend the perimeter against Matt Cross & Kadray Richmond at Brewster
Watched him defend the post against 3 Putnam Science 7 footers
Watched him go end to end with the ball regularly - he can handle fine
Played with @HooperScooper 's son in middle school
Gives thoughtful interviews
Is a winner

He has been the primary option and sometimes the only option on his teams. Occasionally, that has lead to putting up a deep shot too early in the shot clock where at UConn we'd prefer to run more offense first.

I'll die if he is a freshman bench casualty.
I'm willing to eat crow of being too optimistic.
Head firmly in chopping block.

Reaction Score
He will get a lot stronger now that he’s on campus already, but he looks a lot more physical than any of our freshman this year already (minus Floyd). So that shouldn’t keep him from getting on the court

Reaction Score
I'm bullish as everybody knows. My own view is that Karaban should be a major impact player and define the team the way that Harangody, Troy Murphy, Tyler Hansbrough, Billy Curley, Pittsnogle, and others have defined era's for their college teams. All had NBA limitations but carried college teams. The positions and styles are not all the same, but offense ran through them making decisions with the ball, and they all scored at multiple levels. He'll be especially effective when he has other scorers that reduce his need to make every play. In my very first post about him I referenced a Giffey BBQ as a senior. He brings everything that Giffey did, but with an alpha mentality that has him seek shots, initiate action, and direct teammates. Giffey let the game come to him as a role player, and didn't define UConn, but was good enough to be a key to a championship, and, play pro ball at a European championship level.

Things I would point to:
100% foul shooting at Peach Jam I think on over 30 attempts
Peach Jam second team with the highest level competition - (FYI Akinjo was MVP and now Baylor)
Pangos Camp top 100 and makes cream of the crop game
Pangos Camp 'all star' cream of the crop game makes 7 3's in a row to claw team to win that was down big
NEPSAC championship game mvp
A deep shooting highlight reel that I have witnessed on a regular basis
Watched him defend the perimeter against Matt Cross & Kadray Richmond at Brewster
Watched him defend the post against 3 Putnam Science 7 footers
Watched him go end to end with the ball regularly - he can handle fine
Played with @HooperScooper 's son in middle school
Gives thoughtful interviews
Is a winner

He has been the primary option and sometimes the only option on his teams. Occasionally, that has lead to putting up a deep shot too early in the shot clock where at UConn we'd prefer to run more offense first.

I'll die if he is a freshman bench casualty.
I'm willing to eat crow of being too optimistic.
Head firmly in chopping block.
If he plays like those guys we should be cutting down the nets with the talent that will surround him.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Jimmy Chitwood
I don’t see it but he’s definitely got the look from that era.

CL82

Reaction Score
chitwood.jpg

The stance reminded me of this
I remembered that exact scene.

Fwiw, Even though he’s got some size, he’s really going to benefit from being in a strength and conditioning program for six months before playing college ball.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
alex, now, is way better than typo was, is, and will ever be.
not even close. pops sez that alex feels a bit like that hondo guy on the c's back then.
pops is never wrong, or so he tells me.

Reaction Score
Not a Polley clone at all IMO.

Karaban is a jack of all trades at 6'7. Handles is decent, okay passer. Not as athletic as our current wings, but has a higher IQ at the same stage, and is a better shooter. He should be able to post up pretty well on mismatches too (like we see Rese doing a lot).

Can't say he'll be a bigtime contributor day one, but this extra time on campus sure won't hurt.
I think he will definitely be a major contributor day one. Body and game are much more ready than any of the current freshman, and minutes at the 3/4 will be available especially if Tyrese leaves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom