Karaban Has Passing Skills | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karaban Has Passing Skills

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
As a rabid Karaban fan, it annoys me to have him get lesser stats than he earns on the court. Not sure I understand why the box scores for the BU game are different at CBS website vs Huskies website, and which stats will be 'official' for Karaban's career. I would have thought there would be 1 source for this stuff. In the post game presser Hurley read Karaban's line and said 2 RBs and that we need more than that from him on the boards. The CBS website says 2 RBs. The Huskies website says 2 offensive and 2 defensive rebounds for a total of 4. Both websites say 4 assists. The highlight clip posted in another thread clearly has 5 assists highlighted. Rewatching the game there were 3 offensive and a defensive rebound = 4 RB.

first Half
@14:13 Offensive Rebound Karaban put back for 2 and was fouled
@12:35 Offensive Rebound with assist pass underneath to Clingan for a jam
second half
@19:27 Entry assist to Sanogo
@16:19 Defensive RB
@12:45 Assist to Sanogo
@ 6:46 Assist to Sanogo
@ 5:35 Offensive Rebound assist to Newton for a 3

Definitely odd that there’s this much disparity in one game’s stats.

Reaction Score
very excited to watch him play .... but i'm sure i read somewhere on the board that he would make all his free throws. 6-9 is not acceptable /s

i still catch myself thinking about next season: Karaban, Clingan, Alleyne (to play 1 year with Castle), Diarra, Samson, Springs, Roumoglou and the Fab 5
6 of 9 FT's is higher than the team average - which is barely over 60%. Any many of those made free throws rattled around and fell thru.

They just don't look smooth and confident at the line. Hope it turns around. UCONN's 2014 run was at least in part due to the fact that they were near perfect at the line in crunch time. In that run John Calipari was asked why he didn't foul when trailing by a few points late in the game - "because they never miss"

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It’s funny because Henefeld just popped into my head today thinking about Karaban! And that is a very good thing.
Same here, was thinking that during the game. Other than Nadav’s steals anchoring the full court press they appear to have very similar games and a strikingly similar maturity on the court.

Reaction Score
We look so much better when he’s on the floor. Very “old” freshman; redshirting with a veteran team last year and playing against the best high school competition. High IQ player.
To think Karaban might stick around for four years sounds yummy.

Reaction Score
During the BU game I was thinking that Karaban just looks like he knows what he's doing. I don't know how to describe it other than that. I think he might just be scratching the surface here so far.

pj

Reaction Score
As a rabid Karaban fan, it annoys me to have him get lesser stats than he earns on the court. Not sure I understand why the box scores for the BU game are different at CBS website vs Huskies website, and which stats will be 'official' for Karaban's career. I would have thought there would be 1 source for this stuff. In the post game presser Hurley read Karaban's line and said 2 RBs and that we need more than that from him on the boards. The CBS website says 2 RBs. The Huskies website says 2 offensive and 2 defensive rebounds for a total of 4. Both websites say 4 assists. The highlight clip posted in another thread clearly has 5 assists highlighted. Rewatching the game there were 3 offensive and a defensive rebound = 4 RB.

first Half
@14:13 Offensive Rebound Karaban put back for 2 and was fouled
@12:35 Offensive Rebound with assist pass underneath to Clingan for a jam
second half
@19:27 Entry assist to Sanogo
@16:19 Defensive RB
@12:45 Assist to Sanogo
@ 6:46 Assist to Sanogo
@ 5:35 Offensive Rebound assist to Newton for a 3

@Ricker for official scorer!

Reaction Score
6 of 9 FT's is higher than the team average - which is barely over 60%. Any many of those made free throws rattled around and fell thru.

They just don't look smooth and confident at the line. Hope it turns around. UCONN's 2014 run was at least in part due to the fact that they were near perfect at the line in crunch time. In that run John Calipari was asked why he didn't foul when trailing by a few points late in the game - "because they never miss"
I think our foul shooting will be fine, and probably better than fine. Here is how our current players are shooting, compared to last year:

Newton: 10-14 (71.4%), 87.9% last year
Diarra: 3-8 (37.5%), 73.0% last year
Calcaterra: 2-4 (50%), 86.8% last year
Alleyne: 0-0 (!), 85.2% last year, I like him, he’s just taking 3 and D a bit too literally
Sanogo: 4-6 (66.7%), 68.6% last year
Karaban: 6-9 (66.7%), reputation and eye test say he’ll exceed this
Clingan: 5-8 (62.5%), form looks fine

Injured guys:
Hawkins: 82.1% last year
Jackson: 71.4% last year

After looking at that, I think free throw shooting will be a strength of ours. Sanago and Clingan in the 60s would bring the team percentage down a bit because they’ll be at the line so often. In terms of late-game situations, I’ll feel great about most of our guards being at the line.

Reaction Score
I think our foul shooting will be fine, and probably better than fine. Here is how our current players are shooting, compared to last year:

Newton: 10-14 (71.4%), 87.9% last year
Diarra: 3-8 (37.5%), 73.0% last year
Calcaterra: 2-4 (50%), 86.8% last year
Alleyne: 0-0 (!), 85.2% last year, I like him, he’s just taking 3 and D a bit too literally
Sanogo: 4-6 (66.7%), 68.6% last year
Karaban: 6-9 (66.7%), reputation and eye test say he’ll exceed this
Clingan: 5-8 (62.5%), form looks fine

Injured guys:
Hawkins: 82.1% last year
Jackson: 71.4% last year

After looking at that, I think free throw shooting will be a strength of ours. Sanago and Clingan in the 60s would bring the team percentage down a bit because they’ll be at the line so often. In terms of late-game situations, I’ll feel great about most of our guards being at the line.
Nothing like an ultra-small 2-game sample to get fans riled up about something that will likely be a non-issue.

After Stonehill the BY lamentations were all about about us shooting the 3 poorly (5/24)

After Northeastern (10/21), now we’re gonna be unstoppable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The other thing I have liked so far is Karaban doesn't hold the ball when he gets the ball at the high post or FT line. He catches and knows where to move it to next which keeps the defense off balance and out of position. He is the proverbial SU 2-3 zone killer you want.

Reaction Score
The other thing I have liked so far is Karaban doesn't hold the ball when he gets the ball at the high post or FT line. He catches and knows where to move it to next which keeps the defense off balance and out of position. He is the proverbial SU 2-3 zone killer you want.
And he does that without turning the ball over. Sometimes when you make really quick decisions like that you do something that leads to a turnover. Karaban has a good sense of what he is going to do with the ball before it gets to him.

Reaction Score
And he does that without turning the ball over. Sometimes when you make really quick decisions like that you do something that leads to a turnover. Karaban has a good sense of what he is going to do with the ball before it gets to him.
One AK pass that caught my attention the other night was to DC .. AK was on the left baseline extended and DC with a mismatch on the right side of the baseline. Two things impressed me.. The speed and vision of AK to see/make the play.. And DC's ability to catch a fairly quick pass and convert with a dunk.. They have a nice rapport on the court and it will pay dividends while they are in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Agree with the above especially with his anticipation both on the offensive and defensive end.

He has big time basketball high IQ, and game experience will only magnify his skillset.
I have to imagine him being here an extra 6 months, basically half a red shirt year, has helped him be very familiar with the offense relative to the new guys and transfers.

I’m sure he’s a bright kid too

Reaction Score
I’m sure he’s a bright kid too
Yes, he is. Had offers from Harvard and Stanford. To this day I'm surprised he didn't go to Stanford. His parents are very much about education and I figured the combination of academics and athletics at Stanford were too much to ignore. But in the end the family thought it was more important to be closer to home.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yes, he is. Had offers from Harvard and Stanford. To this day I'm surprised he didn't go to Stanford. His parents are very much about education and I figured the combination of academics and athletics at Stanford were too much to ignore. But in the end the family thought it was more important to be closer to home.
Pretty sure it came down to us, Penn St, and Northwestern.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it came down to us, Penn St, and Northwestern.
This is from an article when he committed to UConn. But I think you're right since he took officials to Penn St. and Northwestern. If I see him again I'll ask why he committed to UConn, even though he's said in interviews why a few times. Maybe he'll tell me more. He lives like a mile from my house but now that he's at UConn he won't be home very often.

The 6-foot-7, 190-pound power forward from New Hampton (NH) School and the Expressions Elite AAU Program, chose UConn over offers from Northwestern, Penn State, Boston College, Bryant, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Harvard, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, LSU, Marquette, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, U Penn, Providence, Purdue, Stanford, Virginia Tech and Xavier, among others.

Reaction Score
Stanford is a great school but he's a basketball player and their basketball program pretty much sucks. He chose UConn over them and every other school who recruited him because UConn is the best basketball school.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Stanford is a great school but he's a basketball player and their basketball program pretty much sucks. He chose UConn over them and every other school who recruited him because UConn is the best basketball school.
Their coach is also on the hot seat. He recruits but doesn’t win, Pejas son will probably be back on the market after the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom