Karaban Has Passing Skills | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Karaban Has Passing Skills

Reaction Score
Stanford is a great school but he's a basketball player and their basketball program pretty much sucks. He chose UConn over them and every other school who recruited him because UConn is the best basketball school.

His earning potential is much higher at the best basketball program. Yeah he could go to Stanford and get a degree and make pretty solid money... but the chances of making 10s of millions is low. It is MUCH higher if he goes to the best basketball school that get him in the league.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The other thing I have liked so far is Karaban doesn't hold the ball when he gets the ball at the high post or FT line. He catches and knows where to move it to next which keeps the defense off balance and out of position. He is the proverbial SU 2-3 zone killer you want.
I cannot like this enough. The nose-picker will be digging deep...

Reaction Score
On a serious note, I haven't feel as good about someone sitting at the FT line when the opposition goes Zone since probably at least Daniel Hamilton. Karaban looked very at ease collecting the ball, turning strong, and both going at the rim hard or playing High/Low with DC & Sanogo. Some players just have that feel and combo of skills to thrive there, and its very much innate. You can tell AK is going to feast in that spot, and what a feeling it is to have that guy.

**bonus - DC is going to be a kickout beast in his career. You can also tell he has great passing feel/vision and when teams necessarily collapse on him he's going to be able to find shooters.

Passing! what a skill

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Karaban is a better shooter than Henefeld was.

Reaction Score
Two games. Small sample size.

Karaban passing from top of the key to Sanogo and Clingan and passing from the FT line to the post or the wing.

Spot on.

Great timing, touch, angle, loft, etc.

His feel for the game and ability to find soft spot of the defense has been real good so far.
I believe that he is gonna be a special Husky player by the time he is done here.

Reaction Score
His earning potential is much higher at the best basketball program. Yeah he could go to Stanford and get a degree and make pretty solid money... but the chances of making 10s of millions is low. It is MUCH higher if he goes to the best basketball school that get him in the league.
Stanford has been recruiting really well in the past few years. Curious what’s going on with that

Reaction Score
I think Karaban is a better shooter than Henefeld was.
Wait. What are you basing that on? Because AK, whose game I absolutely love, has played exactly TWO college basketball games. Henefeld shot 38% on threes and 48% overall in his one season. While Karaban could certainly best those percentages, we have no idea at this point if he is a better shooter than Nadav was.

Reaction Score
Stanford has been recruiting really well in the past few years. Curious what’s going on with that

I have 0 clue, but my guess would be the stellar education without having to pay for it (like Ivies) is a pretty sweet gig. Better basketball too.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He being at the four will take pressure off of Sanogo and Clingan. He's extremely skilled and has a high IQ. Needs to work on his defense but he's still very solid.....as of now

Reaction Score
He’s played 2 games and it’s obvious we were lucky to get him but he’s not Larry Bird…..yet.

Reaction Score
As a rabid Karaban fan, it annoys me to have him get lesser stats than he earns on the court. Not sure I understand why the box scores for the BU game are different at CBS website vs Huskies website, and which stats will be 'official' for Karaban's career. I would have thought there would be 1 source for this stuff. In the post game presser Hurley read Karaban's line and said 2 RBs and that we need more than that from him on the boards. The CBS website says 2 RBs. The Huskies website says 2 offensive and 2 defensive rebounds for a total of 4. Both websites say 4 assists. The highlight clip posted in another thread clearly has 5 assists highlighted. Rewatching the game there were 3 offensive and a defensive rebound = 4 RB.

first Half
@14:13 Offensive Rebound Karaban put back for 2 and was fouled
@12:35 Offensive Rebound with assist pass underneath to Clingan for a jam
second half
@19:27 Entry assist to Sanogo
@16:19 Defensive RB
@12:45 Assist to Sanogo
@ 6:46 Assist to Sanogo
@ 5:35 Offensive Rebound assist to Newton for a 3
In another thread @navery12 made me aware of the StatBroadcast stats and running play by play that ties to the boxscore. In BU game at 12:35 of the first half Calcaterra misses a 3 and Karaban gets the rebound and fires to Clingan for the jam. Officially, neither the rebound nor the great assist happened, despite the highlight videos. Clingan got the rebound himself and put it back evidently. Don't trust your eyes or video. At 16:19 of the second half BU misses a breakaway layup and Karaban rebounds. Diarra got credit for the rebound because they are easily mistaken for each other. (sarc) I would also note many times are off by 10 sec or more vs the game replay. Sorry I haven't been able to let this go, but with a small sample size it changes averages until we are farther along in number of games. 2 Additional rebounds and 1 additional assist changes his average stats for the 2 games

Reaction Score
He’s played 2 games and it’s obvious we were lucky to get him but he’s not Larry Bird…..yet.
Bird was limited athletically vs the guys he played against in the NBA.. But his BBIQ/passing/shooting/trash talking(LOL) allowed him to be a HOF player.. He had a champion's brain.. For CBB.. AK is showing some similar characteristics early.His shots will start to fall. Lets see how it plays out..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
poor man's larry bird.
I control F larry bird and was surprised it took me to page 3 of the thread to have a hit

As a Sixers fan growing up in the early 80's I hated the Celtics and Bird, Parish, McHale, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge, etc. About the only Celtic I liked was Cornbread Maxwell. And screw that towel waving knob whose name I forget but had one or two average seasons with Detroit.

That being said, Bird's mix tape is straight legend and if his back held out two more years, he'd be top 5 all-time. As is he is still top-10 all-time on most lists. Bird is somewhat like Ray Allen in that people think of them as great shooters when in reality, in their prime, they were studs getting to the rim and scoring at all four levels.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He did it again tonight. At least 3 times. Pass was too him and he barely held the ball before moving to the next player for a basket or clean shot.

He plays beyond a freshman's level for confidence of where the ball goes next.

*Special thanks to whichever mod decided the OP thread title needed to be changed or clarified for the mental minions on this board.

Reaction Score
He did have a couple ugly passes especially that one into Sanogo but his defense was stellar tonight.

Reaction Score
That bounce pass to alley oop was incredible vision. Even better is his JJ Redick ability to do quick back steps to the corner 3 to get open for a quick pop. He’s such a smart player. I cannot wait to see him next year with castle at point

Reaction Score
He did it again tonight. At least 3 times. Pass was too him and he barely held the ball before moving to the next player for a basket or clean shot.

*Special thanks to whichever mod decided the OP thread title needed to be changed or clarified for the mental minions on this board.
He's consistently seeing the play (whether it's pass or shoot) before he catches it

Reaction Score

His and Sanogo’s chemistry in that zone is something else. The timing has been absolutely impeccable between the two of them with Sanogo making his move to seal the post so that Karaban can pass it immediately when he gets the ball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That bounce pass to alley oop was incredible vision. Even better is his JJ Redick ability to do quick back steps to the corner 3 to get open for a quick pop. He’s such a smart player. I cannot wait to see him next year with castle at point

I love he doesn't hesitate when the correct play is to shoot. None of us shout at the TV for him to shoot. He's confident.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom