Karaban Has Passing Skills | The Boneyard

Karaban Has Passing Skills

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Two games. Small sample size.

Karaban passing from top of the key to Sanogo and Clingan and passing from the FT line to the post or the wing.

Spot on.

Great timing, touch, angle, loft, etc.

His feel for the game and ability to find soft spot of the defense has been real good so far.

Reaction Score
I was at the game tonight. His basketball IQ on the defensive end is just as good on the offensive end. Hurley went through the BU sideline at one point to give Karaban a high five for a deflection out of bounds. He’s such a fun player to watch throughout the game. That banked three with the MJ shoulder shrug was hilarious.

Reaction Score

Karaban passing from top of the key to Sanogo and Clingan and passing from the FT line to the post or the wing.

Spot on.

His feel for the game and ability to find soft spot of the defense has been real good so far.
He's really good. I was saying in the chat with Karaban and Clingan we haven't had that kind of passing from our frontcourt players since the mid-2000's Calhoun UConn teams. He's cerebral as hell and a competitor.

Reaction Score
he's incredible.

others have pointed it out on here, but hurley relies on skilled fours who can pass and shoot. up until this point, his best option at uconn at that position has been isaiah whaley, who was a decent passer, a bad shooter, and a non-existent ballhandler. karaban is going to change a lot for this team.

Reaction Score
After seeing him play in person, this kid really needs to be on the floor. Both being great passers, I can imagine an incredible dynamic between Karaban and Jackson when he comes back. They make everyone around them better. Finally a team with high basketball IQ again!

Reaction Score
What I like about Karban and a bunch of the new guys and that they aren't 'chained' to the whiteboard. Some guys think they have to be at an exact spot and leave open space to be in the exact spot the coach draws on the board.
Instead these guys are looking for open floor and space. Their spacing has been pretty impressive and that can make a world of difference for Sanogo and Clingan in the long run. They also aren't running on top of each other either, which happened some of the time last year. I really like the way they are playing together.

I'm just interested to see how it goes when the face a team that puts constant pressure on whoever the ballhandler is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What I like about Karban and a bunch of the new guys and that they aren't 'chained' to the whiteboard. Some guys think they have to be at an exact spot and leave open space to be in the exact spot the coach draws on the board.
Instead these guys are looking for open floor and space. Their spacing has been pretty impressive and that can make a world of difference for Sanogo and Clingan in the long run. They also aren't running on top of each other either, which happened some of the time last year. I really like the way they are playing together.

I'm just interested to see how it goes when the face a team that puts constant pressure on whoever the ballhandler is.

Seems like too often UConn has been recruiting raw players who are newer to the game.

Kraban looks like he has been playing pick up games for 25 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Spot on.

He and Newton both had some really nice feeds into Sanogo tonight.

Reaction Score

Spot on.

I suspect offense isn't going be a concern. Dude seems to know what he's doing. Very solid debut.

He's also kinda big. Which hasn't been discussed much (that ive noticed). And doesn't play little..... like Polley generally did.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score

Spot on.

He is like a rich man’s Giffey. And I mean that as the highest complement to both of them.

Reaction Score
“He held up well defensively,” Hurley said. “We need a little bit more on the backboard from him. ... But four assists, no turnovers, a steal, double-figure points. He drew five fouls. He spaces the court for us because obviously the people we play against know of his shooting. It just opens up things. Things for him just as this year goes are going to get better and better in terms of his production and how much of a factor he’s going to be for us offensively.”

This link didn't have a paywall.

Reaction Score
“He held up well defensively,” Hurley said. “We need a little bit more on the backboard from him. ... But four assists, no turnovers, a steal, double-figure points. He drew five fouls. He spaces the court for us because obviously the people we play against know of his shooting. It just opens up things. Things for him just as this year goes are going to get better and better in terms of his production and how much of a factor he’s going to be for us offensively.”

This link didn't have a paywall.
Kid is a stud. I said it when i first saw him this kid is going to be very, very good. He`ll eventually be one of the best players in the league and possibly an AA before his 4 years are done.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Like the Henefeld even more because he can anticipate, handle and pass. Just a very cerebral player, he’s gonna be a real good one!
very excited to watch him play .... but i'm sure i read somewhere on the board that he would make all his free throws. 6-9 is not acceptable /s

i still catch myself thinking about next season: Karaban, Clingan, Alleyne (to play 1 year with Castle), Diarra, Samson, Springs, Roumoglou and the Fab 5

Reaction Score
Like the Henefeld even more because he can anticipate, handle and pass. Just a very cerebral player, he’s gonna be a real good one!
Agree with the above especially with his anticipation both on the offensive and defensive end.

He has big time basketball high IQ, and game experience will only magnify his skillset.

Reaction Score
It’s funny because Henefeld just popped into my head today thinking about Karaban! And that is a very good thing.

Reaction Score
As a rabid Karaban fan, it annoys me to have him get lesser stats than he earns on the court. Not sure I understand why the box scores for the BU game are different at CBS website vs Huskies website, and which stats will be 'official' for Karaban's career. I would have thought there would be 1 source for this stuff. In the post game presser Hurley read Karaban's line and said 2 RBs and that we need more than that from him on the boards. The CBS website says 2 RBs. The Huskies website says 2 offensive and 2 defensive rebounds for a total of 4. Both websites say 4 assists. The highlight clip posted in another thread clearly has 5 assists highlighted. Rewatching the game there were 3 offensive and a defensive rebound = 4 RB.

first Half
@14:13 Offensive Rebound Karaban put back for 2 and was fouled
@12:35 Offensive Rebound with assist pass underneath to Clingan for a jam
second half
@19:27 Entry assist to Sanogo
@16:19 Defensive RB
@12:45 Assist to Sanogo
@ 6:46 Assist to Sanogo
@ 5:35 Offensive Rebound assist to Newton for a 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online