Karaban, Floyd ready to help Huskies next season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karaban, Floyd ready to help Huskies next season

Reaction Score
Saw this quote from Floyd in the article about Gaffney transferring. Thought it was interesting. Whether it's true or not, we'll see. He probably realizes that at 6-3 if he has professional aspirations they will be as a point guard. Curious to see if he really does have point guard skills. Or can he at least be that 2nd ball handling creating guard that I think the Huskies need?

Earlier this week, Floyd said he can play either guard spot.

"I can play point," Floyd said. "I've been working on my ball handling a lot this year. The one position is actually easy for me. I like to pass first and get my teammates involved."

That's why I think he can turn into an Adam Flagler or MaCio Teague type of guard. Those guys usually played off the ball since Butler and Mitchell were mostly running the point, but they could also run the point just fine. I'm very excited to watch him play next season

Reaction Score
Saw this quote from Floyd in the article about Gaffney transferring. Thought it was interesting. Whether it's true or not, we'll see. He probably realizes that at 6-3 if he has professional aspirations they will be as a point guard. Curious to see if he really does have point guard skills. Or can he at least be that 2nd ball handling creating guard that I think the Huskies need?

Earlier this week, Floyd said he can play either guard spot.

"I can play point," Floyd said. "I've been working on my ball handling a lot this year. The one position is actually easy for me. I like to pass first and get my teammates involved."

Floyd strikes me as a good guy and teammate. If our void was at center, my guess is he would respond by saying he has been working on his height and shot blocking...and it's working out well! No problem.

Like his spirit.

Reaction Score
Floyd strikes me as a good guy and teammate. If our void was at center, my guess is he would respond by saying he has been working on his height and shot blocking...and it's working out well! No problem.

Like his spirit.

stretch armstrong 90s GIF

Reaction Score
I’m assuming no one knows the answer to this because he hasn’t played yet but I’ll ask anyway. Can Karaban score with his back to the basket or is he an 8’+ out shooter?
From what i've seen with his aau games. He can score in the post. Think how Martin would back people down, similar to that. He mainly lived in the mid range but was strong on the boards. It appears he's been working really hard on stretching his shot out to the three point line. Hopefully he can be a 35+% kinda guy. But to answer your question, he has legit experience scoring inside and as he puts more weight on, we should expect him to be able to score inside and out

Reaction Score
I think Karaban jumps Akok on the depth chart pretty quickly.
That will depend a lot on whether AK can rebound and defend the interior like AA can. AK seems more like a tall 3 in the Polley mold. Not sure AA and AK will directly compete for minutes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That will depend a lot on whether AK can rebound and defend the interior like AA can. AK seems more like a tall 3 in the Polley mold. Not sure AA and AK will directly compete for minutes.
Agree. As usual I think people have unrealistic expectations about freshmen beating out seniors. I do think Karaban will play, because we will need his shooting at the SF spot. Johnson is going to get some time at the 4 as well. You're right that defense and rebounding will be critical for Karaban earning minutes...at either forward spot.

Reaction Score
Agree. As usual I think people have unrealistic expectations about freshmen beating out seniors. I do think Karaban will play, because we will need his shooting at the SF spot. Johnson is going to get some time at the 4 as well. You're right that defense and rebounding will be critical for Karaban earning minutes...at either forward spot.
Agree that he'll need to rebound and defend. Just that I think we rely on AA for his defensive post presence more than we would for AK. I doubt we'll expect AK to block shots and grab 5+ boards a game. He'll earn his minutes shooting from the perimeter and (hopefully) scoring in transition, where AA that's more of a secondary priority.

Reaction Score

His shooting stroke is pure. Pretty quick too which is always a good sign that he's a naturally gifted scorer

Any chance Corey has grown a couple of inches this past year?
He's already listed at 6'3" so he's not really short. Baylor won the title last year with all four of their primary guards between 6'2" to 6'4". He was only 17 though so good chance he gets to 6'4". We still have a lot of size on this team so it's not much of a concern if he didn't grow.

Reaction Score
Everybody on the board knows I'm "all in" on Karaban. By the end of November, barring injury etc,, every boneyarder is going to want him on the court 24/7/365. I think he will anchor a front court spot as a 4 with Sanogo and Clingan, as an interchangeable 4-5 with either Johnson, or Akok, and as a 5 if he is the only big in the game based on a game situation.

Free Throws at the end of close games:
Maybe it makes sense to have a frontcourt player on the court who makes free throws - 30 for 30 Peachjam

Rebounding & Post Defense 1 on 1
He boxes out and I've seen him defend multiple 7 footers and power guys. He has more lower body strength than Johnson or Akok to hold position. (Admittedly both Johnson and Akok are better off the ball rim protectors).

Passing
Karaban will only be behind AJ as a creative passer, and he will successfully feed another big in the post.

Ball Handling
Equal to Martin. Karaban can go end to end with the ball while being guarded, but he's an IQ player that will more likely give the ball up to the right player on the way. He will be a great outlet vs pressure, catching a contested inbounds pass, and distributing, or, getting fouled and going to the line.

3 Point Shooting
I will be shocked if he isn't 35%+ with 3-6 attempts a game. I expect less takes coming off screens a la Polley and Hawkins, and more takes from kickouts on drives by guards. (that I assume we will have)

Perimeter defense
I've seen him chase Matt Cross all around the 3 point line.
I've seen him shut down Kadary Richmond backdowns
It isn't his forte, but he can match up sufficiently

2 Footers
He will make putbacks and get the "and one". The era of missing 50% of our bunnies is over.

Team Defense
Up to Hurley to be using Karaban correctly. In my mind a defensive scheme that gets him stuck switching onto quick guards is where he would be in the worst shape. He can perform in a press with his IQ and anticipation in the same manner as Nadav Henefeld, (not saying as well, just similar capability).

And now you know ;)

You too can be on the Karaban train. Freshman bah humbug. He's a basketball player.
All aboard?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Everybody on the board knows I'm "all in" on Karaban. By the end of November, barring injury etc,, every boneyarder is going to want him on the court 24/7/365. I think he will anchor a front court spot as a 4 with Sanogo and Clingan, as an interchangeable 4-5 with either Johnson, or Akok, and as a 5 if he is the only big in the game based on a game situation.

Maybe it makes sense to have a frontcourt player on the court who makes free throws - 30 for 30 Peachjam

He boxes out and I've seen him defend multiple 7 footers and power guys. He has more lower body strength than Johnson or Akok to hold position. (Admittedly both Johnson and Akok are better off the ball rim protectors).

Passing
Karaban will only be behind AJ as a creative passer, and he will successfully feed another big in the post.

Ball Handling
Equal to Martin. Karaban can go end to end with the ball while being guarded, but he's an IQ player that will more likely give the ball up to the right player on the way. He will be a great outlet vs pressure, catching a contested inbounds pass, and distributing, or, getting fouled and going to the line.

3 Point Shooting
I will be shocked if he isn't 35%+ with 3-6 attempts a game. I expect less takes coming off screens a la Polley and Hawkins, and more takes from kickouts on drives by guards. (that I assume we will have)

Perimeter defense

2 Footers
He will make putbacks and get the "and one". The era of missing 50% of our bunnies is over.

Team Defense
Up to Hurley to be using Karaban correctly. In my mind a defensive scheme that gets him stuck switching onto quick guards is where he would be in the worst shape. He can perform in a press with his IQ and anticipation in the same manner as Nadav Henefeld, (not saying as well, just similar capability).

And now you know ;)

You too can be on the Karaban train. Freshman bah humbug. He's a basketball player.
All aboard?

Sounds like if he's not 1st team all Big East as a freshman it'll be a disappointment lol.

Reaction Score

Passing

Ball Handling

3 Point Shooting

Perimeter defense

2 Footers

Team Defense

And now you know ;)

All aboard?
Pump the brakes. This kid will be good but Jesus the hyperbole on this board for kids who haven’t played a second of college basketball is insane

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Pump the brakes. This kid will be good but Jesus the hyperbole on this board for kids who haven’t played a second of college basketball is insane
Yeah but this is a little different from the normal insanity in that @Ricker has specifically been all in on Karaban since before he was very highly rated and before he even had a public uconn offer

Reaction Score
I’m assuming no one knows the answer to this because he hasn’t played yet but I’ll ask anyway. Can Karaban score with his back to the basket or is he an 8’+ out shooter?

yes, bold prediction, 3rd team all big east

Reaction Score
Know your audience.

Reaction Score
The best part about Floyd and Karaban (and Castle) is that they're basketball players in the true sense of the definition. They can score from three levels and and they move the ball to the best spot on the floor given what the situation presents. It's kinda old school basketball talent - for reference think current day Villanova or old school Celtics sorts of players. I'm high on both these guys - they should help us nicely before the middle of their sophomore seasons at worst case.

Reaction Score

Passing

Ball Handling

3 Point Shooting

Perimeter defense

2 Footers

Team Defense

And now you know ;)

All aboard?

Great stuff!

In Ricker we trust.... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco