Karaban, Floyd ready to help Huskies next season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Karaban, Floyd ready to help Huskies next season

Reaction Score
Everybody on the board knows I'm "all in" on Karaban. By the end of November, barring injury etc,, every boneyarder is going to want him on the court 24/7/365. I think he will anchor a front court spot as a 4 with Sanogo and Clingan, as an interchangeable 4-5 with either Johnson, or Akok, and as a 5 if he is the only big in the game based on a game situation.

Free Throws at the end of close games:
Maybe it makes sense to have a frontcourt player on the court who makes free throws - 30 for 30 Peachjam

Rebounding & Post Defense 1 on 1
He boxes out and I've seen him defend multiple 7 footers and power guys. He has more lower body strength than Johnson or Akok to hold position. (Admittedly both Johnson and Akok are better off the ball rim protectors).

Passing
Karaban will only be behind AJ as a creative passer, and he will successfully feed another big in the post.

Ball Handling
Equal to Martin. Karaban can go end to end with the ball while being guarded, but he's an IQ player that will more likely give the ball up to the right player on the way. He will be a great outlet vs pressure, catching a contested inbounds pass, and distributing, or, getting fouled and going to the line.

3 Point Shooting
I will be shocked if he isn't 35%+ with 3-6 attempts a game. I expect less takes coming off screens a la Polley and Hawkins, and more takes from kickouts on drives by guards. (that I assume we will have)

Perimeter defense
I've seen him chase Matt Cross all around the 3 point line.
I've seen him shut down Kadary Richmond backdowns
It isn't his forte, but he can match up sufficiently

2 Footers
He will make putbacks and get the "and one". The era of missing 50% of our bunnies is over.

Team Defense
Up to Hurley to be using Karaban correctly. In my mind a defensive scheme that gets him stuck switching onto quick guards is where he would be in the worst shape. He can perform in a press with his IQ and anticipation in the same manner as Nadav Henefeld, (not saying as well, just similar capability).

And now you know ;)

You too can be on the Karaban train. Freshman bah humbug. He's a basketball player.
All aboard?
Excellent overview @Ricker.. In addition to AK's and CF's physical talents-- I'm excited about/impressed with the maturity of their game at a young age and their BBIQ. You can tell by the way they handle themselves on the court and their interactions with teammates/coaches that they "get it". This quality will be a tremendous asset with the upperclassmen they'll be playing with this year. Can easily see both of them become closers over the course of their careers at UConn. Expecting them to recruit similar guys they've played with and know to Storrs .

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I generally agree with the caution that expectations are at the root of most disappointments and much upset. I similarly seek out excitement far less than I did earlier in my life. But enthusiasm is still very much on the table, and I've liked both Floyd and Karaban from initial writeups and videos, through successful recruitment, their early arrivals, and what I've heard and read about them.

I've got no business making predictions, bold or otherwise, but I'm very happy they are both in the fold, have months of experience in the program, and am eager to see them on the court as they grow from teens into their 20s.

Reaction Score
Know your audience.
I’m sorry, what? Are you moderating the board now?

Love the polyannas on here but calling a five paragraph essay on how a kid who’s borderline top 100 is going to come in and tear it up before he plays a minute of college bball nuts is off limits? Love rickers enthusiasm but the rest of the BY needs to ease up on the kool aid buddy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Love the polyannas on here but calling a five paragraph essay on how a kid who’s borderline top 100 is going to come in and tear it up before he plays a minute of college bball nuts is off limits? Love rickers enthusiasm but the rest of the BY needs to ease up on the kool aid buddy.
I read @Ricker 's post differently than you did. I get the impression that others did as well.

Sure, some might indeed be overreacting in the manner you'd like to slow down. And sure, it registered that you "love Ricker's enthusiasm but...“ I intend no put down by quoting you or offering a redirect.

If I could wave a magic wand, I'd diffuse some needless tension borne of mismatched degrees of good feelings about a player who many regard as having been underranked. April certainly doesn't strike me as the time for conflicting competitive pronouncements.

Reaction Score
I read @Ricker 's post differently than you did. I get the impression that others did as well.

Sure, some might indeed be overreacting in the manner you'd like to slow down. And sure, it registered that you "love Ricker's enthusiasm but...“ I intend no put down by quoting you or offering a redirect.

If I could wave a magic wand, I'd diffuse some needless tension borne of mismatched degrees of good feelings about a player who many regard as having been underranked. April certainly doesn't strike me as the time for conflicting competitive pronouncements.
Agreed, meant no disrespect to him. My apologies Ricker.

It’s just an exhausting loop on the BY - we hype incoming freshmen up to ridiculous levels, they (completely understandably) take some time to adjust to the college game, and the loons on here are inevitably surprised these kids aren’t getting minutes and are braying for DH’s head constantly. Hawkins was a much better prospect coming out and he had amazing flashes this year but was inconsistent. Diggins too had more hype coming out and we know what happened there.

I think it’s better to set our expectations lower for these kids. I think Karaban will be great - a few years down the road. He may have a baptism by fire next year though and we’ll see who’s right.

Reaction Score

I was trying to be nice. Try this on for size....SHUT UP!!

Reaction Score
I was trying to be nice. Try this on for size....SHUT UP!!
Solid grade school comeback on your end, really nailed it.

Nowhere in my post did I personally attack anyone - just calling out the sometimes ridiculous optimism that inevitably permeates the board in the off-season. Already apologized in response to Hans’ well taken points. Thanks for weighing in though

Reaction Score
Solid grade school comeback on your end, really nailed it.

Nowhere in my post did I personally attack anyone - just calling out the sometimes ridiculous optimism that inevitably permeates the board in the off-season. Already apologized in response to Hans’ well taken points. Thanks for weighing in though
I replied to your quoting my post, read your apology to Hans, and wasn't able to edit my response. Let's move on, water under the bridge.

Reaction Score
Everybody on the board knows I'm "all in" on Karaban. By the end of November, barring injury etc,, every boneyarder is going to want him on the court 24/7/365. I think he will anchor a front court spot as a 4 with Sanogo and Clingan, as an interchangeable 4-5 with either Johnson, or Akok, and as a 5 if he is the only big in the game based on a game situation.

Free Throws at the end of close games:
Maybe it makes sense to have a frontcourt player on the court who makes free throws - 30 for 30 Peachjam

Rebounding & Post Defense 1 on 1
He boxes out and I've seen him defend multiple 7 footers and power guys. He has more lower body strength than Johnson or Akok to hold position. (Admittedly both Johnson and Akok are better off the ball rim protectors).

Passing
Karaban will only be behind AJ as a creative passer, and he will successfully feed another big in the post.

Ball Handling
Equal to Martin. Karaban can go end to end with the ball while being guarded, but he's an IQ player that will more likely give the ball up to the right player on the way. He will be a great outlet vs pressure, catching a contested inbounds pass, and distributing, or, getting fouled and going to the line.

3 Point Shooting
I will be shocked if he isn't 35%+ with 3-6 attempts a game. I expect less takes coming off screens a la Polley and Hawkins, and more takes from kickouts on drives by guards. (that I assume we will have)

Perimeter defense
I've seen him chase Matt Cross all around the 3 point line.
I've seen him shut down Kadary Richmond backdowns
It isn't his forte, but he can match up sufficiently

2 Footers
He will make putbacks and get the "and one". The era of missing 50% of our bunnies is over.

Team Defense
Up to Hurley to be using Karaban correctly. In my mind a defensive scheme that gets him stuck switching onto quick guards is where he would be in the worst shape. He can perform in a press with his IQ and anticipation in the same manner as Nadav Henefeld, (not saying as well, just similar capability).

And now you know ;)

You too can be on the Karaban train. Freshman bah humbug. He's a basketball player.
All aboard?
Man, you're more of a Karaban fan than I am! I'm not making any predictions because I really don't know how he is going to adjust to D1 college basketball. With freshman you just don't know. But I hope you're right!

Reaction Score
Man, you're more of a Karaban fan than I am! I'm not making any predictions because I really don't know how he is going to adjust to D1 college basketball. With freshman you just don't know. But I hope you're right!
I think Karaban and Floyd will be productive next Year because they had a full year of practice with the team helping them adjust to the college game speed. Conversely Hawkins, Johnson and Diggins did not have that and therefore were not as prepared to make an impact as Karaban and Floyd are. I think practicing with the team the previous year helped make Akok more impactful right away his freshman year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom