Karaban Caravan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Karaban Caravan

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They've also said that about Sanogo and AJax though. Just seems like we have a bunch of gym rats on the team, which is important. Can't outwork us.

Ollie would be stumped trying to figure out how to get these guys to improve.

Reaction Score
This kid has 'It'.
Uncanny understanding of game play.
Thinks a play ahead.
Contributes physically and vocally through the entire scheme of ball and personnel movement.
I have not yet said "What the heck is AK doing?" For anyone let alone a frosh that is amazing.

He possessed the cerebral part of the game, that is knowing exactly where you should be to position yourself both offensively and defensively. I have seen a few plays where he directed fellow huskies to rotate…

Reaction Score
Great comparison. And Nadav played 2 seasons of pro basketball in Isareal before he got here and was a former member of the Israeli army. It is going to be a joy watching AK and DC as they mature. It seems like everything we have hoped for is coming true and then some.

From Wiki:

Early career[edit]​

Henefeld was born in Ramat Hasharon, Israel, and he initially played pro basketball in his home country, for two seasons (1987–88, and 1988–89).

He won a gold medal with Team Israel, and was voted MVP of the basketball competition, at the 1989 Maccabiah Games.[1]

College career[edit]​

Henefeld joined the University of Connecticut, and played with the Connecticut Huskies, in the 1989–90 "Dream Season", where he was selected as the Big East Conference Rookie of the Year, and set an all-time NCAA Division I freshman record, with 138 steals.[2]
The Gaza Stripper!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For those two young to remember The Dove.

And truth be told, his impact was way more than his numbers showed below. He was almost a conductor on offense and defense controlling the flow of where the ball would go on offense and having the effect of a lockdown corner back on defense where he just took players out of the game. And he and Burrell owned the passing lanes.

1669561235137.png

Reaction Score

And truth be told, his impact was way more than his numbers showed below. He was almost a conductor on offense and defense controlling the flow of where the ball would go on offense and having the effect of a lockdown corner back on defense where he just took players out of the game. And he and Burrell owned the passing lanes.

View attachment 81177

That steal number is astounding. And it doesn't count deflections or making the offensive player throw the ball away (which improved the steal numbers of other UConn players).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That steal number is astounding. And it doesn't count deflections or making the offensive player throw the ball away (which improved the steal numbers of other UConn players).

That team was an all-time great team for steals. 484 steals for the season. 13 steals per game, and, as you mentioned, that doesn't include tipped passes.

Nadav 3.7
Tate 2.0
Burrell 1.9
Smith 1.7
Williams 1.0
DePriest 1.0
Gwynn 0.8
Sellers 0.7

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That team was an all-time great team for steals. 484 steals for the season. 13 steals per game, and, as you mentioned, that doesn't include tipped passes.

Nadav 3.7
Tate 2.0
Burrell 1.9
Smith 1.7
Williams 1.0
DePriest 1.0
Gwynn 0.8
Sellers 0.7
The defense on that team was almost unbelievable. Defense to offense transitions were beautiful.

Reaction Score

View attachment 81177

The amazing thing about Nadav’s steal stats is that we are talking about a guy with average college basketball athleticism - and I’m being generous in that description. He read the opponent at a cerebral assassin level.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The amazing thing about Nadav’s steal stats is that we are talking about a guy with average college basketball athleticism - and I’m being generous in that description. He read the opponent at a cerebral assassin level.
Go rewatch 1990 full games, the press pushed those steal numbers up dramatically. The defensive pressure was stifling.

Reaction Score
Go rewatch 1990 full games, the press pushed those steal numbers up dramatically. The defensive pressure was stifling.
No thanks. I know what I watched 32 years ago and while the press definitely contributed to his steal numbers, the guy had lightning quick hands and insane vision. You think the press had anything to do with his steals in half-court defense? You’re being a contrarian when there is no argument to be made. Stop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I feel confident saying the majority of his steals were interceptions. They would bum rush the second pass and he would read the subsequent bailout attempt. There was really nothing like it and we couldn't duplicate it without him.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
No thanks. I know what I watched 32 years ago and while the press definitely contributed to his steal numbers, the guy had lightning quick hands and insane vision. You think the press had anything to do with his steals in half-court defense? Stop.

The press helped his steal numbers, that’s just a fact. He also had an eye for the ball, which helped his steal numbers in the half court. It can be both.

Reaction Score
The press helped his steal numbers, that’s just a fact. He also had an eye for the ball, which helped his steal numbers in the half court. It can be both.
Uh that’s what I just said.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One steal short

Yeah, all those deflections and steals throughout the season and UConn's first FF berth came down to a deflection which could/should have been a steal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, all those deflections and steals throughout the season and UConn's first FF berth came down to a deflection which could/should have been a steal.
Imagine how crushing that would still be if we hadn't won since. Now it's like bragging about a scar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom