Kansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kansas

Reaction Score
It would suck being in the Big 12. Imagine having to play Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State, Ok State, West Virginia? And you’d have solid football and great baseball too. Plus $15-20 million. Give me $5 million and Seton Friggin’ Hall any day of the week, baby. Nothing says power conference like Seton Hall and Providence!

Reaction Score
It would suck being in the Big 12. Imagine having to play Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State, Ok State, West Virginia? And you’d have solid football and great baseball too. Plus $15-20 million. Give me $5 million and Seton Friggin’ Hall any day of the week, baby. Nothing says power conference like Seton Hall and Providence!
Its a moot point as personally think we blew all chances of going anywhere with the Randy Hire
That was a white flag of surrender.
I don’t know if this is true but someone on the women’s board commented that the 4 men’s basketball combined salary is higher than the combined sallies of the 10-11 football coaches. It’s apparent our football goal was minimize costs not try to improve. The results speak for themselves.
To your point if we were asked to the B12 we would have gone in a heartbeat.
With us instead of UCF it’s the best basketball conference since the old Big East .

Reaction Score
Great baseball!

Reaction Score
Losing OU and Texas hurts KU Basketball the most. Playing Baylor, Houston, Iowa State and Cincy are nice, but not quite the same without Texas and OU. What happens to their football doesn't natter because they never cared much about it.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Losing OU and Texas hurts KU Basketball the most. Playing Baylor, Houston, Iowa State and Cincy are nice, but not quite the same without Texas and OU. What happens to their football doesn't natter because they never cared much about it.
KU basketball will be fine. Losing OU and Texas for basketball was nothing. For football, it matters. Baylor is crushing it in basketball…as is Texas tech, Houston, Kansas, cincy. Big 12 is going to be just fine. AAC got decimated.

Reaction Score

Exactly.

Look at this coaching fraternity.

Bill Self
Scott Drew
Kelvin Sampson
Bob Huggins
Jamie Dixon
Bruce Weber
Mike Boynton
Steve Prohm
Johnny Dawkins
Mark Pope
Wes Miller
Mark Adams

I'm thinking Bill Self is very pleased to see Sampson and Co. come in. He's pretty good friends with Sampson and helped him land Grimes.
Both Texas and OU just replaced their coaches anyway, so this group is as stable as can be.
Bill Self is only 58.
I've always thought that if Jim Calhoun would've had more mileage left on him, UConn may be looking at a P5 invite this round, and better football decisions (with fewer hoops distraction) would've allowed UConn to stay on the horse in the AAC. Calhoun would've loved the challenge of these coaches, who will likely be competing on Big Mondays.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It will continue to be poached, they already lost 6 schools. When a conference no longer looks anything like it used to there is very little to keep it together. It's what happened to the Big East. AAC never even had a chance at surviving, all their schools of worth have already been picked off or bolted. Big 12 has some good enough schools still left that they will be picked off.

lol.

By who?

The valuable parts have been stripped off already.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
KU basketball will be fine. Losing OU and Texas for basketball was nothing. For football, it matters. Baylor is crushing it in basketball…as is Texas tech, Houston, Kansas, cincy. Big 12 is going to be just fine. AAC got decimated.

They do care about football, just not as much (but probably more than UConn fans). The big losses for football already happened years ago, Nebraska and Missouri. Those two were the closest rivals aside from K-State and filled the stadium. OU and UT not so much. Colorado was arguably a bigger loss than UT and OU. Ever since the SWC/Big 8 Merger, OU has looked to Texas. The other 7 mostly did not.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Money will go down, but not as much as some think.
Bowlsby said down by half, but I think they lose 2/3. Losing TX and perennial national title contender OK are huge blows. I know the schools they added are good, but they're not TX & OU. If football is 80% of the annual TV revenue, losing those 2 teams is a killer and takes away all the made for TV/must see games. I also wonder if they'll deal with ESPN given they likely blame ESPN for the situation. If they don't, that leaves Fox as the only known bidder. That assumes a streaming service like Amazon doesn't try to get involved.
I think they could get hammered and may have to take a shorter contract that allows them to re-establish the league.
I guess we'll see at some point.

Reaction Score
Here's an old NCAA Tournament box score from 2005; when UConn (out of the old Big East) took on UCF (out of the ATLANTIC SUN).

It's amazing to think that less than 20 years later, the old Big East died and along with it the "Big 6" designation for UConn. Consequently, UConn plays Butler, Creighton, and Xavier. OTOH, UCF is now a P5 and playing Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Houston, etc, every year in the BIG XII.

Reaction Score
What's the point of this thread?

The Big 12 was the #1 conference before and will be the #1 conference afterwards. And that's with some horrific UCF teams bringing down the average.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The Big 12 was the #1 conference before and will be the #1 conference afterwards. And that's with some horrific UCF teams bringing down the average.

A tweet I saw today suggested that the Pac 10 isn't happy, and that they feel the Big 12 came out of this in decent shape. So they are considering expansion to weaken it. If they wait and these new teams (Cinci is currently top 10 in football) show staying power or get better, then suddenly the Pac is at risk of losing it's eastern most teams.

Reaction Score
Colorado and Utah have no desire to look East. Football money is a drop in the bucket next to the research grants they are procuring from aligning with the other PAC-12 schools.

Reaction Score
A tweet I saw today suggested that the Pac 10 isn't happy, and that they feel the Big 12 came out of this in decent shape. So they are considering expansion to weaken it. If they wait and these new teams (Cinci is currently top 10 in football) show staying power or get better, then suddenly the Pac is at risk of losing it's eastern most teams.
they had every opp to add TT and TCU. apparently they came close with those 2 but decided otherwise. if the PAC ever has schools poached it's not gonna be to a big12 w/o UT and OU

Last edited:
Reaction Score

how has the addition of UConn not moved the average at all?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Wait, so Colorado and Utah left a Big 12 with OU and TX but if Cincy and UCF prove to be “good” they’ll consider rejoining?

Lmao whoever tweeted that must have been high. In no world does Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU make that conference more appealing (competitively or financially) than it was with OU and TX.

National brands are what drive high dollar tv deals. Unless the “eastern” PAC teams prefer less money, playing in a conference with UCLA and USC will be more lucrative than a conference with Cincy and Houston.

Reaction Score
Wait, so Colorado and Utah left a Big 12 with OU and TX but if Cincy and UCF prove to be “good” they’ll consider rejoining?

Lmao whoever tweeted that must have been high. In no world does Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU make that conference more appealing (competitively or financially) than it was with OU and TX.

National brands are what drive high dollar tv deals. Unless the “eastern” PAC teams prefer less money, playing in a conference with UCLA and USC will be more lucrative than a conference with Cincy and Houston.
Actually, Utah left the Mountain West Conference to go to the PAC-12.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It wouldn’t surprise me if in a few years the Pac-12 adds Texas Tech (most popular brand in West Texas) and Kansas.

Reaction Score
how has the addition of UConn not moved the average at all?

UConn is already baked into the numbers under BE (since they joined last year already and are thus considered an "old" member) and thus already affected the average. Here is the adjust efficiency margin for each year. As you can see, the addition of UConn slightly lowered the average because of the rough Ollie years and the rebuild under Hurley (2016 the exception of course)

2014: 22.13
2015: 9.98
2016: 18.71
2017: 6.53
2018: -0.43
2019: 6.78
2020: 12.97
2021: 20.61

Average over time span: 12.16

Reaction Score

The Big 12 is better than the Pac 12 in basketball by a mile. (1/2 the final four teams this year, and the Champion)
In football, the Big 12 is better than the Pac 12 by less than a mile.

I don't know what the Pac 12 is thinking but the Big 12 is pleased with the expansion.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. But to seal the deal, UConn needs to shed its renowned state-flagship status and become a Jesuit institution.
We did that as soon as we said yes.

Reaction Score
UConn is already baked into the numbers under BE (since they joined last year already and are thus considered an "old" member) and thus already affected the average. Here is the adjust efficiency margin for each year. As you can see, the addition of UConn slightly lowered the average because of the rough Ollie years and the rebuild under Hurley (2016 the exception of course)

2014: 22.13
2015: 9.98
2016: 18.71
2017: 6.53
2018: -0.43
2019: 6.78
2020: 12.97
2021: 20.61

Average over time span: 12.16
Please define the "Adjust Efficiency Margin" and define what it means and how it is calculated

Reaction Score
It will survive unless it is poached. So that's really up to the B1G, Pac and ACC (for WVU perhaps). Money will go down, but not as much as some think. Certainly much higher than the AAC or BigEast.
If the schools they’re bringing in are so valuable, why wasn’t the AAC earning higher media payouts?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom