Kadary Richmond down to Oregon, Seton Hall, St. John’s and UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Kadary Richmond down to Oregon, Seton Hall, St. John’s and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
shouldnt we almost always get the elite in-state prospect(s) if the staff wants them? CT isn't exactly a recruiting hot bed. if we missed on tre mitchell and akok in the same year we'd be looking back on the 2019 class a lot differently

This is ridiculous. Sometimes kids will cut uconn BECAUSE it's close to home.

You're saying the staff shouldn't be getting credit for locking up in-state players, but criticized when they don't. Let me repeat: this is ridiculous.

Do you think before you post?

Reaction Score
shouldnt we almost always get the elite in-state prospect(s) if the staff wants them? CT isn't exactly a recruiting hot bed. if we missed on tre mitchell and akok in the same year we'd be looking back on the 2019 class a lot differently

Also, akok isn't from CT. So there's that

Reaction Score

no need to get aggressive. this isnt a personal affront to you. do you not think it's more impressive landing an elite talent that cant even find CT on a map, as opposed to one that went to highschool here?

also you were calling out the staff a couple weeks ago and saying they need to reevaluate their recruiting strategy and/or be replaced. i've never said anything like that. super hypocritical. so theres that too.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

You're saying the staff shouldn't be getting credit for locking up in-state players, but criticized when they don't. Let me repeat: this is ridiculous.

Any recruit you target and get is a win. It’s very competitive out there even without the Pay Schools factor.

Reaction Score
no need to get aggressive. this isnt a personal affront to you. do you not think it's more impressive landing an elite talent that cant even find CT on a map, as opposed to one that went to highschool here?
No it's not more impressive

Reaction Score
No it's not more impressive

i dont wanna argue about this when we're just starting to play nice, but whens the last time a kid from memphis didn't stay home, even before penny got there? if MSU or Michgan lose an in-state kid to IU or OSU, or visa versa, all hell breaks lose. North Carolina kids go to school in North Carolina. this isnt a new phenomenon

Reaction Score

also you were calling out the staff a couple weeks ago and saying they need to reevaluate their recruiting strategy and/or be replaced. i've never said anything like that. super hypocritical. so theres that too.

It isn't any more or less impressive. Talent is talent.

I did call out the staff and might continue to. I will stick by the fact that if we have a sub-par recruiting class in 2020 (ie. not getting Cam or Cliff), and they can't do better in 2021, there is going to need to be staff turnover. That's how the business works. It's still September 2019--this is all hypothetical. The likelihood is that something shakes out.

It's not hypocritical whatsoever. I don't think you know what hypocritical means. It would be hypocritical if I said: "you cannot criticize the staff." I would never say that. What I did say is that your criticism of this staff is ridiculous and illogical, because it is.

You have yet to explain why it is "expected" we get the best in-state recruits every year. It's about the talent that enters the program, not where it comes from. TALENT IS TALENT. The coaches find out very quickly if a kid isn't interested in staying near home (see: Mustapha Heron) and don't recruit them. Then guys like you--yes, you have done this--complain that we aren't recruiting a local prospect.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I was at a conference and met a guy who played for Indiana football. He said he had zero interest in IU because of how close it was to home...until it was by far the best school to offer him a scholarship.

I felt the same way about UConn to be honest (who wants to go to college with a bunch of people from high school?)

So i can get why UConn doesn’t get all the local kids. What hurts more is when good players say UConn was the dream school and still don’t end up committing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you have yet to explain why it is "expected" we get the best in-state recruits every year.

see above. and your excuse about being a hyprocite is BS. dont give me a 9th grade lecture on semantics. you insulted me for being unfairly critical when youve done it yourself. obviously i'm not expecting every kid to be a prisoner of their own backyard but akok and tre were clearly interested. those guys need to be closed.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
With 2* athletes, childhood allegiances matter. With 4* and 5* recruits, this is a business decision, it's what choice is going to progress their careers. They look nationally and have a lot of mentors/advisors helping them calculate all the angles. Being the state school may guarantee a look, but you still have to make a convincing case that you're the best school for them. If you can make that case to an in-state recruit, you can do it to an out-of-state recruit. So the win percentage isn't necessarily that different.

Reaction Score
I blame Selvie, Jerome Dyson and Ace Whatandareserup..........just not sure in what order

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Definitely not trying to start anything but generally Coach Calhoun locked up in-state and quality national and international talent. Hope our recruiting strategy involves a bit of benchmarking of Calhoun and staff or develops that type of prowess down the road.

Reaction Score
You complain, complain, and complain again, but don't actually offer any insight other than alarmism.

i complain but i dont call for anyone to be fired. one is clearly more alarming than the other. or do your brilliant scouting takes give you a free pass?

Reaction Score
Definitely not trying to start anything but generally Coach Calhoun locked up in-state and quality national and international talent. Hope our recruiting strategy involves a bit of benchmarking of Calhoun and staff or develops that type of prowess down the road.

He had excellent recruiting classes, but they looked a lot like the one Hurley brought in for this year. And he lost out on a lot of players. Toward the end, players like Kemba, Boatright, Roscoe, were not first choices. Not to mention even Giffey, Olander, etc., the players who filled in classes.

I can only think of a handful of big whales that were targeted from the beginning and which landed here. Guys like AJ Price, Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon, Andrew Bynum, maybe even Caron Butler, Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen. But that was over a span of 2 decades.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Kemba was Calhoun's first choice , if not who was the 1st choice for pt guard?

Reaction Score

Really? How many big time in state kids got away under Calhoun? We all know Gomes, but besides him there were not many!

Reaction Score
Does David McClure count? He's a little before my time, didn't really become recruiting-cognizant until 2009-2010ish. Ridgefield kid, four years at Trinity, then Duke. No idea if Calhoun recruited him back then.

Reaction Score
Does David McClure count? He's a little before my time, didn't really become recruiting-cognizant until 2009-2010ish. Ridgefield kid, four years at Trinity, then Duke. No idea if Calhoun recruited him back then.

Didn't get recruited by UConn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Marcus Camby

Yeah, and that was $$$ for sure. I worked with his dad Bob Camby, who was a HUGE UConn fan. UMass bought him straight up.

Reaction Score
Really liked this kid's game. Shame. Curious to see what direction the staff goes now that it looks like we appear to be out on our top 3 wings...

Has anybody said we’re out on Andre Jackson? I know we aren’t presumed to be the frontline either anymore, but I have seen anything indicating we’re out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom