Kadary Richmond down to Oregon, Seton Hall, St. John’s and UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kadary Richmond down to Oregon, Seton Hall, St. John’s and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has a recruit ever gotten a wink from Matrim55 and a "Next" from Zionn in the same thread? Yeesh.

Here's a question for anybody with inside information: did he back off from us, or did we back off from him?

this implies the former

Not sure if legit, but this is out there

Reaction Score
this implies the former
Yeah, that was my assumption. I saw that tweet right after I posted my question. At least it seems like Andre Jackson's recruitment is still open, and that the presumption he's going to Syracuse isn't necessarily accurate.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. A player that has seen some or all of the “finalists” backing away would be incented to “reopen recruitment” as a face-saving measure.

why would staff back off if both thomas and jackson (the only other wing targets left) arent locks to commit? because they definitely arent

Last edited:
Reaction Score
why would staff back off if both thomas and jackson (the only other wing targets left) arent locks to commit? because they definitely arent
I didn’t say they did. I just meant that you can’t assume “reopening recruitment” means the player changed his mind. Each school’s preferences can be fluid as well, so if a player isn’t comfortable where he fits on their priority lists, he may reopen things to give himself more options.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
This is disappointing, it seemed like Kadary was one of the guys we had a really good shot with. Feeling uneasy about Jackson, Thomas, Lane, and Big Cliff.

It's interesting because last fall we all knew our 5 main targets (Bouk, Gaffney, Akok, Precious, and Kofi) and really zeroed in on them hard. This fall it is a little more uncertain who the staff is focusing on, and who they are just feeling out.

Not time to panic obviously, just saying that it is a little less certain as far as who we are going after hard.

Reaction Score
In the past few days I'm officially worried about this class.

Especially after last year's initial successes with Bouknight and Gaffney. They got everyone here excited that our strategically constructed staff will be strong in NE, Tri-State area and DelMarVa.

The staff has done a great job with player development, and the Big East awaits next year, so the momentum should continue. First commitments were mid to late September last year so we should soon see how this year looks.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It’s september, geezus.
It's not yet equinox, and I saw two pre-lit trees, a giant Frosty, and a very sparkly, red $599 sleigh on display at Costco yesterday.

Some people like to get a jump on being "officially worried." Maybe he's a victim of this Sunday's Mindfulness workshop being for women only.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's not yet equinox, and I saw two pre-lit trees, a giant Frosty, and a very sparkly, red $599 sleigh on display at Costco yesterday.

Some people like to get a jump on being "officially worried." Maybe he's a victim of this Sunday's Mindfulness workshop being for women only.

Stores have 2.5 seasons: summer, half Halloween and Christmas. They can’t make money on summer anymore so welcome to December!

Reaction Score
Why are we not sticking the landing on these kids?

Because we've been terrible for three years. Yes, we're in the Big East but so is DePaul. The BE helps get us into more conversations, but we've gotta have some results on the court.

We'll get there, but again - rebuilds don't happen in 2 years. Too much damage was done, particularly due to our performance on the court, but lack of platform, etc. I think people are starting to see the real effects of that right now.

I'm still optimistic though - I think this class should be pretty good. Just keep moving that needle forward. Get back into the Big East and get a post season appearance in or two, and you'll start to see the big dogs come around.

Reaction Score
This is a silly discussion. He didn't "next" us -- he nexted his entire list of finalists. So the thought that this reflects mostly on us, and not him, makes little sense. The two most likely scenarios are (i) his recruiting is going better than he thought, and he's now gotten interest from what he perceives to be the UK, Duke, Kansas level of schools, or (ii) something has happened to him on or off the court that makes his prior finalists not really interested. But the whining that this reflects on us when he threw us out as part of a group doesn't make sense.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Really liked this kid's game. Shame. Curious to see what direction the staff goes now that it looks like we appear to be out on our top 3 wings...

Reaction Score
We used to have up and down years recruiting all the time. These players coming in might be seeing a crowded field. One year up, one down.

That being said, if this all goes kablooey, I would just focus on bringing in developmental bigs.

Reaction Score
So to recap for 2020

Cam Thomas - Waiting to try and set an OV - recent LSU momentum
Andre Jackson - I don't think anyone knows what is going on here.
Niels Lane - Heavy Florida lean
Cliff - Early in the process - taking several visits.
Kadary - Weird next out of nowhere
Cardwell - OV is planned for October
Jaylen - Top 7 no OV
Javonte Brown-Ferguson - We watched him with no visit scheduled.

Woof.

While I think we have some decent recruiters on the staff. None of them, outside of Tom Moore, landed top 50 talent at their old jobs, and Tom hasn't recruited the level he has now since he was back at UConn. The hope was taking a job closer to their preferred recruiting grounds would help (it is not easy getting kids to Minnesota and Nebraska), but so far doesn't really seem to be the case. If you look at last years class, we lucked out on Bouknight because of his injury, so we didn't have a ton of competition. Jalen was outside the top 100. I will say they did a wonderful job getting Akok (props to Tom). Richie was a top 100 prospect but was trending down.

Obviously I am not giving up on the staff or this class, but it felt like we were in a much better spot last year and we missed several targets on the back end of that class, and we haven't had the best start to this class. It will be interesting to see what happens.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a silly discussion. He didn't "next" us -- he nexted his entire list of finalists. So the thought that this reflects mostly on us, and not him, makes little sense. The two most likely scenarios are (i) his recruiting is going better than he thought, and he's now gotten interest from what he perceives to be the UK, Duke, Kansas level of schools, or (ii) something has happened to him on or off the court that makes his prior finalists not really interested. But the whining that this reflects on us when he threw us out as part of a group doesn't make sense.

Whoa there with the common sense counselor. This board can't handle the truth.

Reaction Score
Was it like Tremont Waters, they have academic programs at Western Kentucky and LSU that are unavilable here

Reaction Score
I will say they did a wonderful job getting Akok

shouldnt we almost always get the elite in-state prospect(s) if the staff wants them? CT isn't exactly a recruiting hot bed. if we missed on tre mitchell and akok in the same year we'd be looking back on the 2019 class a lot differently

Last edited:
Reaction Score
shouldnt we almost always get the elite in-state prospect(s) if the staff wants them? CT isn't exactly a recruiting hot bed. if we missed on tre mitchell and akok in the same year we'd be looking back on the 2019 class a lot differently
So don’t give them credit if they get CT recruits, but discredit them when they don’t. Got it.

Reaction Score
Akok is from Sudan then moved to NH and finally played a couple years of high school ball at Putnam. It's not like he grew up a UConn fan in CT. KO screwed up that relationship but again I credit the staff to repair the damage and sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom