Just wow. Empty building. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Just wow. Empty building.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
buffalo lost to james dominion or old madison, one of those schools when u hear their name makes u think of fife and drums, by 35. people aren't dumb and knew it would be no game.
Buffalo pounded colgate, colgate pounded syracuse. Whats your point?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Play the games during winter break which they used to do. Agree it doesn't make sense when school is in session, but selfishly would love it to be able to take train from NYC

Back in my day, they used to play a game or 2 at the (RIP) New Haven Coliseum over winter break. Could take the train from Stamford. And a game in Bridgeport allows the AD to rub shoulders and wine/dine (current and potential) big money donors from Fairfield County.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That's why Buffalo should have had a bigger crowd. It's a MAC school, not a pure cupcake.
The crowd size was fine. Buffalo will be in the top 200 which isn’t awful. This is a regional solid mid major that people always want to see us play

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Back in my day, they used to play a game or 2 at the (RIP) New Haven Coliseum over winter break. Could take the train from Stamford. And a game in Bridgeport allows the AD to rub shoulders and wine/dine (current and potential) big money donors from Fairfield County.
Did I just say...? ;)

Reaction Score
Buffalo on a Tuesday night. Plus, times have changed.
Attendance has been dwindling in a large part due to demographics ,economics , and conference success.
Since the 2008 recession even in the old BE we started to see a decline
Then the Big East fell apart
Even in winning National Championships we didn’t have the old surge that you would have seen years earlier .
Connecticut has lost population but looking at the macro numbers doesn’t tell the complete story. That loss has been somewhat offset by growth in lower Fairfield Ct and immigration .
Neither group typically is a hotbed of UConn fans , however those that left the state are the prime fan demographic.
As for those who left I’ll use myself as an example . If my son AZHuskie stayed in Ct ( work relocation) and I didn’t follow him after retirement , I would not only be going to games with him and his sons but my daughter son’s as well making generational fans. Tuesday was the first game I ever attended with a grandson , going to live games is addicting.
but starting the tradition is the key. I started taking my son at 9. He found the BY in 1990’s and posts but doesn’t use AZHuskie.
I’ve never seen a poll but I would bet a great number of Boneyarders belong to the Huskie Diaspora.
Economics including ticket prices , also play a role .

Reaction Score
Now this Friday’s game is at Gampel…but the majority of the students probably will have already left campus for break because there are no classes at all Thanksgiving week. The place will probably be a morgue.
Yup. Besides all the out-of-staters going home, you are effectively temporarily evicted from your dorm the weekend leading into a break; at least that’s what I remember from my time at UConn ‘08-12

I think XL games would indeed be better when campus is quieter but there may be some contractual issues that force certain amounts of games in each location that led to the games falling where they do

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They played in New Haven when the Hartford Civic center was being rebuilt.

Reaction Score
We’re still building this thing back from the dungeon it was in a few years ago. Once we become a top 10 team, it will feel like the old days again I’d reckon.
Come on Ray.

Dungeon?

Had a head coach win a natty, then go south.

Reaction Score
When I lived in CT I used to go to several games a year. Once the team got good, you struggled to be able to get a ticket. What happened?
It’s being in the AAC…oh, wait…attendance is generally down for all sports. Lots of factors including the fact that for major programs like UConn regular season games are mostly meaningless. A few are more like “events” Villanova, Creighton maybe, Providence maybe, ( though that is more a local thing ie Friar fans can get to UConn and UConn fans to PC relatively easily) if those teams are really good and we are too. But your run of the mill mid-major on a Tuesday night. People have better ways to spend their time than going to a game they know the ending to on Monday. And it isn’t just UConn. I’d say it is pretty much the same throughout college basketball and even the NBA to a degree.

Reaction Score
They raised ticket prices by like 30% from last year and we haven't played a team in the top 200 yet. I actually thought the crowd at XL was bigger than I was expecting at least in the upper levels. I was most disappointed at the student section, but that's why so many people hate the Hartford games anyway

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Come on Ray.

Dungeon?

Had a head coach win a natty, then go south.
We were in a dungeon when Hurley was hired 5 seasons ago. Is there another word to better describe it? Disaster? A wreck?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nope. Not even close. There were thousands of people sitting in the 200's level. Fans that people that don't go to games will ever see on TV. Fans that never heard of the Boneyard and bought a single game ticket. Those tickets sold are all straight cash to UConn. I judge by how high the critical mass goes up in the second deck. It was pretty high. Not high enough to see from Florida maybe.
Well, not exactly straight cash, right? It cost us 40,000 just to have them open the doors and turn on the lights plus an additional three dollars per ticket. Unless you’re selling out, or very close to it playing in the XL is a money loser.

Gampel on the other hand we don’t have to shell out 40 grand for the privilege of playing plus we get parking in concessions revenue on top of ticket revenue.

I’ve posted the math previously, but even if you have a sold out XL Center with 15,000 fans, you are not making significantly more than you would make at a sold out gamble.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m not sure where you’re going with this but 65% capacity on a Tuesday night for Buffalo is what is expected at this game. And also there is no definition of what “well north” means but they exceeded the 10,000 seat threshold quoted
10,000 wasn’t the threshold, “well north of 10,000” was the threshold. I’m pretty confident he meant more than 112 people over 10,000

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Nobody goes to weekday games in Storrs. Even against good teams.
Nobody? Are you sure about that?

In any event, looking at Chin’s excellent post above
Lease flat rate: $40,500
Facility fee: $30,000
Surcharge: $30,336
Money to XL $100,336

That’s the amount that the university starts out in the hole, based upon last night’s attendance.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yup. Besides all the out-of-staters going home, you are effectively temporarily evicted from your dorm the weekend leading into a break; at least that’s what I remember from my time at UConn ‘08-12

I think XL games would indeed be better when campus is quieter but there may be some contractual issues that force certain amounts of games in each location that led to the games falling where they do
What contractual issues are those?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
correct, I think it was my freshman year, winter break 81/82.
I remember because Michael Adams was telling my buddy he was going to kick his ass while he swished 2 free throws.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hey, its not like they played a weeknight game last week at Gampel that was 90% full oh wait damn!
I know that technically correct is the best kind of correct but framed another way: It was a Friday, no work the next day. It was a national holiday, no school that day. An the XL Center on a Tuesday still outdraws Gampel by a thousand.

CL82

Reaction Score
I know that technically correct is the best kind of correct but framed another way: It was a Friday, no work the next day. It was a national holiday, no school that day. An the XL Center on a Tuesday still outdraws Gampel by a thousand.
Definitionally, then the XL Center is a weekday money loser because 11,000 people there isn’t enough for UConn to make more money than they could make at Gampel given the fact that they start out over $100,000 in the hole at the XL center.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom