Just wow. Empty building. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Just wow. Empty building.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. Playing half the games at XL is already weird enough. Students have to bus in half an hour away to watch their own school play even though there is an on campus arena. For all the complaining about crowd size being too small why would we want to make games even further away for students. This isn't a statewide tour where UConn makes pit stops to play in each county of the state. This is a school that is in Storrs, that should play in Storrs. Fans of teams like Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, etc. consider themselves nearby if their commute is within 90 minutes and that's why they pack the stands for every game. You want to watch a UConn home game...go to UConn's home

Play the games during winter break which they used to do. Agree it doesn't make sense when school is in session, but selfishly would love it to be able to take train from NYC

Reaction Score
could the arena music volume be dropped a notch. Have to scream to converse with a seatmate during stoppages.

Reaction Score
could the arena music volume be dropped a notch. Have to scream to converse with a seatmate during stoppages.
No. especially since they've slowly updated the music from jock jams volume 1... Don't me with the in game arena music

Reaction Score
Agreed. And why bring a pep band if they're going to be featured so little?

Reactions: OEX
Reaction Score
I’m not sure where you’re going with this but 65% capacity on a Tuesday night for Buffalo is what is expected at this game. And also there is no definition of what “well north” means but they exceeded the 10,000 seat threshold quoted
But that’s not the point. If it were on campus, and put those tickets up for sale, the students would fill it.

Reaction Score
Idk why the state and AD have to make this so difficult. All mens and womens game should be held on campus while classes are in session and students are on campus. Put all the games during winter break in Hartford. Both teams would still end up playing 4/5 games in Hartford each year and with the way the schedules broke this year, most of those would be early big east games.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Idk why the state and AD have to make this so difficult. All mens and womens game should be held on campus while classes are in session and students are on campus. Put all the games during winter break in Hartford. Both teams would still end up playing 4/5 games in Hartford each year and with the way the schedules broke this year, most of those would be early big east games.
From a revenue perspective, I’m glad you’re not the real AD and you’re just a burner.

Reaction Score
That game is at 1:00. But the AD simply needs to schedule slightly better teams. Buffalo should have had a bigger crowd.
Maybe not.... the Patriots fanbase is much smaller now in the post Brady era. ;)

Reaction Score
But that’s not the point. If it were on campus, and put those tickets up for sale, the students would fill it.
Really? Do you know what the lower bowl tickets go for??

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe not.... the Patriots fanbase is much smaller now in the post Brady era. ;)
If you say so. I'll be at the Pats - Jets on Sunday. I'm on the season ticket wait list and it's still about a 20 year wait. Guess I need to DVR the UConn game.

Reaction Score
I went to the game and it was honestly a better crowd than I expected.
Same here thought it was a pretty good crowd for Buffalo on a snowy Tuesday night. Once big east play starts both XL and Gampel will pack em in. We should hopefully have a top 15 ranking by then as well, if all goes to plan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I went to the game and it was honestly a better crowd than I expected.
Same here thought it was a pretty good crowd for Buffalo on a snowy Tuesday night. Once big east play starts both XL and Gampel will pack em in. We should hopefully have a top 15 ranking by then as well, if all goes to plan.

And yet UConn's athletic department is poorer in spite of that.

Reaction Score
I guess some people still aren't getting this... UConn is a state university. Benedict has to answer to Radenka Maric, who then has to answer to Ned Lamont & Co. Benedict calls the shots from a scheduling standpoint but has guidelines to operate within. You think the state cares about a losing a few thousand dollars playing at the XL when the state spent $113 Million on CT Fast Track, another $72 Million on Dunkin Donuts Park and $100s of millions of dollars elsewhere in an effort to revitalize the city of Hartford? The bottomline is that want people in the city.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wow I could never! Sounds like you're just a casual UConn fan...
When your friends call you (last night) and say they have 4 club seats to a critical Pats game against your most hated rival, it does trump a UConn blowout against cupcake Delaware State. Which is my point, schedule better teams if you want fans to prioritize the games.

Reaction Score
A) I’m not convinced they would. B) The students have a section of the arena allocated to them, at a significantly discounted rate than the general public pays.

So, maybe the student section is filled, but seats throughout the arena would go unused as they are not priced for the students. Secondly, if we’re discussing it from a revenue standpoint, the students do not factor into that much either way again based on the discounted rate they pay.

Reaction Score
That game is at 1:00. But the AD simply needs to schedule slightly better teams. Buffalo should have had a bigger crowd.
Buffalo is usually better. Not P5 level, but respectable mid-major. Not this year. It's hard to predict that kind of thing in advance.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Buffalo is usually better. Not P5 level, but respectable mid-major. Not this year. It's hard to predict that kind of thing in advance.
That's why Buffalo should have had a bigger crowd. It's a MAC school, not a pure cupcake.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When I lived in CT I used to go to several games a year. Once the team got good, you struggled to be able to get a ticket. What happened?

UB notwithstanding...

1. In-home experience has improved dramatically.
2. In-arena experience has stayed the same or has regressed.
2a. Everything about the In-arena experience costs more.
3. Businesses have moved out of Hartford.

Not to mention the lower bowl attendance has always been a problem for these early season OOC match ups. ALWAYS. Spare me the, "In my day..." mumbo jumble.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
When your friends call you (last night) and say they have 4 club seats to a critical Pats game against your most hated rival, it does trump a UConn blowout against cupcake Delaware State. Which is my point, schedule better teams if you want fans to prioritize the games.
That's fine...you're a casual fan that would rather go watch 2 mediocre football teams instead of our beloved huskies. I don't care who they're playing, nothing makes me happier than watching the huskies play live!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom