Just wow. Empty building. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just wow. Empty building.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn's athletic department lost money playing this game at XL and stroked a check to the state for the privilege of playing there.
Nope. Not even close. There were thousands of people sitting in the 200's level. Fans that people that don't go to games will ever see on TV. Fans that never heard of the Boneyard and bought a single game ticket. Those tickets sold are all straight cash to UConn. I judge by how high the critical mass goes up in the second deck. It was pretty high. Not high enough to see from Florida maybe.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nope. Not even close. There were thousands of people sitting in the 200's level. Fans that people that don't go to games will ever see on TV. Fans that never heard of the Boneyard and bought a single game ticket. Those tickets sold are all straight cash to UConn. I judge by how high the critical mass goes up in the second deck. It was pretty high. Not high enough to see from Florida maybe.

I'm in DC area. It was easier to count the bodies than count the empty seats in the upper bowl.

UConn pays a per-game rent of $40,500 for men’s and women’s basketball and $20,500 for men’s hockey, plus $20,000-$30,000 in facilities fees for each event. The CRDA also collects a $3 surcharge per basketball ticket (up to 12,450 tickets) and a $2 surcharge per ticket for hockey tickets (up to 4,600).

Benedict said attendance must be “well north” of 10,000 for UConn to avoid operating at a loss at the XL Center on a given night. And by playing in Hartford, revenue potential built into events at Gampel is sacrificed. UConn takes no money from XL concessions or parking. It does control sponsorship signage revenue for Hartford games, but not suite or loge seating. Cost and lost opportunity adds up to several millions of dollars, annually.

1668569299576.png

Reaction Score
I'm in DC area. It was easier to count the bodies than count the empty seats in the upper bowl.

UConn pays a per-game rent of $40,500 for men’s and women’s basketball and $20,500 for men’s hockey, plus $20,000-$30,000 in facilities fees for each event. The CRDA also collects a $3 surcharge per basketball ticket (up to 12,450 tickets) and a $2 surcharge per ticket for hockey tickets (up to 4,600).

Benedict said attendance must be “well north” of 10,000 for UConn to avoid operating at a loss at the XL Center on a given night. And by playing in Hartford, revenue potential built into events at Gampel is sacrificed. UConn takes no money from XL concessions or parking. It does control sponsorship signage revenue for Hartford games, but not suite or loge seating. Cost and lost opportunity adds up to several millions of dollars, annually.

View attachment 80743
I’m not sure where you’re going with this but 65% capacity on a Tuesday night for Buffalo is what is expected at this game. And also there is no definition of what “well north” means but they exceeded the 10,000 seat threshold quoted

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Buffalo on a Tuesday night. Plus, times have changed.
1-Buffalo on a Tuesday
2- Hartford (meh)
3-Early in the season (I expect it’ll pick up when conference play starts)

Don’t get it twisted, this isn’t 2006, but UConn is on the upswing . This team is for real, next year’s class is validation that sooner rather than later you’ll be struggling to get tickets once again… except Tuesdays in Hartford v the 6th ranked MAC team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

View attachment 80743
Good. XL should pay them $40k to play there.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
That game is at 1:00. But the AD simply needs to schedule slightly better teams. Buffalo should have had a bigger crowd.
buffalo lost to james dominion or old madison, one of those schools when u hear their name makes u think of fife and drums, by 35. people aren't dumb and knew it would be no game.

Reaction Score
Wasn't empty, just lower bowl behind baskets was bare but need the students to show and can't blame them for not wanting to take a bus to Hartford on a cold snowy night for buffalo.

Reaction Score
What’s worse? The crowd or the transfers?
Indeed. You can all downvote this all you want, but when there's one guy on the floor that you recognize from a prior season, and most of them aren't freshman recruits, its hard for the average fan to make a connection with the team. Add to that the fact that a bunch of guys you were rooting for just up and left and you have a recipe for an empty building.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not sure where you’re going with this but 65% capacity on a Tuesday night for Buffalo is what is expected at this game. And also there is no definition of what “well north” means but they exceeded the 10,000 seat threshold quoted

That's the whole point.
UConn draws a decent crowd and loses money doing so by being forced to play games there.

Reaction Score
That's the whole point.
UConn draws a decent crowd and loses money doing so by being forced to play games there.
Well which one was it, a decent crowd, or a crowd small enough to count the bodies in the upper level easier than empty seats since you have now claimed both.

Reaction Score
Yep they got the scheduling all wrong…

This game should have been at Gampel with the students still on campus and a lack luster opponent… would have been a much better and more lively crowd

Now this Friday’s game is at Gampel…but the majority of the students probably will have already left campus for break because there are no classes at all Thanksgiving week. The place will probably be a morgue.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I never stopped going. While it wasn't anything near sell out, a decent sized crowd that was still engaged

A few years ago, it was an embarrassingly dead building. We spent more time in the bar than our seats

We're rebuilding, and it will be different for big games.

In the GOAT's prime, we used to complain about playing ten cupcakes at home before we changed calendars. So there were enthusiasm issues even then

PS: I think attendance is down nationwide

Reaction Score
You can dislike my post all you want, or you can buy a ticket instead of complaining. As a former president said, don't boo, vote. Not like I made it up. I was busy raising kids and working 2 jobs back then, but always found a way to get to 3 or 4 games a year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Indeed. You can all downvote this all you want, but when there's one guy on the floor that you recognize from a prior season, and most of them aren't freshman recruits, its hard for the average fan to make a connection with the team. Add to that the fact that a bunch of guys you were rooting for just up and left and you have a recipe for an empty building.
Then these fans should connect with the Boneyard where players old and new are analyzed to death.
Plus lots of other exciting things like how to find dead animals in your wall.

Reaction Score
i'd love for some games to be played in Bridgeport again like they did (how ever many seasons ago at this point).
Couldn't disagree more. Playing half the games at XL is already weird enough. Students have to bus in half an hour away to watch their own school play even though there is an on campus arena. For all the complaining about crowd size being too small why would we want to make games even further away for students. This isn't a statewide tour where UConn makes pit stops to play in each county of the state. This is a school that is in Storrs, that should play in Storrs. Fans of teams like Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, etc. consider themselves nearby if their commute is within 90 minutes and that's why they pack the stands for every game. You want to watch a UConn home game...go to UConn's home

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom