Just some thoughts. | The Boneyard

Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think the program and Ollie really messed up with pulling Wolf's scholarship. I get the whole "ten toes in" bullshiit, but I do not think Wolf was treated fairly.
  • He did the crime, and paid the time. In case some of you forgot, he sat out since February 11th. The team went 4-4 after he was suspended. 16-6 with Wolf.
  • I do not understand how Tyler Olander hasn't been treated fairly. He was caught trespassing and drunk (and featured in the worst rap video of all-time). He was not given any punishment other than community service. He was never being considered for suspension or being kicked off the team indefinitely.
  • Before all you jump at my throat saying their crimes aren't comparable; I understand they aren't. But Wolf was acquitted in court and that is that.
  • Cleaning up the program will be another issue. If Ollie really wants to clean the program up, he will have to start recruiting in rich, white-collar neighborhoods instead of getting top recruits. All this garbage happens to every program, but UConn is a hot-topic and is under high levels of scrutiny. That won't change as long as we continue to win.
  • The biggest problem of all is giving Wolf's scholarship away. To me, this looks like Ollie/program is trying to be a ****ing police officer out there. He paid for his mistakes. And you take away his scholarship and give it to some mid-major transfer who only has a fan-base inside his family? Yeah, "ten toes in" right ****ing there. That is a scumbag move by someone who wants to clean up his public perception rather than doing something right. This kid put in months of work over his 3 years here, and then you just take his scholarship away just like that? And give it to a nobody transfer? Yeah that makes sense.
If I was Enosh Wolf, I start looking for a new home. And don't be surprised if Leon Tolksdorf follows in his footsteps. He played a brilliant few minutes against Villanova and then never saw the court again. Not saying he deserved the playing time, but he definitely deserved more than he got. But I wouldn't be surprised if Enosch is getting recruited by other schools that would like to have his services.

And if Wolf leaves, our chances at a title (even a Final 4) are gone. We then have Dre Daniels (who isn't really a big-man, he's more of a hybrid 3-4), Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, and 2 freshman bigs who are skinnier than Daniels was last season. Nolan might improve, but he won't be the savior. Olander will not improve, he's a bum. And Facey/Brimah will take time. They aren't the answer. We will get destroyed on the boards again, much like this year, and it will kill our title chances. If Wolf goes, we'll play the same way as last year, but end up with a slightly better record (because of competition level).
/endrant.

Reaction Score
I think the program and Ollie really messed up with pulling Wolf's scholarship. I get the whole "ten toes in" bullshiit, but I do not think Wolf was treated fairly.

• [ ]He did the crime, and paid the time. In case some of you forgot, he sat out since February 11th. The team went 4-4 after he was suspended. 16-6 with Wolf.
    [ ]I do not understand how Tyler Olander hasn't been treated fairly. He was caught trespassing and drunk (and featured in the worst rap video of all-time). He was not given any punishment other than community service. He was never being considered for suspension or being kicked off the team indefinitely.
    [ ]Before all you jump at my throat saying their crimes aren't comparable; I understand they aren't. But Wolf was acquitted in court and that is that.
    [ ]Cleaning up the program will be another issue. If Ollie really wants to clean the program up, he will have to start recruiting in rich, white-collar neighborhoods instead of getting top recruits. All this garbage happens to every program, but UConn is a hot-topic and is under high levels of scrutiny. That won't change as long as we continue to win.
    [ ]The biggest problem of all is giving Wolf's scholarship away. To me, this looks like Ollie/program is trying to be a *ing police officer out there. He paid for his mistakes. And you take away his scholarship and give it to some mid-major transfer who only has a fan-base inside his family? Yeah, "ten toes in" right *ing there. That is a scumbag move by someone who wants to clean up his public perception rather than doing something right. This kid put in months of work over his 3 years here, and then you just take his scholarship away just like that? And give it to a nobody transfer? Yeah that makes sense.
If I was Enosh Wolf, I start looking for a new home. And don't be surprised if Leon Tolksdorf follows in his footsteps. He played a brilliant few minutes against Villanova and then never saw the court again. Not saying he deserved the playing time, but he definitely deserved more than he got. But I wouldn't be surprised if Enosch is getting recruited by other schools that would like to have his services.

And if Wolf leaves, our chances at a title (even a Final 4) are gone. We then have Dre Daniels (who isn't really a big-man, he's more of a hybrid 3-4), Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, and 2 freshman bigs who are skinnier than Daniels was last season. Nolan might improve, but he won't be the savior. Olander will not improve, he's a bum. And Facey/Brimah will take time. They aren't the answer. We will get destroyed on the boards again, much like this year, and it will kill our title chances. If Wolf goes, we'll play the same way as last year, but end up with a slightly better record (because of competition level).
/endrant.
Wow this is an unbelievably stupid post, you should punch yourself in the face for having typed it.

Reaction Score
"The team went 4-4 after Wolf was suspended"

5 of those 8 games were vs. NCAA tourney teams and also included wins over #6 Cuse and Cincy and a 2OT loss to #7 G-Town.

And yes, we were cruising along with 4 wins in 5 games before Wolf's suspension. But all against non NCAA tourney teams.

Reaction Score
The college has a code of conduct. That's why. Campus and the criminal court system are two different things. No one here knows what the disciplinary board on campus decided.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One of the 10 points in this that are completely wrong is Wolf was not acquitted, the charges were dropped. It is a big difference.
I was going to point that out, but I figured it would just make the rest seem legitimate by comparison.

Reaction Score
what if it was your daughter that he hit? He said he made a mistake but he did it....

Reaction Score
Wow this is an unbelievably stupid post, you should punch yourself in the face for having typed it.

At least he has points, unlike a post that calls someone "stupid" & to "punch yourself in the face".... I guess you should be banned from here for those comments.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Wow. Are you channeling freescooter? Or just trying to challenge him for the dumb post championship?
More like the anti freescooter in that they are diametrically opposite in the punishments they would apply. Stylistically very similar - both beg harder for their respective views. But then I think most of us fans who express our opinions do the same.

To the OP - I'm not sure anyone in these forums knows who made the decision to revoke EW's scholarship. That unknown allows free to say KO is hiding behind the university administration as opposed to having the guts to make the call and allows you to criticize KO for making the call.

The call was made by someone and once again in a society with many people there will always be those who don't like the call and believe they know how to do things better.

The decision has impacts for sure. It directly impacts EW. $42 thousand is a lot of money for most people to lose. My gut tells me EW will struggle to come up with the finances which means he may not be back with the team and that will impact them for sure. The degree of impact on the team is hard to predict. The 4-4 record at the end of the season had a lot to do with injuries to players particularly SN. How much can be attributed to EW's absence is hard to determine. The positive was that Nolan got more playing time and showed marked improvement.

My guess is the majority of fans will believe the punishment was reasonable but there will be a vocal minority who think the punishment was too light or too excessive.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
One of the 10 points in this that are completely wrong is Wolf was not acquitted, the charges were dropped. It is a big difference.

.....nor were the charges ever proven true, in a court of law......it's a big difference

Reaction Score
He did something. He may have been honest with the coaching staff and the team about exactly what. If they decided that this was the best course of action, then I'm ten toes in with that decision.

I think when the number of paragraphs used to defend a player exceeds the number of points per game he averaged, you're overstating your case as to his importance.

Reaction Score
I'll agree with you on one point and that is of Enosch's worth to this program. I think he could be a pretty big contributor next year with numbers that look like 10 and 7 if he can stay out of foul trouble.

However, the rest of your post can only be summed up with one word:

Asinine.

First and for most your hysteria is laughable. Get a grip. We'll be plenty fine withot the likes of Mr. Wolfe if he so chooses not to come back. He's not our knight in shining armor. With Shabazz, DD, Calhoun and the rest of the bunch, if they are playing well late in the year a late tourney run isn't out of question. See 2011 before you start crying over Enosch.

Secondly you come off petulant and ignorant by criticizing the best thing that has happened to UCONN basketball in the last 4 years. You try to criticize an executive decision when you have no clue who's decision it was, the particulars of why it was made, what was said in the conversation and you act as though there was a definite right or wrong decision here.

You undermine a decision that was made as a result of an assault case on a female by a 7 foot male when you also have no clue of the particulars of what happened that night.

You act as if this is the last straw from a guy who is actually our knight in shining armor, a guy who has a great reputation, a true longtime husky guy who has won games against all odds. Who eats sleeps, breathes, and bleeds Husky blue. Who is a fighter and gives us lines like "ten toes in," and "take the stairs, escalators are for cowards". A guy who is gutsy and determined and is still the hardest worker in the gym. A guy who is killing it on the recruiting trail and will continue for years to come.

But you're right lets chastise this guy and cry for the likes of Wolfe getting 1 more year of scholarship and forget everything a true husky in Kevin Ollie has done for us.

Your ignorance almost.....almost didn't dignify a response.......

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
He did something. He may have been honest with the coaching staff and the team about exactly what. If they decided that this was the best course of action, then I'm ten toes in with that decision.

I think when the number of paragraphs used to defend a player exceeds the number of points per game he averaged, you're overstating your case as to his importance.

Agreed he may be overestimating the vast importance of Wolf's worth,
However, I applaud the OP for being a "free thinker" and instead of blindly following the establishment like so many 'yarders do, he took a stand and questioned a move that is hardly "clear-cut"
Lets not make Ollie the next fuhrer here......it's good to question moves, but lets not turn into twelve year olds and threaten a beat down, if someone has a alternative opinion, or god-forbid someone questions the "almighty KO's" decision making...

Reaction Score
Yes, things happen at other Universities and get swept under the rug. But we just came out of loosing scholarships because of things (texts) related to Nate Miles. Who also had a girl problem and got kick out of school. Yes Wolfe went thru a intervention program to get the charges dropped. He did this becuase?

Tyler hurt himself. Wolfe hurt someone else and damage our already damage reputation.

Hopefully for Wolfe lesson learned. The University owes him nothing. He owed the University more than assaulting his girlfriend. That's much more than what most college students do which is drink allitle to much and crash anywhere during spring break.

Reaction Score
lol @ bringing up the team record, as if Bazz, Omar, and Niels being hurt weren't the major contributing factors. consistently one of the worst posters, possibly even worse than free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom